PDA

View Full Version : SRH .475 Linebaugh

44man
01-27-2008, 01:56 AM
My friend Whitworth was out today with his SRH converted .475 Linebaugh. We fired 81 test loads. We had a bunch of different boolits and loads. We both shot quite a few groups around 1" at 50 yd's. He also had some Buffalo Bore rounds and they also shot super. He shot a 3" group at 100 yd's with them. Thats with an Ultra Dot.
I stood up a 2-1/2" by 2-1/2" steel plate on the rail. I painted it but could hardly see it. My first two shots with my 420 gr WFN were just over it until I found I could hold dead on. I had to use both eyes because the Dot is large. I hit it just above center and it flew 30 yd's.
Jack Huntington did the work and it is perfect. I wish we had a high power scope on it to see what it really can do.
The thing is punishing to the wrist and elbow from the bench. I still prefer my BFR's for recoil, they raise my whole arm instead of whipping my wrist.
We shot from 325 gr's to 440 gr's and the gun is not picky at all.

Bass Ackward
01-27-2008, 08:16 AM
We shot from 325 gr's to 440 gr's and the gun is not picky at all.

Yep, handguns are an alignment nightmare. The mechanical rest, of what ever variety, will prove of what accuracy the gun is capable of, if you are a machine. It can be very accurate, but no one be able to hold it. So when you a gun that other people can shoot accurately, that is the test I am most interested in.

Tell him to hang on to that one. Coarse, if he is like me, he .... won't listen.

44man
01-27-2008, 09:13 AM
He is planning on one in .50 JRH next. Redhawk with a short barrel fo a backup gun---OUCH! :veryconfu
No elbows on the bench for that one. I think I will let him do the load work, those DA's hurt when shot.
I have shot over 100 heavy .475's with the SA in a day but the DA's need a wrist brace. Another reason I don't like a Bisley, other then being too small for my hands, is that they whip my wrist too.
None are bad offhand but those sandbags change things.
But again, it is the way I hold them. :roll: I am actually shooting with one hand where Whitworth is using a full 2 hand grip. I guess I have to change.
No danger of him ever selling his guns, he loves them.
My next job is to teach him to cast his own boolits. He has no room to load where he lives so I have been doing it for him. He loves the BB stuff and they are great loads and boolits but at $100 a box I would frame them and use a few a year for hunting. :mrgreen:

HollandNut
01-27-2008, 10:06 AM
All the money the boy spent on the 475 , he better keep it ..

bearcove
01-31-2008, 07:12 PM
My idea is if I don't think my 454 will stop it then maybe I need a rifle.

44man
01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
What is the fun in that? :mrgreen: You need more then one gun! :Fire:

runfiverun
02-01-2008, 11:19 PM
those big bore hand guns are addicting
i leave the little stuff, 44 mag 45, to the 92's
man buy one 450 express and the wife goes ballistic

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2008, 07:35 AM
I dont think i could afford to shoot a 5 shot group with buffalo bore ammo!!!! Id about have to hawk my truck!! Load the poor boy some ammo!!

JimL
02-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I hear ya Lloyd, I bought 3 boxes back in 01 when i ordered the 475. Still have alot of them left. Started handloading for it just a few days after it arrived.. The cost of the BBA stuff hurt me more when the hammer dropped than the recoil.. Ive found some really good loads with HS6 about any cast bullet and weight and same with H4227 that are pleasant to shoot and penetrate 3 of what ever i plan to hunt around here..

Jim

Whitworth
02-03-2008, 01:10 AM
New guy here. I am the said owner of the .475 Linebaugh SRH. We have been developing loads for it over the last couple of months and I can assure you that we wouldn't have shot 81 factory loads through it last weekend! We just shot a few Buffalo Bore loads through it for comparison's sake and were quite pleased with the way they shoot. The handloads shoot even better.

I would also like to add that 44man is one hell-of-a shot! He whines about not being able to hold the revolver steady like he used to and that his eyes aren't what they used to be, but he never ceases to amaze me with his marksmanship!

dubber123
02-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I would also like to add that 44man is one hell-of-a shot! He whines about not being able to hold the revolver steady like he used to and that his eyes aren't what they used to be, but he never ceases to amaze me with his marksmanship![/QUOTE/Whitworth]

If'n you don't stop, his head will swell so big it won't fit into that cool hat of his![smilie=1:

Whitworth
02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I would also like to add that 44man is one hell-of-a shot! He whines about not being able to hold the revolver steady like he used to and that his eyes aren't what they used to be, but he never ceases to amaze me with his marksmanship![/QUOTE/Whitworth]

If'n you don't stop, his head will swell so big it won't fit into that cool hat of his![smilie=1:

LOL!! You know it!:mrgreen:

44man
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Whitworth knows me better then that! :veryconfu All it takes is this :drinks: to shoot good! :mrgreen:

HollandNut
02-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Whitworth ??

Jeesh they'll let anyone sign up here :Fire:

Whitworth
02-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Look who's talkin', 'Bama! How's it going, Holland? You've been scarce lately.

44man
02-07-2008, 02:44 AM
Don't let it get out but whitworth shoots damned good too, specially after a few of my home brews. :mrgreen:
Hey Marko, tell them about my beer. :drinks:

Whitworth
02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Ah yes, 44man's home brew.......:-D Very nice!! I good break from the rigors of reloading........ This man makes a wicked homemade beer! A mug of home brew and a bowl of venison chili..........doesn't get much better than that!

HollandNut
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Sheesh mArKo aint 21 yet .. ...

Where I been ?? Where you been .. I almost called this mornin' , but figgered yu was sleepin in ..

Whitworth
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Dang Holland, you're only 7 years older than me.........therefore I can't call you "old man" or it will reflect poorly on me by default......... Sleeping in? What are you kidding? I wasn't a sailor!