PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC decision What to do?

roysha
08-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Since I am a .270 nut, I currently own 5 different cartridges of .270 caliber, the 6.8 is absolutely in my future.

My dilemma is I'm not sure which way I want to go. This will be primarily a cast bullet gun which ever way I decide. I don't hunt so that is not really a factor either.

1. Build an AR version, either an M-4 style with 16" barrel or a 20" rifle.

2. Build one on a Zastava Mini Mauser action.

3. Build one on a CZ 527.

I'm really not that much of an AR fan but they are fun and the whole idea reason for this project is for the fun of it. For the 6.8 the downside would be shagging brass or having a catcher attached plus the stocks are not the most comfortable, especially when shooting from the bench. I would be stuck with the magazine limited COAL and although a single shot adapter can be used, it pretty much wipes out the idea of having an autoloader.

I can get a Zastava for what it would cost me to build an AR from a kit. However, there would be the cost of the barrel and reamer. I do prefer bolt guns and I could contour the barrel to suit me and play a bit with the length as well.

Except for price, which is around $150-200 more, pretty much the same comments apply to the CZ but there would be little or no flexibility with the COAL because of the detachable box magazine although either could, of course, be loaded singly.

What would you do and why?

dh2
08-12-2014, 07:09 PM
I would go with the AR-15 all of your parts are easy to get you can build the upper in about oe hour in your garage or work shop.
If I am going to the effort and expense to build a bolt action it would be a Rem. 700 or a 98 Mauser which would cause me to build one of the other .270 rounds better suited for this action..270 Win. , .270WSAM or some thing along that line
But I do enjoy my AR-15 in 6.8 SPC

ABluehound
08-14-2014, 01:55 AM
If you are going with optics instead of iron sights, go with the M-4. You do not need the extra sight radius and you can achieve almost the same terminal ballistics by adjusting your loads. The buffer absorbs some of the energy and allows a higher rate of fire if that is necessary. It is much easier to float a barrel on an AR to get that extra bit of accuracy and some very nice trigger groups can be had for reasonable expense also. As far as COAL issues with the heavy stuff, you can always do what I do so i can shoot heavier .223 rounds: cut off the front of the mag from the height of the follower on a fully compressed spring up and then tack welding the floor plate onto the mag at the tabs. It has me sending 98 grains down range without issues. Though if you tried using a boolet with a meplat you eliminate COAL issues and don't have to modify your mags to shoot heavy stuff.

Whiterabbit
08-22-2014, 01:44 AM
CZ due to pedigree. however, the mini mauser speaks to me as well.

I don't think the bolt on a CZ will match the spc size out of the box, right? Only 223 and 762x39 bolt face sizes. So, I'd probably take the mauser.

If you liked the Grendel, I'd say cz all the way.

FOR MY TASTES, it would be a mauser with a manlicher stock as choice #1. Maybe a short action even to alleviate mag issues. Though for me, id use the mini just because half the point is to make a reduced recoil 270 (kind of). Choice #2, a CZ 527 with the hogback stock.

IF scoped gun, would be a mauser with no #2. IF irons only, then the mauser or CZ, but probably the CZ. Though if you went with proper safari sights on the mauser, that would be a clincher for sure. A cz built as a miniature safari rifle complete with barrel band sling stud and 3-leaf iron sights (to whatever distance, since we have the luxury to do so) would be just the bee's knees.

Or even a manlicher carbine mini mauser, irons only. That would be an amazingly fun piece.

Moonie
08-29-2014, 09:52 AM
I love my 6.8 AR, used a Bison 18" Recon barrel. I do have a brass catcher as that brass can be hard to come by but it attaches and removes very easily.

Davidk
10-05-2014, 06:15 AM
I vote for the M4. 6.8 was designed for a 16-inch barrel.

Pinsnscrews
10-07-2014, 07:03 PM
From a resale perspective, the AR platform will be the easiest/quickest outlet to unload.

For sheer "FUN", AR's are not a "FUN" factor to me. Sure they shoot. Sure you can do all kinds of things with them. Sure they can be dead nuts accurate, but in my hands, they get boring fairly quickly. So for sheer "FUN" I would go for the Mini Mauser.

As for the CZ, to me, it is just another bolt gun. If I wanted a base for a unique build, like along the lines of a Rem XP100 then it might be fun to build and have. But then you have the whole SBR aspect. So, again, this is just another tack driver bolt gun to me.

Whiterabbit
10-08-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't buy guns as an investment, I buy them as a 1-way street.

Jedman
11-21-2014, 08:56 PM
roysha, Have you considered a break action single shot ? I have built over two dozen of them on H&R,Stevens,Baikal and several other break action shotguns with a liner barrel.
For a high pressure round like the 6.8 your best bet would be a H&R SB 2 receiver and either a Pardner or a Topper shotgun barrel, the Topper being a slimmer profile.
What I have done is to find a take off barrel usually from a bolt action that is already chambered in the caliber you want and turn it to fit whatever bore shotgun barrel you use and epoxy it permanently into the shotgun barrel. Then it's a matter of getting a extractor or ejector that will work and fitting it and drill and tap for a scope base.
The only way this would make sense for you is if you have a lathe and tools to do it yourself or a friend that has the skills and wanted to get involved.
I was at one time going to make a 6.8 barrel just like I described but with a rim cut as so I could form rimmed 6.8 brass with 30-30 brass and have something a little different.

Jedman

joatmon
11-24-2014, 01:17 AM
I would do the AR but you did type "I do prefer bolt guns" if I were you I would use the mini mauser.

Aaron