PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap squirrel rifle

indianadeerhunter2018
08-15-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm 14 years old and am looking for a first 22. I've shot many before that were my dads and I own a mossberg 500 I'm just looking at purchasing my own 22. Preferably under 200 bucks and accurate enough for squirrels, coons, rabbits, etc. I need a full size rifle, not a Crickett or a savage rascal(I'm 6'1 190 pounds). Not looking for anything fancy just an accurate cheap 22. Bolt or semi auto. Also, I purchased a brick of 22 shorts and would like to be able to shoot these through the rifle along with LR rounds.

richhodg66
08-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Start looking around on used racks. I really like the older Remington bolt actions (510,511.512, 513) but lots of good Marlins and Mossbergs and Stevens out there too. Pretty sure you can have a nice one for a lot less than $200.

I picked up an older Marlin Model 60 about a year ago when they made them real nice; good walnut, rich gloss bluing, for $100 out the door. It's a good rifle if you like autoloaders. Of course, the Ruger 10/22 can't be beat, but they never appealed to me like some of the older ones.

NavyVet1959
08-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Have you priced .22LR ammo lately? Have you even been able to FIND it?

If you cast your own bullets and reload your ammo, you can shoot a .38/.357 for cheaper than .22LR these days. A single shot H&R might be a good choice. If you are really only wanting .22 caliber though, consider a .223 and reloading it down to .22LR velocities. You can get a LOT of .223 bullets out of a pound of lead.

richhodg66
08-15-2014, 06:28 PM
This is currently true. I like to hope .22 LR will eventually get back to almost like it used to be.

That said, when I got frustrated enough with the current situation, I found a nice Savage 219 in .22 Hornet that had been scoped already and started experimenting. It was not difficult to get subsonic .22 LR ballistics and accuracy with a cast bullet, no gas check and 1.5 grains of Bullseye set off with a small pistol primer. This load is significantly cheaper than .22 LR ammo, BUT, I am an experienced caster and reloader and had all the stuff I needed to start the project. Since you're only 14, I assume that isn't the case for you, so a .22 rimfire is probably a good idea (every kid needs a .22).

Hang around this site and learn a lot. In the meantime, keep shopping for a good .22. I still like older ones and think you get a better rifle for the money with a used older one, but nearly every .22 rifle out there is plenty accurate for small game hunting. Buy what you can afford and what suits you. If you find a specific model you like, ask on here before you buy, surely there will be someone on here with extensive experience with the model of rifle in question who can give you a review. Good luck!

rking22
08-15-2014, 06:51 PM
2nd that thought on buying used! The older bolt rifles are enerally a very good buy. Look at the Marlins in paticular. Winchesters and Remington also .but hey are sometimes marked up. Winchester 67 or 67a are affordable single shots and shoot very well. he older ones also have been a little less ammo picky for me. hat is a good thing nowdays. As far as shooting the shorts, only a very few autos will feed them. Remington 550 and the newer one, cant remember. Forget shooting shorts in a normal 1022 or Marlin 60. The bolts will all shoot both. Everyone needs a 22LR :) or 3

trails4u
08-15-2014, 07:11 PM
IF you could find an older Browning T-bolt (older means 60s-70s)...they are absolute tack drivers!! I have a 1966...was given to me by my old scoutmaster from my boy scouting days. It's probably the most accurate 22 rifle I've ever held. They're getting to be a bit collectable, so I'm told, so that may have driven the price up....but if you could find one cheap, you would not go wrong!!

richhodg66
08-15-2014, 07:34 PM
You have to have a certain number of posts, but try posting in the want to buy forum with what you're looking for and your price range. Someone might work a good deal for you and there may be someone local to avoid shipping headaches.

indianadeerhunter2018
08-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Have you priced .22LR ammo lately? Have you even been able to FIND it?

If you cast your own bullets and reload your ammo, you can shoot a .38/.357 for cheaper than .22LR these days. A single shot H&R might be a good choice. If you are really only wanting .22 caliber though, consider a .223 and reloading it down to .22LR velocities. You can get a LOT of .223 bullets out of a pound of lead.

Would 38 and 223 leave anything left to the squirrel? I don't know but I would think that's a bit overkill. And would the 38 be accurate enough for squirrels? And I'm sitting on 1,000 rounds of LR and 700 shorts, not worried about ammo

richhodg66
08-15-2014, 07:58 PM
With a wadcutter at mid range velocities, a .38 would be great. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to me there's no reason a guy couldn't do with a .223 what I did with a .22 Hornet and duplicate .22 rimfire performance.

starmac
08-15-2014, 08:32 PM
I would watch for any older bolt action. It should not be too hard to find something in your price range. A couple of years ago, I picked up a model 25 marlin for a crisp hundred dollar bill, that was a sweet shooter. I have an old savage (not for sale) semi auto that is designed to handle shorts, but you work the bolt like a manual. I wouldn't leave lever actions out of the picture either. The blued henrys come up ocassionally in your price range, and are actually pretty good shooters usually.

indianadeerhunter2018
08-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Would 44 special be overkill?

richhodg66
08-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Load it as light as you can. See if you can find some .430 round balls, those might work great.

Uncle Grinch
08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Some states allow only rimfire for small game, so you need to check your regulations. Like stated earlier the older Remingto 510 and it's variants, along with the Winchester 67 and it's variants were the staple of 22 rifles and will last forever it not abused. Thaey can be tack drivers and teach marksmanship when they are single shots. You have to make those shots count!

Check out the pawn shops and for sale forums.

rking22
08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
I love those long barreled single shots. Will probably be in the woods with a Rem 33 next weekend. They are very quite with subsonics and resonable with the walmart carton stuff. They are man sized rifles that carry easy and shoot very well. Wish they made something even close today! Everything I see new has a plastic stock and frequently plastic sights and more. Just oldschool I guess, but suspect there won't be much interest in todays plastic wonders 50 years from now!

country gent
08-15-2014, 09:35 PM
The ruger 10/22 is a great rifle that is easy to carry very accurate and available new and used. But it probably will not function with shorts. Mostt semi auto dont do well with them. A good used bolt action, lever action, even some pumps are up to the task you described. I have hunted squirrel with a 38 revolver and wadcutter target grade ammo with good results. Little meat damage as bullet didnt expand it cut6 a 38 caliber hole in and out. There are also the old stevens and other single shots that work with any ammo are accurate and fun little rifles, unfortunatly they are commanding collectors prices now in good shape. Handle what you can see what fits and feels right to you. On used rifles check the chamber and bores good. Outside blemishes can normally be worked out by hand but the bore chamber requires replacing the barrel to fix alot of times.

chsparkman
08-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Remington 580, 581, and 582 are also great choices if one presents itself

indianadeerhunter2018
08-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Some states allow only rimfire for small game, so you need to check your regulations. Like stated earlier the older Remingto 510 and it's variants, along with the Winchester 67 and it's variants were the staple of 22 rifles and will last forever it not abused. Thaey can be tack drivers and teach marksmanship when they are single shots. You have to make those shots count!

Check out the pawn shops and for sale forums.

No equipment regulations for squirrels in Indiana. I could hunt em with anything

rking22
08-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Kinda comes down to what your interested in. You could pick up a lee loader in 44mag and a round ball mould. Start loading for he 44 special and use it. By the way the factory loads will work fine but are anything but cheap. Lots of good suggestions here for a 22 if thats your inerest. Search this forum for small game rifle, replace 22 LR , and the like. You may find other suggestions that seem apealing. Lots of times, for me at leaste, the reasearch and thinking about it is half the fun of a new "project". Enjoy your journey, and welcome to the forum!

BNE
08-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Would 38 and 223 leave anything left to the squirrel? I don't know but I would think that's a bit overkill. And would the 38 be accurate enough for squirrels? And I'm sitting on 1,000 rounds of LR and 700 shorts, not worried about ammo

1,700 rounds is a good start, but they will go faster than you think! The shorts are just great for squirrel. I had a lot of fun with them when your age. Gun picking is a very personal thing to me. I have only sold one gun. (It was one that I bought to help a guy out.) Do you have someone who can take you out and try some? I would offer, but I am in SC. A bit of a long drive. Go for function and accuracy. Missing is no fun. Good luck with the hunt.

indianadeerhunter2018
08-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Kinda comes down to what your interested in. You could pick up a lee loader in 44mag and a round ball mould. Start loading for he 44 special and use it. By the way the factory loads will work fine but are anything but cheap. Lots of good suggestions here for a 22 if thats your inerest. Search this forum for small game rifle, replace 22 LR , and the like. You may find other suggestions that seem apealing. Lots of times, for me at leaste, the reasearch and thinking about it is half the fun of a new "project". Enjoy your journey, and welcome to the forum!

I own reloading supplies and a 44 mag handi I just mentioned the special because the 44 mag is overkill

foesgth
08-15-2014, 10:38 PM
If you are looking new my Savage MKII out shoots my Ruger American Rimfire. As far a older rifles don't overlook older pumps. They will give you a quick second shot and will take shorts. I have a Remington 572 that shoots better than I do. I have had several older Mossberg bolt actions over the years (some were store brands, Sears etc) that shot well.

rking22
08-15-2014, 10:38 PM
There's your squirreel rifle, just load lightish loads and be sure you have a solid backstop behind the squirrel. Seriously, not in the tree top, those .429 slugs can go a long way! Better would be some research on "round ball loads" ,there is an active thread now. A man with one gun....,As I said ,thou, everybody needs a 22!

on 44 overkill
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?227106-cast-revolver-squirell-hunting
round balls
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?182734-Round-ball-gallery-loads-anyone-try-them

GT27
08-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Ruger 10/22,or the Marlin 60 both semi-auto! Start looking for 22 ammo 2 years ago...:violin:

Mk42gunner
08-16-2014, 01:07 AM
The hard part for a semi auto will be the wanting to use .22 Shorts in it. Not many were designed to use short, long, and long rifle ammo.

I have always preferred the tube magazine bolt actions over the removable box magazine versions, it is hard to loose the magazine when it is firmly attached to the rifle.

When it comes to used .22's and brand preference; Winchester, Remington, Marlin and Mossberg in no particular order. Then Savage and the rest.

Robert

flounderman
08-16-2014, 09:10 AM
check the pawn shops. Never pay asking price. If they won't come down, walk out the door and check some more pawn shops. The older Remingtons and Winchesters will be worth what you paid for them, or more if you decide to sell them. I always preferred a semi-auto in a .22 for hunting. Rifle or pistol. I used a 550-1 Remington a bunch, years ago. I wouldn't buy a rifle because it will shoot a carton of shorts I happen to have. The shorts will be gone and you will still have the rifle. The older Mossbergs were not a bad rifle. Some of the older .22s don't have the grooved receiver for the tip off scope mount. You probably should check for that feature, in case you want to mount a scope at some time. Bottom line, check several pawn shops to see what is available and see what they are asking. Go back and haggle. They will take less than the tag price. I would think 75.00 would buy you a rifle. Don't wait until the day before the season opens because they have a better chance at selling the gun then, and will be harder to deal with.

richhodg66
08-16-2014, 09:45 AM
The grooved receiver advice is good. I think all .22s made since the early '60s or so have the 3/8" grooves for tip off mounts, makes scope mounting very easy.

Just before all the craziness with .22 ammo started, I bought two nice rifles, one a Marlin 39A and a Winchester 72A. Both are very nice rifles, but neither cost me less than $200. The Marlin was about twice that, but I had wanted a nice one since I was about your age. There are some very good bargains out there, though. Keep looking around and be patient.

NavyVet1959
08-16-2014, 09:50 AM

If you are handloading, you can get both of them down to level that has less energy than a .22LR.

You mention that you already have a Handi rifle in .44. As such, you can send it off to H&R and they will fit it with a new barrel. Going with .223 might be an option since you can load it down to .22 velocity. Going with .357 Maximum would also be an option since you can still use .38 special and .357 magnum in addition to .357 maximum. Shooting round ball in the .38/.357 is an economical use of lead. Shooting it in .223 is also possible. You would need a mold for #4 Buck which would give you 20.4 gr and 0.240" diameter. Even a regular 55g .223 mold is not that bad on use of lead.

According to my reloading notes, 2.0 gr of Alliant Red Dot / Promo gives 1000 fps with a 55gr cast lead bullet for a cost of $1.83 per 50-rounds. The cheapest load that I have listed for .38 was 2.0 gr of Alliant Red Dot / Promo and a 70 gr round ball for $2.04 per 50-rounds.

Check out Armslist (http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?location=indiana&category=all&search=.22) for .22 rifles if that ends up being what you truly want.

NavyVet1959
08-16-2014, 09:57 AM
1,700 rounds is a good start, but they will go faster than you think! The shorts are just great for squirrel. I had a lot of fun with them when your age. Gun picking is a very personal thing to me. I have only sold one gun. (It was one that I bought to help a guy out.) Do you have someone who can take you out and try some? I would offer, but I am in SC. A bit of a long drive. Go for function and accuracy. Missing is no fun. Good luck with the hunt.

1700 rounds in a single shot will last awhile, but in a semi-auto, not so long. Back when .22LR 500-round bricks were going for $7-8, it was not uncommon for me to shoot an entire brick during a day at the range.

richhodg66
08-16-2014, 10:00 AM
If you are handloading, you can get both of them down to level that has less energy than a .22LR.

You mention that you already have a Handi rifle in .44. As such, you can send it off to H&R and they will fit it with a new barrel. Going with .223 might be an option since you can load it down to .22 velocity. Going with .357 Maximum would also be an option since you can still use .38 special and .357 magnum in addition to .357 maximum. Shooting round ball in the .38/.357 is an economical use of lead. Shooting it in .223 is also possible. You would need a mold for #4 Buck which would give you 20.4 gr and 0.240" diameter. Even a regular 55g .223 mold is not that bad on use of lead.

According to my reloading notes, 2.0 gr of Alliant Red Dot / Promo gives 1000 fps with a 55gr cast lead bullet for a cost of $1.83 per 50-rounds. The cheapest load that I have listed for .38 was 2.0 gr of Alliant Red Dot / Promo and a 70 gr round ball for $2.04 per 50-rounds.

Check out Armslist (http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?location=indiana&category=all&search=.22) for .22 rifles if that ends up being what you truly want.

Do they still make Handi barrels in .22 LR?

NavyVet1959
08-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Do they still make Handi barrels in .22 LR?

I was meant a .223 barrel for it, but looking on the H&R web page, I see this:

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Rimfire Barrels

Rimfire caliber can be fitted to the SS1 rimfire frames newer than 1987 only. No other frames will accept rimfire calibers due to the location of the firing pin. All barrels are blue finish.

So, you have to start out with a rimfire frame to add a new rimfire barrel.

On the other hand, for about $104, you can get a .357 barrel for a SB-1 frame.

GhostHawk
08-16-2014, 10:54 AM
I've owned a Ruger 10/22 since the early 70's. I used to go through at least 1 brick every paycheck.
My dad was concerned about me buying an autoloader vs a good bolt. In my opinion it comes down to the user. Do you have the strength of will not to go pop,pop,pop as fast as you can? (in time burning out your barrel, ruining your accuracy)
Or are you mature enough to maintain some control. To only use that quick follow up shot when you need it?

My ruger 10/22 shoots as good or better than it ever did.

It also has the advantage of being the most customizable .22 rifle out there.

There is a whole world of aftermarket parts to explore, keeping your rifle fun for decades to come.

Just my opinion, yours may vary.

rob55
08-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Love this thread. Everyone does need a 22, two of them, a bolt action rifle and a pistol. A pox on 22 ammo hoarders. I shot them like bbs when I was a kid. As for 38s and squirrels. If you can't hit a squirrel in the head with a S&W model 10 from a rest (that is braced on the side of a tree for those of you who do not shoot in the woods) you need to practice. Head shots leave meat if they are done with the .44.

The problem is where does one get a 38 rifle anymore. the cow boy shooters have run the price through the roof. Find one or an old win 92 in 32 and then go to the round ball thread. You can shoot squirrels all day long with not much more than a primer.

Now I want to go squirrel hunting with my 50 year old rifle and my 40 wear old ammo.

One other concern. Most modern game wardens have no concept of round ball reloads and squirrel rifles bigger than 22s. They have no sense of humor either. So if you are not in your own very isolated back yard . . .

rking22
08-16-2014, 06:14 PM
True ,hard to go wrong with a 1022. I think they(autos) are one of the best hunting rifles due to not having to move to reload. I have "tuned" mine into a super sport type rifle and consider it a single shot with 10 rounds stored onboard :) No need to spend a fortune on aftermarket stuff(less you wanna) to make them shoot. Most shoot quite well outa the box, the others can be made to shot with a little work. A nice used 1022 from the time with walnut stocks can be found under 200$, I've done it 3 times in the last several years! Any and all parts are widely available and inexpensive. They are very well documented to work on.

crappie-hunter
08-16-2014, 06:27 PM
My marlin 795 is scary accurate and can be had new for less than $200.

Here in Pa. its illegal to use for hunting, but if it was legal It would be my first choice for squirrel.

JSnover
08-16-2014, 06:28 PM
...Preferably under 200 bucks and accurate enough for squirrels, coons, rabbits, etc. ... not a Crickett or a savage rascal(I'm 6'1 190 pounds). Not looking for anything fancy just an accurate cheap 22. Bolt or semi auto. Also, I purchased a brick of 22 shorts and would like to be able to shoot these through the rifle along with LR rounds.
Hit the used gun racks or the auction sites, you will have no trouble finding a cheap, solid bolt-action .22, many of which will chamber short, long, LR. If the bore is good and the action is sound, go for it. I started shooting rim fire in 1974 and have never seen one that was not accurate enough for small game at reasonable distances.

atr
08-16-2014, 07:08 PM
I just picked up a really nice Mossberg model 40B .22 rifle for $200.
It shoots shorts, longs and long rifle and its a tubular feed bolt action and VERY accurate. Using the peep sight and my bad eyes I put 8 rounds you could cover with a dime at 50 yds. Mossberg made several models based on this action, if you can find one buy it ! Mossberg made these rifles from the late 30's to the early 40's
atr

indianadeerhunter2018
08-16-2014, 08:45 PM
I just picked up a really nice Mossberg model 40B .22 rifle for $200.
It shoots shorts, longs and long rifle and its a tubular feed bolt action and VERY accurate. Using the peep sight and my bad eyes I put 8 rounds you could cover with a dime at 50 yds. Mossberg made several models based on this action, if you can find one buy it ! Mossberg made these rifles from the late 30's to the early 40's
atr

My dad has one of the 42b's they were only made for three years and I shot a sub moa group today at 50 yards using short/long rifle mixed. If I can find out where to get mags for a reasonable price(I'm not spending 30+ dollars for one magazine) I'll try an buy it off of him.

NavyVet1959
08-16-2014, 09:05 PM
The problem is where does one get a 38 rifle anymore. the cow boy shooters have run the price through the roof. Find one or an old win 92 in 32 and then go to the round ball thread. You can shoot squirrels all day long with not much more than a primer.

I've seen some .38-55s on Armslist lately. Not exactly the ".38" that you were talking about though. :)

Seriously though... There's not too many choices in .38 special / .357 magnum rifles. Marlin still makes one, but they are well outside of the OP's stated budget. The cheapest solution for him would be to get a smaller caliber barrel for his existing single-shot NEF / H&R rifle. The .44 barrel that he already has would probably need a 0.440" round ball and that is going to weigh about 131.4 gr.

http://www.buckshotmold.com

For squirrels, I would say to go for something a bit smaller in a round ball (RB) and keep the velocity down. Maybe a .223 (.240 RB = 20.1 gr), .308 (.310 RB = 44.2 gr, .320 RB = 47.6 gr, .360 RB = 69.2 gr, or .380 RB = 83 gr). Even from a revolver, a subsonic .38 is pretty quiet -- I would say quieter than a .22LR.

rob55
08-16-2014, 11:08 PM
The handi rifle looks like a nice choice. For me squirrel hunting is a one shot, one kill proposition. I personally love my 357/38 Winchester. But I've had it a long time. I've never tried to cycle or fire ball in it. Loading ball in the 357 handi rifle and 357 gas checked BOOLITS. This young man could take everything from chipmunks to whitetail inside 50 yards. Is there a 32 cal handi rifle barrel? That could be a sweet small game rifle.

rob55
08-16-2014, 11:24 PM
NavyVet. I've never loaded ball, but I think I'm going to try it in the near future. Years ago I loaded 140 grain light loads for the kids and we ran them through the model 10. Ther certainly we're not any louder than a 22 and there was no noticeable recoil. The kids loved them. We were using 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe stuck in the ground at about 7 yards and the kids were consistently mowing the pipe down. As easy as that load was I can't imagine how sweet an 83 gr round would be.

NavyVet1959
08-17-2014, 12:27 AM
The handi rifle looks like a nice choice. For me squirrel hunting is a one shot, one kill proposition. I personally love my 357/38 Winchester. But I've had it a long time. I've never tried to cycle or fire ball in it. Loading ball in the 357 handi rifle and 357 gas checked BOOLITS. This young man could take everything from chipmunks to whitetail inside 50 yards. Is there a 32 cal handi rifle barrel? That could be a sweet small game rifle.

I didn't see anything in the .32 caliber range on the H&R barrel replacement web page. The closest that I saw would be the .308 which would really give a LARGE range of possible loadings. They even have one in .30-06 and you could increase the range on the upper end a bit with that while still allowing you to shoot low velocity round balls at squirrels if you so desired. Personally, I would choose the .308 since the brass is easier to find instead of the .30-06. Besides, I already reload for .308, so I wouldn't have to buy any new dies or anything.

rob55
08-17-2014, 12:41 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=435766403. Bet this would be a sweet center fire squirrel rifle. Hate the safety. If I had the time to fool around with it I'd be tempted. 32 20 has a tack driver reputation.

BAGTIC
08-17-2014, 01:33 PM
A .360 RB in any of the '.38/.357' caliber revolver cartridges is a great small game load.

drinks
08-17-2014, 02:50 PM
.22 shorts can damage a rifle's chamber, extended use WILL erode the chamber at the length of the short case and eventually cause hard extraction.
I have seen this in some .22s, my first rifle, a 67 was given to me because of that problem.
I had to carry a shortened ice pick to remove a long or long rifle case if I shot one.
I would try to trade the shorts for long rifles or just sell the shorts, at the current market, you might do well that way.
I have an NEF .223 that I feed the Lee .22 bator cast bullet with a bit of Herco, gets 1200-1300 fps and the cost is less than the current cost of .22 RF ammo.

starmac
08-18-2014, 11:16 PM
I have never heard that about shorts, and have fired a truck load of them in several 22's, still do when I can find them.

osteodoc08
08-19-2014, 11:03 AM
For the budget minded.

Autoloaders:
Marlin Model 60
Ruger 10/22
Remington 597

Bolt Actions:
Ruger American
Savage Mkii
Marlin 981/980/925

Lever actions:
Henry

For the 22 naysayers: A box of ammo can last a long time if only squirrel hunting. Its getting easier to find. Get ready for squirrel season.

wallenba
08-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Find a good used Marlin 60. Make sure the magazine tube isn't dented. Mount a cheapo Tasco.

Lefty Red
08-22-2014, 02:20 PM
I would get a 22lr lever or pump or magazine fed bolt. You can feed them with what ever 22 rimfire you can find and they will eat them up!

Lefty Red
08-22-2014, 02:22 PM
.22 shorts can damage a rifle's chamber, extended use WILL erode the chamber at the length of the short case and eventually cause hard extraction.
I have seen this in some .22s, my first rifle, a 67 was given to me because of that problem.
I had to carry a shortened ice pick to remove a long or long rifle case if I shot one.
I would try to trade the shorts for long rifles or just sell the shorts, at the current market, you might do well that way.
I have an NEF .223 that I feed the Lee .22 bator cast bullet with a bit of Herco, gets 1200-1300 fps and the cost is less than the current cost of .22 RF ammo.

I don't know about that. I shot way too many shorts and longs through my 22lr Marlin 60 (old rifle) and never a hiccup. I think the shorts were the most accurate.
Jerry

Smoke4320
08-22-2014, 02:46 PM
For new A Marlin 60 or Savage MKII-F either should be had for less than $200.00 and both will shoot very well.... and will shoot your shorts or LR

indianadeerhunter2018
08-22-2014, 03:37 PM
For new A Marlin 60 or Savage MKII-F either should be had for less than $200.00 and both will shoot very well.... and will shoot your shorts or LR

I've looked at the savage mk2 my friend has had one less than a year and the ejector broke on it so I'm a little Leary of getting one

starmac
08-23-2014, 01:57 AM
There is an H&R topper in the classifieds here right now, chambered in 30/30 and a 20 gauge barrel too for a measly 125 bucks. It would be hard to beat if a guy was looking for a 30 cal.

Lefty Red
08-23-2014, 11:04 AM
I've looked at the savage mk2 my friend has had one less than a year and the ejector broke on it so I'm a little Leary of getting one

I had one that did the same thing. Savage made it right! No need to judge the model on one incident.
Jerry

osteodoc08
08-23-2014, 02:25 PM
I had one that did the same thing. Savage made it right! No need to judge the model on one incident.
Jerry

Technically I guess it's two now.:veryconfu

fouronesix
08-23-2014, 11:33 PM
For your purposes- utility, economy, quality, accuracy- I'd seriously watch for something like a used Marlin M781. That was their standard bolt action 22 with tube magazine. I bought a used one in excellent condition for a friend about 4 years ago for $100.

I have never seen one that didn't shoot extremely well if the bore had been cared for. While in college, I won several offhand matches with a borrowed Marlin 781. I cleaned and sighted in the one I bought about 4 years ago. With standard CCI Blazers, it proved extremely accurate. Also, that series of Marlin 22s were designed to cycle and shoot S, L or LR ammo.

Bottom line is don't overlook the used market for 22s in your price range- no matter the manufacturer or model. Just pay attention to the details of condition and function when inspecting them.

Lefty Red
08-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Technically I guess it's two now.:veryconfu

Ouch! LOL
I think the problem with mine was the extractor didn't have a smooth face. LGS took it apart and buffed it out. No trouble afterwards. Savage sent a new one just in case. I just chalked it up to a rifle built at 4:59pm on a Friday. :)
Jerry

mrvmax
08-24-2014, 08:29 AM
I have liked every Savage I have shot or owned (recent models) and I think the Savage 22 would be a great choice. The prices are reasonable and Savage is offering a rebate right now (only $25 but better than nothing).

M-Tecs
08-27-2014, 11:29 AM

I don't agree on the erosion but I do agree it can cause problems. I have borescoped some 22 rifles used by various teams that had well over 100K through them. This was will LR ammo but no erosion in the throat. I did see erosion part way down the bore. It was always heavier on the bottom. I believe this to be from unburnt powder basically "blasting" it.

What I have seen for shorts in LR chambers is a buildup of carbon and wax (that if not removed) causing hard extraction with LR. On some of the old guns the carbon ring rusted underneath so (when removed) you had a rusted out area that also created extraction issue. In guns that had regular chamber cleanings I have never seen any form of damage from shorts in and LR chamber.

SavageMan2506
09-01-2014, 08:40 PM
You can't beat a good old bolt from a pawn shop or used at a gun shop