PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Bear Mauling, very close to home this time...

AlaskanGuy
08-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Here it is.... I know this gal, and her philosophy was, and I quote, "I Never take a gun when I am out hiking".... I bet she will change her thinking now... I am glad she is ok...

http://www.adn.com/article/20140813/woman-mauled-brown-bear-cordova-hiking-trail

Thea Thomas tried to step off the trail as a brown bear sprinted toward her, chasing a friend’s dog that she had brought along for a hike in Cordova on Tuesday afternoon. Yet in an instant, Thomas was flat on the ground, face-to-face with an angry bear that bit her repeatedly during the mauling on Heney Ridge Trail.

“By the end, I was thinking, ‘I could die here,’ ” Thomas said from an Anchorage hospital Wednesday, where she was medevaced after the attack.

Thomas, a 57-year-old commercial fisherman, has lived in the Southcentral Alaska community of Cordova for 32 years, she said. “I hike those trails all the time.”

Heney Ridge Trail is a 4.1-mile trail that follows Hartney Bay before climbing up through spruce-hemlock forest, salmon-spawning streams and a mile of steep incline up above the treeline, according to the U.S. Forest Service website.

The trail “is probably the most common place over the 30 years I’ve lived there that I’ve seen bears,” she said.

Bears on the trail have always run off at the first sight of humans, she said, and are normally seen near the trail head.

Thomas had hiked far past the trail head on Tuesday, past salmon carcasses that had washed up from a high tide, and past where the trail veers away from a salmon-spawning creek.

The trail had opened from dense forest into a series of grassy meadows. She was walking on a boardwalk that cut through the meadow. The two dogs -- her 1-year-old blue heeler, Kiska, and a friend’s Akita -- had run off out of sight, she said.

Then, “I started to hear this growling,” Thomas said. “Immediately I thought ‘That’s not a plane -- that’s something else.’ ”

The growling seemed to be about 25 feet away. Then she saw the Akita run up onto the trail and sprint toward her. “The bear was literally on its butt,” Thomas said. She tried to step off the trail.

The Akita ran past her, but the bear didn’t. Within seconds, the bear had knocked her flat on the ground.

“He was so pissed off, he was growling, angry, shaking his head,” Thomas said. “He just started biting me. I’m yelling ‘No! No!’” she said.

She described the brown bear as 6-7 feet tall on its hind legs, with a thick auburn-orange coat. The bear appeared to be in good health.

“I kept thinking he was going to stop,” Thomas said.

But the attack continued. The bear walked away a couple of times, but would then turn back and bite her again, she said. At one point she tried to get up, but it pulled her back, she said.

“He wanted revenge; that’s what he acted like,” Thomas said.

She huddled into the fetal position and placed her right arm over her head, which she believes protected her neck and head. “He took a pretty darn good chunk out of my right arm, my right leg, my right side,” she said.

“I don’t remember him ever clawing me,” she said.

The bear continued to attack, shaking her and trying to roll her over. “Time seemed to kind of slow down a little and I thought, ‘Well, I might not get out of this one,’ ” Thomas said.

Eventually, the bear walked off. She waited a while, “and then I had to walk out because there was no one there,” she said. She thought, “I’ve just got to start walking.”

Her dog, Kiska, joined her on the trail. “I was really happy she was OK,” Thomas said. Thomas didn’t look down at her injuries, but she knew there was blood. Kiska was licking at the blood on her pants, she said.

She walked about a mile and a half back to the car. “It was very painful,” she said, and she was dizzy. Once she got to her car, the Akita was waiting for her.

She was medevaced to an Anchorage hospital on Tuesday. “I’ve got a feeling I’m going to be here a while,” she said.

The bear bit her around seven times, she said. The worst bites were to her back and inner thigh.

Thomas said she was exceedingly lucky. “He didn’t get any major arteries or internal organs,” she said. “He didn’t get my head or neck.”

The wounds are so deep that they need to heal from the inside out before getting surgery to close up the wounds, she said. Doctors also mentioned getting plastic surgery eventually, she said.

Despite the trauma, “I feel fine,” Thomas said.

Looking forward, “I will never go into the woods without bear spray, or a horn, or a gun, again,” Thomas said.

There are no plans to go after the bear, said Charlotte Westing, wildlife biologist for Fish and Game in Cordova.

“The bear acted in defense of its food source,” Westing said. “We believe that’s the nature of the attack.”

“The message I would like for people to understand is that pets are a real wild card when you’re hiking on trails,” Westing said.

On Wednesday, the U.S. Forest Service issued a temporary trail closure of Heney Ridge Trail, which was closed to the public until further notice. Westing said that the trail will likely be closed for a week.

waksupi
08-16-2014, 12:14 AM
Yep, if you have a dog with you in bear country, they better be trained to stay at heel. They are very adept at finding bears, and bringing them back to the human at high speed.

AlaskanGuy
08-16-2014, 12:39 AM
If they dont heal, it's the choke chain and leash.... Lol

That makes 8 maulings this year...

starmac
08-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Maybe she will carry a gun from now on, if for no other reason but to shoot the dog. lol

crowbuster
08-16-2014, 08:52 AM
That blows my mind. You guys arent know for your leave it to chance attitude. Why in the world not have a gun? Glad it wasnt worse

RED333
08-16-2014, 08:55 AM
WOW, praying for her.

starnbar
08-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Hey down here in florida my blue tick brought me 2 boar hogs right to the truck the blue dog jumped in the truck bed and was barking at me CHOOT EM PA CHOOT EM

DougGuy
08-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Man that girl is just ate up with that special kind of stupid no? And she, KNOWING the imminent danger, KNOWING this particular trail is where she sees bears, kept on with the stupid? Most of us read the paper you know, surf the net, we are up on things local to us, we would know that if we do not have a gun, MAYBE, just MAYBE it might not be a good time to go in the woods! SMH....

The ironic part is, most people that are THIS stupid, are the ones holding public office! Still SMH..

pmer
08-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Sounds like she had a little bit of time to employ some sort of defense too. I bet that lady is going to be in pain for a while.. Dang, between shark week on Nat Geo and bears up north I know my part of the food chain!

I saw a huge blackie just out side of Luck, WI. while I was doing a U turn to get to a tractor pull and my mother in law had one go across her yard in mid day. She might have to change her scrap food dumping habits.

I think we need to invent a new gun with spray and a horn..it could be called a Horny Spray Gun!

AlaskanGuy
08-16-2014, 10:56 AM
I already have a spray gun... Mine sprays Lead... :violin::violin:

waksupi
08-16-2014, 11:39 AM
About a week ago up here in Glacier National Park, a griz charged a guy from Texas. He sprayed it, apparently didn't work so he shot it once with his pistol. So, there is a wounded griz wandering around in the park somewhere.

Tom_in_AZ
08-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Sounds like I'd be carrying a minimum of .44 mag with water dropped keith bullets in that situation. Heck I carry that anyways and we don't have brown bears

AlaskanGuy
08-17-2014, 10:53 AM
I carry the 310 grain Lee cast hard for penetration... Thank god I have never needed to shoot one with it....

AG

BruceB
08-17-2014, 01:16 PM
I've said it repeatedly here, but one more time:

On numerous occasions, I have fired .44 Magnum cast 265-grain SWCs COMPLETELY THROUGH Wood Bison and moose..... completely through, in THIS side and out the OTHER side.

These were adult animals, some over 1000 pounds (based on total weight of meat derived from the carcasses).

Why on earth would I want MORE penetration? To make a longer hole in the AIR on the far side?

Heavier bullets usually mean more recoil, meaning longer recovery time between shots. "Time" might be a valuable commodity in a desperate situation.

For the life of me, after my use of the .44 on HEAVY animals, I see no need whatever for anything heavier than those 429244s in the .44 revolver. They will penetrate THROUGH the vitals of any bear that lives, and likely exit the far side as well.

starmac
08-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Bruce, I like the heavys, right or wrong, here is my reasoning. God forbid I ever have to use it, I am not concerned as much as vitals as much as breaking large bone mass, I would be more concerned with vitals after the threat is over. I know a lighter chunk of lead can accomplish this, but am just more comfortable with heavier when hitting a shoulder or something of the nature.

AlaskanGuy
08-17-2014, 02:34 PM
I have heard your reasoning many times bruce, and believe it to be true.... :drinks:

For me, I want every advantage... If a bit more lead does a bit more damage to a charging Brownie filled with adrenalin, give me a bit more lead... Not only that Bruce, but typically, a Brownie is not going to turn sideways to give you a direct vital shot.. it is going to be comming fast, head down with the Huge skull tilted in a way that makes it easy to deflect a boolit, and hard to hit the vitals. Generally, you will be aiming for center mass and praying for a spine hit from the front. The 310gr Lee boolit is the largest I can shoot well out of my "Ported" revolver... I am sure I can fire in as rapid sucession with my 310 gr boolit as you can shoot your Revolver with Kieth boolits. To each his own... Give me the biggest bullet I can fire well from the largest cal that I can carry and shoot well in my hand....

Everybody has their own feelings about this one Bruce, and if you are gunna bank your life on a boolit, be sure you bank it on one you believe in. For you, it is the Awesome Kieth boolit. You probably dont have to worry much about brown bears too much going from your front door to your truck in day to day life. I am positive you have spent some time in Bear country though.. I also cast/use the Kieth, but I like the Lee better.... If its what I shoot well with, and what my gun likes, and what I believe in, then it is the right boolit for me to carry... Maybe the boolit is too heavy for your desires, or feel that it is too much boolit for the job and overkill, but for me its just right.... Kinda like the bears in the Nursery Rhyme.... this poorage is too hot, this poorage is too cold, and this one is Just right... :D The Lee 310 is Just Right for me. :D

AG

waksupi
08-17-2014, 02:38 PM
I'm with Bruce. If anything heavier was needed, Uncle Elmer would have been shooting them.

BRobertson
08-17-2014, 02:53 PM
I've said it repeatedly here, but one more time:

On numerous occasions, I have fired .44 Magnum cast 265-grain SWCs COMPLETELY THROUGH Wood Bison and moose..... completely through, in THIS side and out the OTHER side.

These were adult animals, some over 1000 pounds (based on total weight of meat derived from the carcasses).

Why on earth would I want MORE penetration? To make a longer hole in the AIR on the far side?

Heavier bullets usually mean more recoil, meaning longer recovery time between shots. "Time" might be a valuable commodity in a desperate situation.

For the life of me, after my use of the .44 on HEAVY animals, I see no need whatever for anything heavier than those 429244s in the .44 revolver. They will penetrate THROUGH the vitals of any bear that lives, and likely exit the far side as well.

Bruce ,
I have seen your posts on that before,

There is a difference in shooting thru an animal in a controlled situation, I.E., while it is lying down dead at your feet!!

You have the advantage of choosing your shot. In a hunting situation, a less than perfect shot might be taken.
I have killed several moose in hunting situations, (I have hunted exclusively with a .44 revolver since 1970) and I have
killed 4 brown bear/ grizzlys with a .44, plus sheep, goats, deer, caribou, plus dispatching animals during my many years of guiding!

Not all of those have been with the heavy for caliber bullets. I started using them in the early eighties/ late seventies when J.D. Jones came out with his SSK heavies.
I used the 240 Sierra (the old non- serrated jacket version that did not expand. the hollow cavity would always fill up with flesh as it penetrated the hide) because it was very accurate in all my .44s. It did a good job, and always penetrated very well, HOWEVER , I was always aware of the necessity to pick my shot.
With the 300 grainers, I am confident that if I " have" to take a raking shot, I will get complete penetration!! I much prefer 2 holes!!
To heck with expansion and energy dump, which is VERY over rated!!
I wish the heavies would have been around in the seventies, when I was a State Trooper here in Alaska. It would have made a big difference in the job of finishing off road injured moose!!
I use the 300gr (plus or minus 10 grn) for everything now. It is an exceptional killer!!

Bob

BruceB
08-17-2014, 03:04 PM
I firmly agree that we each should choose what we are most-comfortable with.

However, I've made a life-long "study" of what works, and why, and how.

For instance, the breaking of bone with the .44.

I PURPOSELY fired those 429244s through the shoulder areas of the moose and bison. I was most interested in finding-out if the ammunition could be depended upon for worst-case episodes, because I lived and worked in country that hosted grizzlies and even polar bears.

I knew that if the bullet reliably penetrated the larger body mass of moose and bison, INCLUDING BONE, it would surely do the same on bears.

Given the choice, I'd take a rifle any day, but that's mostly because the rifle can be fired more accurately, and at longer distance. Howver, as we all know, a rifle is a cumbersome thing to carry, and will often be placed somewhere just out of reach while we do various things.

Cumbersome or not, in polar bear country we carried the rifle all day, every day.

Just a note of comparison.... I had occasion to use a .404 Jeffery with steel-jacket SOLIDS on bison. These are bullets designed NOT to expand, just penetrate on heavy game. The bullets weighed 400 grains, and are almost precisely the same diameter as our .44 magnum bullets.... they're .424", but making 2150 fps.

Those bullets also penetrated completely through bison, sometimes breaking bone en route, and rarely did the bison show any more reaction than they did with the .44 revolver.

If the 300-plus bullets fit one's "comfort zone", that's fine. I only want to bring out the fact that a regular-weight SWC (i.e.: Keith-type) bullet will do the job effectively. O' Elmer really did know a thing or two.

By the way, in my EXPERIENCE with bears, center-of-mass on an approaching bear is the shot to take.... most of my bears almost always reactrd to the hit, giving more time for follow-up shots. A shoulder hit from the front is much easier that that oh-so-beloved brain shot that everyone touts as impossible.

(Don't shoot a bear uphill from you if it can possibly be avoided... it will often roll to the side of the hit, and you do not want to be downhill from the animal when that happens!)

starmac
08-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Truth be told, if I ever have to deal with a grizzly with ill intentions, I hope I have something with a lever, a longer barrel, and even heavier chunks of lead, like say 405 gr. lol

AlaskanGuy
08-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Boy Aint that the Truth.....

"(Don't shoot a bear uphill from you if it can possibly be avoided... it will often roll to the side of the hit, and you do not want to be downhill from the animal when that happens!)"

AlaskanGuy
08-17-2014, 03:59 PM
My wife caries her 870 Pump CB with tube extension, loaded with slugs and buckshot.... Same thing the Forest Service and Fish and game Issue.... She has a hard time with the 44.. Just too large a gun for her tiny hands.... She can handle the recoil but just cant get her fingers anchored well... I think that she has the best chance of standing down a brownie... she slings it to her back and pratices getting it into shooting position at the range... she is not as fast as I am with my 44, but her 12g is way more effective... I feel pretty safe when she has her 12g strapped on and I am carrying my 44 with 310's when we are out picking berries or mushrooms or fishing.... we are really "loaded " for bear then... :D

AG

BruceB
08-17-2014, 06:32 PM
My ex-wife killed a wounded bull moose with a Ruger Super Blackhawk..... one-handed due to injuries received when her rifle blew up.

Sixty-five yards, dead-right-there. I reckon it helps to have the right incentive!

That was with those same 429244 maximum-effort handloads we always carried.

fatnhappy
08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
My ex-wife killed a wounded bull moose with a Ruger Super Blackhawk..... one-handed due to injuries received when her rifle blew up.

That sounds like an interesting story I'd like to hear.

BruceB
08-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Do a search for "Karen moose"

The thread was titled "The Day Karen Met The Moose".

fatnhappy
08-17-2014, 07:03 PM
roger. thanks Bruce

for the benefit of others

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13530-The-Day-Karen-Met-the-Moose

waksupi
08-18-2014, 12:28 AM
If you are shooting bears, or any other large game with hollow points, you need to change your hobby or profession. Bad choice.

BRobertson
08-18-2014, 01:32 AM
If you are shooting bears, or any other large game with hollow points, you need to change your hobby or profession. Bad choice.
If that is in reference to my use of the old Sierra 240 gr .44 load, I think you need to reread what I said. The OLD Sierra hollow cavities were not at all expanding type bullets. I say that from a lot of experience with them on heavy animals. They never expanded at revolver velocities. I alluded to my use of them to compare that to the 240-250 cast
The hollow cavity always filled with flesh or fat and acted like a solid. The few that I was able to recover never had more than a dent in the
exposed lead. The new Sierras have a different jacket, and serrations along the jacket to enhance expansion.
I only use heavy cast now.

I am happy with my profession, thanks, and my hobbies!!

Bob

Moonie
08-18-2014, 09:31 AM

I believe this says it all...

AlaskanGuy
08-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Here is another sign....

pricedo
08-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Ruger Super Red Hawk with 7 1/2" barrel along with a 20" bbl pre-safety Rossi Model 92 both in 454 Casull both using the same 454 Casull cartridge pushing a 335 grain hard cast lead FN bullet.
No scope on either.

starmac
08-22-2014, 01:54 AM
Got stuck all day on a road job at Tanacross today. One of the villagers came around first thing this morning and told us to be on the lookout, it seems one of the villagers had wounded a bear this morning, and it got away. I didn't get the skinny of what he used to wound it or how bad. lol
It did give the flag girls a warm and fuzzy feeling. lol