PDA

View Full Version : The most ridiculous throat I've ever seen!!!!

DeanWinchester
08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
So a friend came by to see me today, a member here BTW. He just had a new barrel fitted to an H&R handi rifle. 30/30. It's a micro groove barrel too. I never knew H&R used a micro groove barrel in the handi rifles.

Well, he wanted a second opinion to make sure he wasn't misreading things. He made a pound cast to get the real story of what's going on. and WOW! Over the rifling measured normal around .309 but the THROAT!!!! It measured about .330!!!! Now how the heck does a guy make that shoot right? How the heck did it ever get cut so big??

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/photo_zps76fbe3b8.jpg

It's my opinion that H&R needs to get this one back and a new barrel installed. As far as my opinion, this barrel only has one thing going for it. It's the perfect candidate for a JES rebore to either 38-55 or 35/30.

35remington
08-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Not so much as a throat, maybe, as a chamber neck cut way too long. The dimension is much closer to SAAMI case neck diameter at the mouth than it is to throat diameter. I realize it is effectively functioning as a throat......but that's the only way I can explain it being so large.

JeffinNZ
08-13-2014, 06:22 PM
.330 is the OD of the case neck. Someone got this horribly wrong.

DeanWinchester
08-13-2014, 07:12 PM
.330 is the OD of the case neck. Someone got this horribly wrong.

Ya think??:bigsmyl2:

RED333
08-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Is it cut to a diff round, how long is it, maybe 3006?

JSnover
08-13-2014, 08:52 PM
I wonder if they use two different reamers. It makes no sense but if it was the right one and they ran it that deep the shoulder would be waaaaaaay too far forward… Did he fire it?

DeanWinchester
08-13-2014, 08:54 PM
He should be along shortly to fill us in some more, BUT, it's supposed to be a new barrel. He just got it back from H&R.

jaysouth
08-13-2014, 10:58 PM
He should be along shortly to fill us in some more, BUT, it's supposed to be a new barrel. He just got it back from H&R.

At five yards, it shoots two inch groups. I cannot get it to hit the target or background at 50 yards. My first assumption was that I did something wrong when doing a pound cast from the breech. I will fire up the furnace tomorrow and do a Goodsteel approved pound case from the muzzle.

Dean, thanks for the advice and posting the pictures.

DeanWinchester
08-13-2014, 11:13 PM
We'll figure out something!
I meant what I told you too, 35/30 would be a great option. I'll guarantee you someone here has a 35/30 and can tell you how they come by load data.

GoodOlBoy
08-14-2014, 03:30 AM
yeah otherwise that barrel needs to go back to H&R along with a **** chewing of biblical proportions!

GoodOlBoy

JeffinNZ
08-14-2014, 05:47 AM
Is it one of them squeeze bore guns the German's had during WWII.......

Piedmont
08-14-2014, 09:15 AM
What does the outside of the brass measure out near the end and what does the pound slug measure half way to where the rifling starts? You could easily be measuring the chamber neck on your pound slug. If that chamber neck is way too long you could get some of the long .38-55 cases from Starline and neck them down and trim for an exact fit if you wanted to go to that much trouble.

Artful
08-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Needs to go back - that's just wrong - that's only going to work with a heeled boolit and not even well at that.

mrbill2
08-14-2014, 08:20 PM
"My first assumption was that I did something wrong when doing a pound cast from the breech."

That can get a little tricky, not?

Shiloh
08-14-2014, 11:12 PM
yeah otherwise that barrel needs to go back to H&R along with a **** chewing of biblical proportions!

GoodOlBoy

In a nutshell, YES!!

Shiloh

303Guy
08-15-2014, 02:12 AM
"My first assumption was that I did something wrong when doing a pound cast from the breech."

That can get a little tricky, not?I think he should be redoing that pound cast. You can measure the length of the chamber using a rod that will enter the neck snugly and marking it at the breach face then measuring. I'm kinda thinking it will be normal. For someone to screw up the neck area length of the chamber would take a lot of deliberate effort or a serious lapse of concentration on someone's part. There would be more such barrels out there if that were the case.

Jaak
08-15-2014, 03:08 AM
How does one make a pound cast from the breech?

jaysouth
08-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Fill a cast with molten lead to the neck. Let cool, insert a 200 gr. lee RN cast in pure lead.

Insert into chamber, tap with a plastic faced hammer until it is seated. Remove by inserting a steel rod from the muzzle and tap out.

I forgot to mention, the primer strikes are off center. With the original barrel, they were perfectly centered, suggesting a chamber cut off center with the barrel.

oger
08-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Somewhere I have some old 30-30 basic brass that is 3.25 in long. You could make a real strange looking case and use a nose riding bullet.

JSnover
08-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Fill a cast with molten lead to the neck. Let cool, insert a 200 gr. lee RN cast in pure lead.

Insert into chamber, tap with a plastic faced hammer until it is seated. Remove by inserting a steel rod from the muzzle and tap out.

I forgot to mention, the primer strikes are off center. With the original barrel, they were perfectly centered, suggesting a chamber cut off center with the barrel.

I bought a HandiRifle with a junk barrel a few years ago. Don't bother trying to salvage it. You could but you shouldn't have to. That's you paying the price for their incompetence.
Send it back.

leadman
08-16-2014, 02:08 AM
The reamer should not let one cut the throat like that. Is it possible that the case was not seated all the way in the chamber? If it slipped out some this could explain it. Try putting the case back in the chamber and see if the rim is flush with the end of the barrel.

I had a H&R in 223 Rem that looked like the used a reground drill bit to chamber it. The extractor would not pull most cases out of the chamber.
If everything looks good on your inspections send it back to them and let them know the guys here think they messed up.

303Guy
08-16-2014, 04:42 AM
I wonder whether it's an incorrectly stamped barrel. The firing pin strike is off centre so the chamber sounds bigger than a 30-30 and the neck goes beyond the 30-30. I can't imagine what it could be that it doesn't show up on a fired case. Just a thought that crossed my mind. It would be interesting to learn what actually is going on there.

303Guy
08-16-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't own a Handi, and I do understand the appeal, but the QC too often has been poor for me to even consider such.It is a pity about the QC. The Handi does appeal. I would love one, perhaps in 30-30 for dedicated cast although the 30-40 seems to me to be just the ticket with its long neck.