PDA

View Full Version : 9mm, 158gr. and WST anybody??

jayjay1
08-16-2014, 04:22 AM
Hey guys,
I want to try the LEE 358-158 RF in my 9mm Luger, just for the heck of it and to take a look if it will bring a smooth subsonic load.

I want to use Winchester WST, which performs very well with my 147gr. bullets.

Could you give me some load datas for this bullet in the 9mm Luger?
If it is not WST, I wouldn´t bother it, just for having a direction any load woud be good.

Best regards,
Jay

petroid
08-16-2014, 10:53 AM
I have used it in 40 with 175 lee swc pc'd. Works great. Haven't used in 9mm and oddly hodgdon doesn't have any 9mm data for it.

tazman
08-16-2014, 05:05 PM
I have used WST in my 9mm with excellent results with lighter weight boolits. I have used it from 95 up to 135 grain boolits. It burns very clean and is accurate in my pistols. I don't use it with heavier boolits because there are slower, better suited powders available.
I load 4.3 grains under a 120 grain Lee tc and 4.0 under a 135 grain NOE 135 rf. I don't know what to recommend for a 158 grain. I use AA7 and Herco for my big boolits. Blue dot is also suitable.

30calflash
08-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Sorry, I haven't tried WST in a 9mm load but I used 3.0 grains of Bullseye with 158 gr. RNL (Lyman, IIRC) and a Remington 158 gr SWCHP. These thru a Browning HP and it functioned and grouped well. 3.5 grains of Unique did the same but the BE load shot better. Magazine length for seating depth, you don't want to bury them in the case.

Petrol & Powder
08-17-2014, 02:16 PM
WSF is my all time favorite powder for 9mm but it is next to impossible to find these days. I load 20ga shotgun shells with WSF as well and I liked having one powder for both applications. WSF was actually easier to find than WST back when shotgun powders were available at all.

jayjay1
08-18-2014, 01:11 AM
Thanks to all of you!
But unfortunately I can´t do this project.

I´ve set some dummies with different OALs.
The CZs have a veeery short chamber, so I had to use an OAL of 1,004".

The joke is, that this dummy still doesn´t bulk the brass, maybe because of the BB and the short bullet (0,632"), it goes smoothly into the chamber and drops free out of the barrel.
That means, it can be done.

But the burning volume (correct term?) in the brass is way to small.

With an OAL of 1,06" it could be done, says Quickload.
But with 1,004" I will have horrible pressure loads (with progressive powders, 150% and more won´t work [smilie=1: ) or I will have extreme over pressures up to a multiple of the approved pressure (offensive powders).

So I have to burry this experiment unfortunately.

The only solution would be to ream the chamber or get another pistol with a longer one.

But, either way, thank you guys for your help here!
:drinks: