PDA

View Full Version : Kidd 10/22 barrel: Initial range report

RG1911
08-13-2014, 01:16 PM
I finally installed a new Kidd barrel (20-inch, .920, non-fluted) on my Ruger 10/22. The previous Butler Creek barrel wasn't even producing acceptable shotgun patterns at 25 yards, even with Eley Match.

I tested three brands of .22LR ammo: Lapua Midas +, SK Match Rifle, and Eley Match Pistol.

I first ran 30 of the Midas+ through the barrel, and when I switched ammo, I ran at least 20 of the new type before shooting for group.

Under less-than-ideal conditions at the range (gusts, mirage, etc.), the Midas + put 5 shots into 1/2-inch at 50 yards and into 1 inch at 100 yards. I strongly suspect that it could have done better for a more-skilled rimfire shooter.

The SK and Eley weren't too far behind, but there was no question that the barrel prefers the Midas +. (Now to buy more of the same lot.)

According to my Oehler 35P chronograph placed 6 feet from the muzzle:

- Lapua Midas + had a mean velocity of 1029 fps and a standard deviation of 10 fps.

- Eley Match Pistol had a mean velocity of 960 fps and a standard deviation of 27 fps.

- SK Rifle Match had a mean velocity of 996 fps and a standard deviation of 15 fps.

Needless to say, I was a bit surprised at the high standard deviation of the Eley. I may repeat that test.

At $189 delivered, the new Kidd barrel is one of my better purchases. I now have a rifle that will be competitive in the monthly rimfire matches that have targets from 50 to 200 yards.

Cheers,
Richard

lefty o
08-13-2014, 05:28 PM
if you really wanna have fun, spend the money and buy the KIDD trigger. expensive, but sweet!

Iowa Fox
08-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Richard, I'm glad to hear your Kidd barrel is shooting well. I just purchased a 10" for a Charger clone I'm working on for next year. I'm going to need all the accuracy and tricks I can squeeze out of it. The "Super Munks" are going to be tough competition.

http://i57.tinypic.com/w2cdv9.jpg

Artful
08-13-2014, 09:11 PM
RG1911 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?26220-RG1911) aka Richard - did you find out what was going on with the Butler Creek? was it the crown or chamber or ???

RG1911
08-20-2014, 05:12 PM
RG1911 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?26220-RG1911) aka Richard - did you find out what was going on with the Butler Creek? was it the crown or chamber or ???
I had my riflesmith check it, and he didn't find an obvious problem. The crown is fine. Maybe the barrel was made on a Monday.

Richard

Forrest r
08-21-2014, 06:35 AM
The butler creek bbl's typically have extremely loose chambers, the bentz chambers are loose to begin with. But butler creek seems to be able to take it to a whole new level. The bc bbl's are an excellent donor bbl for custom made bbls. Bought a used bc bbl for $25 because it wouldn't shoot & cut it back 1/4" and re-chambered it with a full blown match chamber. Typical 50yd 5-shot groups after the bbl work, shoots ok for a $25 bbl & a $45 reamer with $6 a box ammo.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/38102283008.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/38102283008.jpg.html)

Those kidd bbl's will flat out shoot but it takes allot of tinkering with all the other pieces & parts of the 10/22 to get everything to come together. When their dialed in they make one heck of a fly swatter!!!!

Enjoy, quality ammo & bbl's make for one heck of an enjoyable day @ the range.

GRid.1569
08-30-2014, 02:11 PM
T.K. stuff is superb IMO.

most of the important stuff in my small bore gallery rifle set up is Tony's... what's not... soon will be...

BTW... I'm in the Scottish Gallery Rifle Squad... say's more about TK than me.......

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-30-2014, 07:20 PM
Just a side light here about seasoning a barrel with repeated shots from a new ammo.

I have read many times about the need to season a barrel when making an ammo switch, but had yet to see any proof of this when shooting with my Clark Custom 77/22 equipped with a Walther barrel.

Well, some time ago when testing a 10/22 build with a Feddersen barrel, I decided to split my tests into 5 shot groups and see if the oft said need of seasoning was fact or fiction.

During those tests, I did see a couple times when during the first 5 shot group there would be a flier, but the groups always settled down before the first group was over and additional groups simply showed no tendency to throw shots out of the group.

The point here is, the need to season the barrel after an ammo change seems to be a sometimes thing at worse and may seldom rear it's ugly head.

Test your rifle before wasting a lot of really pricy match/target ammo. It may surprise you.

By the way, the Feddersen barrel is one VERY fine barrel!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought the Clark Custom 77/22 shot well, but the 10/22 build with the 16.25" .920 barrel will give it a run for it's money.

NOTHING AT ALL pro or con here on the Kidd barrel, I think they are good ones, but the repeated shots fired to season the barrel caught my eye and in my limited experience I think it is mostly just wasted ammo.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

garandsrus
08-30-2014, 09:46 PM
I put a Fedderson barrel on my 10-22 and also have been imppressed with it. The 10-22 is about as accurate as mt .22 bolt guns.