PDA

View Full Version : Jakes Purple & Scalet vs Lar's Red Carnauba

BigSlick
01-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi guys,

Looking to load up on lube for a while. I've been using Lar's Carnauba Red and it has done a great job with regard to lube properties/accuracy.

Only problem I have with it, it's too sticky, as in a LOT too sticky. Bullets end up clumping together when stored, or even put in the bullet tray for loading.

I've been catching the bullets one at a time as they come outta the Star and putting them on their base to set for a while, which helps a little, but the whole idea of having to deal with each bullet in such a fashion, kinda negates a whole lotta the speed advantage of having the Star.

I've been reading the hype online about Jakes Scarlet and Purple lubes. Sounds good, but then again we would expect that.

What I'm looking for is a lube I can run in the Star and have the bullets into a box (or ???) so I can keep rolling along until I'm done with a batch, without creating a sticky mess, having the lube pull outta the grooves or turn into a popcorn ball consistency with bullets clumped up in a ball.

I've run the heat on it from as little as will get it to flow after an hour warmup, to higher to the point where it is way too loose. With air pressure from 10lbs to 90lbs.

Getting lube in the grooves aint the problem, getting lube *only* in the grooves *is* the problem.

After searching here, I find, many others have had good success with it as I have. Many have decided to just live with the sticky and deal with it, chalking it up to something to live with if you're gonna use Lar's Red Carnauba.

That's what I've been doing, but this year, I'm traveling a lot for work. I don't get a whole lotta time to spend at the bench like I would like to. As a result, when I do get a chance to cast, I do my best to make it count and cast enough to last me several range trips. I have been lubing a day or two before I load, which makes the sticky issue much more apparent.

I would really like to end up with a lube that allows me to lube a bunch at once, and store them, ready for use, next time I'm home.

I appreciate the helpful suggestions of how to stack bullets in a box with a liner between them etc.. but I'm not sure I can acquire that many boxes, or have room to store em. I generally run 800-1100 rnds per range trip over a couple of calibers

Ideally, I would be able to cast 3-4000 bullets, lube a couple thousand and store em in an old ammo can.

The hype put out in the advertising stuff about Jakes makes it seem like the best thing since sliced bread. I don't put much faith in advertising hype, but, I'm looking for options.

Have any of you used Jake's Scarlett Red and/or Purple lubes ? Anyone tried both Jake's and Lar's ? Is there another option ?

I won't say price isn't a consideration in part, but I would rather pay more for something that meets my needs than increase the amount of hassle and save money.

I noticed in a thread posted a while back, Glenn made note of working on a hard lube. I would really like to see that happen because I *really* like his lube. I realize this may take a while to develop, but at present, I'm out of lube and gotta do something else until that is available.

I've used Blue Angel, and Magma Blue and LBT Blue Commercial. All three are way less sticky than Lar's. They are pretty good lubes in their own right, but Lar's is easier to clean up, seems to deliver better accuracy, and I like the zero leading I get just fine ;)

Any suggestions ?

Thanks ;)
________
GIFT CARDS (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/)

Bass Ackward
01-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Mica.

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I put a drop box under my star. With soft lubes and especialy in the winter when i need to use heat with even the soft lubes i just keep sizing and leave the bullets in the box overnight before i handle them. It gives them a chance to set up and ive had no problems like that even using lubes as soft as javalina. Trick is not to handle them and just use the minimum heat nessisary to make the lube move throuh the sizer. If you get the lube to hot youve got a mess.

crabo
01-27-2008, 09:27 AM
I use LAR's BAC. I usually put a clamp on light bulb next to the star and store all my lubed bullets in clear plastic tubs, stacked every which way. Works for me. The lube has shown no signs of leading with loads of 15 grains of 2400 in 357 loads.

Crabo

44man
01-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I LIKE STICKY as in lanolin. Every tool I use has lube smeared on it. I can't even see through the Lee containers for the size dies. :mrgreen: I put up with it because it shoots best for me. I use mostly soft Felix but like Lar's lubes too.
Appearance and handling is secondary to good accuracy.
Bass says to dust with Motor Mica, it will work great.

Orygun
01-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I have lubed thousands of .45 with Jake's purple lube and I like it! I too was tired of the stickiness of alox lubes and this took care of the problem. And they shoot great.

You do need to warm it up, (90° - 100°) and it sounds like you are set up just fine to do so. When you get everything adjusted just right, including the temp, you can crank them out very fast.