PDA

View Full Version : I think I messed up

starmac
08-13-2014, 10:54 PM
All of my molds up to now have been Lee or Lyman, and for the most part I have been happy with them. I recieved my first Noe today, just from looking at it, I'm thinking it will be costing me in the long run.

mold maker
08-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Wait till ya open a box containing an MP brass HP mold. Ya better sell something quick. Ya gonna have to have more.

Bzcraig
08-13-2014, 11:35 PM
All of my molds up to now have been Lee or Lyman, and for the most part I have been happy with them. I recieved my first Noe today, just from looking at it, I'm thinking it will be costing me in the long run.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and spent a night or ten in the dog house. But congratulations on adding to your addiction!

1911KY
08-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, what makes the higher priced molds that much better? Cleaner cavity machining, more even heat distribution, cleaner cutting spruce plate, easier bullet drops? I am just getting started so I haven't experienced the issues with the cheaper molds yet. I have 2 of the new Lee 2 cavity molds, they seem to be improved quite a bit over their previous models.

RobS
08-14-2014, 12:01 AM
The big advantage I think with the custom or semi-custom mold makers is you get something that may not be made anywhere else. I like to design my own molds in that I like a certain boolit type for revolvers and then for my semi-autos etc. I've even made a design that I can use for both my 45 auto and light 45 Revolver work. The other nice thing is you can have a custom mold maker make the mold to cast at any diameter you want with whatever alloy you are wanting to use. The quality is there with some of the mass produced molds like RCBS but these custom and semi-custom guys are really good at what they do, their molds are works of art. They also take pride in their work, otherwise they wouldn't be around long, quality control is tops and so is their customer service. Oh and there isn't any mass produced molds that will drop multi cavity hollow pointed boolits.

mold maker
08-14-2014, 08:12 AM
The cheaper molds are much more pron to damage from everyday use. The better mold materials are used to produce more precise dimensions and custom shapes. It's a little like driving a bicycle or a Caddy. Both get you to Church, Walmart, or to the other side of the country, but comfort and style are miles apart.

Wayne Smith
08-14-2014, 08:58 AM
Yup, you did, Mac. Now you are spoiled for good!

1911KY
08-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I pretty much knew what everyone would say just wanted to verify my thoughts. Kind of like comparing a Rock Island to a Wilson. They both will punch paper but there really is no comparison.

I would like to have a 4 cavity 200 gr SWC with no lube rings for Hi-Tek coating. Maybe once I get up and going I will have to do a custom mold.

shredder
08-14-2014, 10:02 AM
After I got my first noe mould I felt the same way. All my moulds drop shootable boolits but it is clear which is the superior tool for producing them! Best part is that they do not cost an arm and a leg.

AggieEE
08-14-2014, 10:49 AM
+1 on what shredder said. NOE and MP are not that much higher than RCBS, Lyman and the quility difference vastly outweights the price difference. The first time I casted with one of Mehca's molds the bullets were so smooth that they felt oiled. I never had that from one of the big name makers.

jmort
08-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Accurate and H2M are at the top as well. I have all brands discussed in this thread, and will continue to get more including Lee Precision.

wallenba
08-14-2014, 11:19 AM

My exact thoughts recently too. I bought my first Accurate mold this year, then an NOE. I have since found that there is NO comparison. The quality of these molds are light years ahead of Lyman, Lee and RCBS. I have since replace nearly all of the old molds with them.

osteodoc08
08-14-2014, 02:09 PM

What they cost in $$$ upfront, they will save you in heartache and disappointment.

To answer what makes them better: Materials, fit and finish. Not all aluminum is the same. Not all pin designs/materials are the same. Rejection/Lemon rate is considerably lower.

NOE/MP/Accurate are to molds what Snap-on is to hand tools. But again, YMMV.

tazman
08-14-2014, 08:38 PM
The best part about NOE is even thought it works superbly, it really doesn't cost much more than a Lyman in 4 cavity, unless you get the hollow point mold which Lyman doesn't make in 4 cavity anyway.

canyon-ghost
08-15-2014, 08:36 PM
NOE makes great molds.