PDA

View Full Version : propane cylinder pot?

allen16323
08-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Want to cut one down and use as a rendering pot, as I have heard a few guys here have done, and was wonder if any one here knows what size the threads for the on/off valve are? Got an idea for a jacket strainer to make life easier as all I deal with is range scrap.

iomskp
08-16-2014, 11:48 AM
I cut one down some time ago to use as a smelting pot, I think the valve thread is 3/4 NPT I will check on Monday.

allen16323
08-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Thank you very much.

JSnover
08-16-2014, 01:43 PM
3/4 NPT sounds about right. If there valve is till in the tank you could just pull it, take it down to wherever you buy fittings and match it up.

allen16323
08-16-2014, 06:59 PM
I have to do something this small pot is killing me!!!

country gent
08-16-2014, 07:34 PM
The propane cylinders make great pots and are easy to do even with simple hand tools. The valve is installed very tight and they can be a real pain to get out. I cut my tanl with a hacksaw by hand the top is still here with the valve in place. The tank was setting in the barn for years with the valve open I rinsed it several times with dish soap and water inside and out then marked with a ring of tape at the size I wanted. Cut it and then cut a 3" ring for new full dia support.

triggerhappy243
08-16-2014, 08:27 PM
yes, make sure there is no propane fumes in the bottle. if you can fill it with water first it will evacuate any propane. cut with a wafer thin 4.5 inch angle grinder blade.

allen16323
08-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah I will need to get the valve out anyway. I am making a bottom drain seperator for melting range scrap got a ring shaped burner that will go around the bottom of the "upper pot" that is where the old on off valve will be with a pipe nipple emptying into a piece of copper pipe bigger but not attached to drain into a "lower pot" on a turkey fryer burner. Will have a ss screen in the upper drain to stop all the jackets. That way I don't have to worry about wet scrap into liquid lead and that tinsel fairy. Top gets full pull it off and dump the jackets for recycling. I think I have a guy that will cut it on a horizontal steel saw when I get the valve out.

dikman
08-17-2014, 06:15 PM
The valve is a normal "clockwise" thread (anti-clockwise to unscrew) and they are a very tight fit! They are also a taper thread. I used a 2 ft. pipe wrench with a piece of pipe for an extension handle and hit it with a very large hammer!

MrWolf
08-17-2014, 06:27 PM
After making sure it us empty including backing out that small screw at valve, I made a mixture of 50/50 acetone/tranny fluid and applied to threads. After several rinse repeats, I used a dead blow hammer to remove. Found it easier than pipe wrench. I used an air saw to make first opening big enough to fit sawzall blade. Sawzall cuts it like butter.

Ron

Yodogsandman
08-18-2014, 01:17 AM
I have to do something this small pot is killing me!!!
Me too! Watching this thread with great interest.

jmort
08-18-2014, 01:28 AM
I have two and a third to do. The local scrap yard sells them with the old valves for $5. The local propane company removes the valve for free to upgrade to new valve in a specialized fixture. I have valve removed, So that part is easy for me. Might want to check with a propane company. Once valve is out, turn it upside down for a day then fill it with soapy water and let it sit for a day. I do it twice and then use tape/ sharpie to mark line above the weld a couple inches and cut with a cut-off blade on a grinder. Then clean cut up with a grinder. Done.

Forrest r
08-18-2014, 07:53 AM
I simply took a thin 4 1/2" cutting wheel to mine. I filled it with water then cut the brass valve off, cut it off about 1/2" above the top of the tank. The 2 holes in what's left of the valve let moisture/smoke out of the pot when I'm smelting.

Those tanks are put together with a re-enforcing ring around the 2 halves where the weld that joined them together is. I cut mine just below the weld and it left that ring attached to the top half (lid) of the tank. That inner ring makes an excellent seal for the pot. I usually process 100# of lead at a time with this setup.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/propaneleadpot.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/propaneleadpot.jpg.html)

allen16323
08-18-2014, 10:15 AM
I got the line on 2 old 100lbs bottles going to see what the guy wants for them. If I get them my pot will be the size of a 20lbs propane cylinder by its self, which will be good because I need a big pot to blend all my scrap so I can alloy it all at once.

allen16323
08-18-2014, 10:16 AM
I simply took a thin 4 1/2" cutting wheel to mine. I filled it with water then cut the brass valve off, cut it off about 1/2" above the top of the tank. The 2 holes in what's left of the valve let moisture/smoke out of the pot when I'm smelting.

Those tanks are put together with a re-enforcing ring around the 2 halves where the weld that joined them together is. I cut mine just below the weld and it left that ring attached to the top half (lid) of the tank. That inner ring makes an excellent seal for the pot. I usually process 100# of lead at a time with this setup.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/propaneleadpot.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/propaneleadpot.jpg.html)

Do you do range scrap or we?

dikman
08-18-2014, 06:51 PM
By removing the valve and welding up the hole you can make two pots from one cylinder. I cut the join off to make a ring, cut out a section of ring to make it smaller and welded it to the "top" half (after removing the handle bit). I fitted rebar handles for convenience and found them very handy for moving it.

Forrest r
08-19-2014, 07:36 PM
100# of range scrap @ 1 time.