PDA

View Full Version : Pieta Bison!

Freightman
08-14-2014, 03:00 PM
I have one not in pristine shape coming, from a member he said it had a clean bore and the cylinder is clean in the chambers. The nipples are frozen in the cylinder but surly they will come loose (hope) been a long time since I have had a BP revolver this will be a project for this winter. Will post some pictures when I get it.

Tatume
08-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Liquid Wrench is your friend. Have fun with it. Take care, Tom

P.s., automatic transmission fluid is good too.

Freightman
08-14-2014, 05:35 PM
goop is good also

Fly
08-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Hey listen too me.Get some Kroil & soak them for three to four days.Use a GOOD nipple wrench
to take them lose.DO not get in a hurry.I have guys sending them to me to remove all the
time.Try What I,m telling you PLEASE!If you can't find Kroil oil at a hardware,they sell it
off there web site.

Fly

Freightman
08-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Got some also use it all the time, looking forward to putting it back in shape. Never had a pistol with a 12" barrel so it will be a new experience.
Where do I get a good nipple wrench?

Tatume
08-14-2014, 07:33 PM
where do i get a good nipple wrench?

N A P A. Ask for ignition wrenches. They are very thin open end wrenches.

R.M.
08-14-2014, 07:43 PM
......Where do I get a good nipple wrench?
Track of the Wolf, Dixie Gun Works, etc.

Beagle333
08-14-2014, 07:43 PM
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=15292
(http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=15292)
This baby here will back them out after you soak them good with whatever you decide to use.
It is 10X stronger than one of those soft T-wrenches that people normally use.

You can search around and sometimes find it cheaper, but that isn't a bad price. Be sure to specify "revolver" when you order, because they do sell a "rifle" one too.
Other option that some guys do, is to cut a socket down to fit the nipple and you can really hoss on it then. (I'm one of those guys who doesn't have a way to cut down a socket, so the heavy duty wrench was a great find!)

Good luck!

mosby's men
08-14-2014, 09:11 PM
kroil first then pb blaster

HiVelocity
08-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Fly is right; Kroil is great stuff. Friend had another friend's Lt-12 Browning that had rusted shut (don't get me started on that story); he called me and I told him the
same thing...........Kroil! He soaked the receiver for a full week. Very slowly it was manageable, irrepairable, but could be taken apart. Anyway, Kroil is key. Good Luck.

HV

Nobade
08-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Another tip - a couple of dowel pins or something that fits the chambers closely let you hold the cylinder in a vise to crank on the nipples without damaging the cylinder.

My daughter bought one of those revolvers, it shoots quite well but every time I take it out I keep having visions of making a shorty out of it. They really don't balance too well, but are accurate and shoot nicely off a rest.

-Nobade

Hellgate
08-14-2014, 11:39 PM
I've also read (on the internet so it must be true) that a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone is actually better than Kroil to help remove stuck bolts and nipples.

here's a link: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/auto-home-improvement-diy/how-to-free-a-rusted-bolt-7

docone31
08-15-2014, 07:43 AM
I was shown, then tried, tightening a bolt, then removing it if it was stuck. Not much tightening, just a tad. It breaks loose any crud on the threads. Gotta have the correct wrench for the nipples though. It makes a mess otherwise. Wrench gotta fit.

Janoosh
08-15-2014, 08:55 AM
+1Docone31, that works. I spray the part, tighten a little, then respray (or soak) to reach any exposed threads.

Wayne Smith
08-15-2014, 12:00 PM
I have one not in pristine shape coming, from a member he said it had a clean bore and the cylinder is clean in the chambers. The nipples are frozen in the cylinder but surly they will come loose (hope) been a long time since I have had a BP revolver this will be a project for this winter. Will post some pictures when I get it.

And that surely is the most appropriate typo I've seen in a long time!

Omnivore
08-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Nothing worse than surly nipples, eh?