PDA

View Full Version : Lee Collet die ??

racepres
01-27-2008, 02:32 PM
For those who have a lee collet die, Are you able to size to some point other than "factory spec"? In other words can I control how far I reduce the neck diameter? Thanks MV

James C. Snodgrass
01-27-2008, 02:39 PM
The only way to make it smaller would be to turn down the mandrel, and open the gap between the fingers on the collet . You can chuck up the mandrel in your drill and turn down with file or emory paper, And a dremel cut off wheel should slide in between the fingers. To size less just don't put as much pressure on the die when decapping and sizing.

racepres
01-27-2008, 02:41 PM
No Sorry I was not to go smaller!! I want to stop at a point Larger!! So Would I need a larger mandrel? Thanks.. MV

sturf
01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Thats correct. Also, if you grind a small amount say 1/16 in. off the top of the collet, it will leave the end of the case belled saving a separate opperation and not working the brass with an M die.

JeffinNZ
01-27-2008, 05:38 PM
For those who have a lee collet die, Are you able to size to some point other than "factory spec"? In other words can I control how far I reduce the neck diameter? Thanks MV

The good folk at the Lee custom shop will make you a mandrel to spec if you contact them via their website. My limited experience with them is they are very efficient and helpful. They made me a set of dies (collet) for my .303 Pygmy wildcat.

racepres
01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Thank You very much to all who responded.. I appreciate it.. MV

fourarmed
01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Another thing about the collet dies you should know. The metal on metal contact can cause galling and result in a die that "grabs" the neck and sets back the shoulder so that a round won't chamber. I had one for 7mmBR that did that. I took it apart and sanded down the gall burrs and lubed it, and now it works fine. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has encountered this.

Nueces
01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
I do the same debur and lube to my FCDs. I guess the Lee-menting process should apply to most Lee products. Which is OK with me - that FCD is a work of art for the money.

Mark

Pepe Ray
01-28-2008, 04:49 PM
fourarmed;
If you please, explain to me what your talking about.
I've always understood that 'galling' took place where
1. rubbing of similar metals or
2. rubbing without lubrication
In the collet die I see no rubbing on the case. There is some within the die parts but nothing to contact the brass.
What am I missing here?
Pepe Ray

racepres
01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Yea guys... Don't hold out now... I'm ona roll!!!
I am wanting to size some necks, to a bit larger than normal, rather than "work" them as much as an oversize chamber neck requires!! MV

mtgrs737
01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I sent a brand new set of Lee Collet dies to Lee with the boolit I wanted to load and they reworked them to the larger diameter of the new boolit. Cost me $10 including shipping back to me, what a bargain and they had them back to me in two weeks!

fourarmed
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Pepe Ray, the collet sizer has 4 fingers that are pressed together against the mandrel by being forced up into a conical recess. It has been a while since I had it apart, but if I recall, the collet fingers are steel and the recess is aluminum. Anyway, I took mine apart, and it was not pretty. It took some stoning and polishing to get it to where it would work smoothly. I lubed it with Lubriplate, and it sized more cases in an hour than it had in all the years I owned it.

Pepe Ray
01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
OK, I misunderstood.
I thought you meant that the die dragged on the case neck to pull it rather than squeeze it.
Yes I noted the dragging in the tapered section of the die. A clean up/lube is necessary.
Thanks.
Pepe Ray