PDA

View Full Version : Allen & Thurper Pepperbox

shooterbob
08-15-2014, 01:58 PM
I bought this at an auction and haven't received it yet , but, they had it listed as a prop gun. From what I can see this is a firing gun. Can anyone see anything that would make you think non firing? I always thought prop guns were plugged on the barrels and such113628113629113630

Olut
08-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Prop guns were anything from aluminum or hard rubber replicas to fully functional weapons...I don't know what the barrel end photo is, but it is definitely NOT of an Allen pepperbox. I am no expert on these guns as they are a hodgepodge of sizes, shapes & design models, but I do have an Allen pepperbox that I occasionally fire for visitors. The grips are obviously wrong, the rear of the trigger guard is not mounted correctly and the mainspring is nothing like the one in my older "Norwich" version of the 1845 patent type ...... it looks like it may be the first "1837 type" which is inconsistent with the late Worcester barrels. Anyway, shooting one of these is a unique experience due to the massively heavy trigger pull, so that the lack of sights is inconsequential on these type pistols. They are better at scaring an opponent than injuring him.At 15 feet, I was barely able to hit a 12 inch square target

shooterbob
08-15-2014, 11:37 PM
Its showing the chambers open to the background below on the last photo.

texassako
08-15-2014, 11:48 PM
What is up with the Thurper stamp. I always thought it was Allen and Thurber

shooterbob
08-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Me too, that's why I suspect it's a replica gun. I have seen both on the internet but it's so confusing to get a true feeling for it. It has a 1837 patent date but of course anything can be faked.