PDA

View Full Version : New 357 and some questions (pics)

theMickster
08-15-2014, 07:00 PM
I just needed to have a revolver. I found a pretty decent S&w 686 stainless 5".
I had decided it would be 357 and already had cast about a pint of Lyman 162 SWC. While I was loading the first dummy rou d for fitting I noticed a NOE 35-360GC 200 grain sitting there and decided to stuff it into a dummy case as well.
Has anyone used that specific bullet in their 357? I would imagine I'd have to be careful with so much case capacity being used up by the bullet.

Cherokee
08-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Never went that heavy in 357. What powder(s) are you thinking of ? I'm sure some on here are using that boolit so you should get some info. I have a 5" 686+ and its a great shooter.

edctexas
08-15-2014, 07:35 PM
very interested in any answers as I have a 686 also. Have you slugged the barrel and chamber throats?
Ed

Big Boomer
08-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Obviously, that 200 gr. boolit is for a rifle, not a handgun. However, I have shot 180 gr. boolits that are pretty heavy for a .357 with great success and plan on doing it again in a S&W M27 with a 5" barrel. Keep in mind that any S&W is a bit on the fragile side compared with, say, a Ruger. If you attempt this, be sure to load it down in terms of the amount of powder you use, and make it a medium-fast powder, something like Blue Dot, Red Dot or Unique, nothing as fast as Bullseye (You are on your own in doing this). If the boolit exits the barrel and the recoil doesn't seem to be too severe, you will find that the sights will be off. The boolit will probably impact way high and you won't be able to get the rear sight screwed down low enough to be on target most likely, but you will find that the boolit will be quite accurate. I've shot 400 gr. boolits in a 5-shot .45 Colt Ruger Bisley that were very accurate, but 4 rounds would jack the 5th round boolit out of the cartridge case and tie up the revolver if I tried to get much velocity out of it. Just too heavy for the caliber, like you are contemplating with the 200 gr. boolit in your .357. A 200 gr. boolit in the .38 Special has been used in the distant past. It produced quite low velocity, less than 700 fps. if I recall correctly. Keep a brass rod handy in case of a stuck boolit. Years ago I tried some .35 caliber spitzer jacketed rifle bullets in a S&W M66 that shot really well with a load of Unique I do not remember. Had to deep-seat them they were so long. They proved to be very accurate as well but impacted very high. Interesting to experiment with stuff like this but very impractical. Big Boomer

theMickster
08-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys!
I was able to find some data on the 38/200.
I have not slugged it yet or measured the throats yet. Just got yesterday.....

Powders on hand:
Red Dot, imr 4227, sr4759, aa7, allaint steel, and trailboss