PDA

View Full Version : Removing bbl on 1967 Canadian Cent., Win '94

Depreacher
08-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Several months back I worried all of you for info on this procedure, and I thank you for all the excellent advice. Finally got my Wheeler bbl vice mounted on a steel table, and my action wrench made per instructions from the Castboolits crowd. Was thinking about not disassembling the action, just removing the receiver screws under the wrenchs grip and pulling the bolt back just enough to clear the extractor. If there is any side play in the floorplate I would insert a proper feeler gauge for a skin tight fit, so as to support it. I am using smooth aluminum shims between the wrench and the receiver. Brass better ??? Don't want to mar that 99.8% blue, or whatever type of coating Winchester put on the receiver. Any last minute advice would sure be welcome before I put on the wrench. BBl must come completely off so I can align the front sight straight up in relation to the receiver. THANKS for any and ALL advice. Mack

pietro
08-13-2014, 02:02 PM

I fear to give you an answer because of the rather fragile Black Chrome exterior receiver finish on that commemorative - the chrome's very prone to chipping, and it's very easy to ruin the finish.

I would definitely prefer to work with the sight, if possible.

Is it only the front sight that's off plumb, with the correction being recutting the sight dovetail - or is the barrel out of registration (there should be a bbl flat square with the receiver top), too ?

Depreacher
08-13-2014, 08:29 PM
The front sight is fine. The barrel is not screwed in enough to make the top bbl flat align with the center of the receiver ring. If I can get it in a couple of degrees more, all will be well. What if I use thick leather to pad the receiver from the flats on the wrench??? Will that protect the chrome? Also have lots of 1/8" thick black neoprene, that is super tough but very flexible. Maybe that would be best??? THANKS. Mack

MtGun44
08-16-2014, 10:41 PM
Cardboard shim or lead shim will protect the surface.

Bill

deltaenterprizes
08-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Lead shim, a roof jack will give you plenty