PDA

View Full Version : s&w 686 cylinder mods ?

4rdwhln
08-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Hi all I have a smith 686 that I shoot a pet load of h4227 and the keith style boolit sized to .357. I have been shooting this load and gun for years and it has proven to be the most accurate load so far. I was messing around the other day tho and now the questions. It has always shot the Hornady Xtp better than I could get the lead to shoot. i found out why the cylinder will not let a .357 sized slug thru with out a lot of pressure, no way to push thru by hand.. So in an effort to improve accuracy with the lead i feel i need to enlarge the holes till the .357 slugs slip thru. The barrel slugged at .3565 same as dads old smith .38. I am wondering in doing so will it drastically ruin the accuracy with the xtp? I also would like to know if this a simple job I could tackle at home ? Thanks in advance.

Ben
08-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Best to send the cylinder to " Cylinder Smith."
His web site is down right now ? ?

Or, you could order a reamer from Brownell's and do the work yourself.

Love Life
08-16-2014, 04:28 PM
I thought Cylinder Smith quit the biz? I thought a member here was doing reaming jobs now?

4rdwhln
08-16-2014, 04:50 PM
I grew up in a front end shop, cars just in case ya wandered there. we had expandable hones we used to hone king pin bushings back in the day.. Is it a simple operation like that or ???? off to Brownells...

Tatume
08-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Before you ream the throats on that nice revolver you should get a Lewis Lead Remover and make absolutely certain the throats are clean, down to the bare metal.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

duke76
08-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Doug guy is the guy that does cylinders now I am sure he will be around shortly to chime in