PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Micrometer Measure VS RCBS Uniflow

jakharath
08-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Howdy there fellas! Did some trading last night and ended up with a Hollywood Micrometer Measure. Only have enough room on my bench for one powder measure. Currently it's a <10 year old RCBS Uniflow.

Which one would you choose? The RCBS or the Hollywood?

Shiloh
08-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Either is functional and accurate. If I had a Hollywood, my bench would be sporting it.

Shiloh

Char-Gar
08-12-2014, 01:10 PM
I bought a used Hollywood in 1960 and it is still my principal measure. I have used it for everything from 2.5/BE to 84/4350. I record the setting and I can go back to it and it will be spot on. I check everytime on the scale but after 54 years, it has never varied.

Four years ago, I bought another Hollywood in case the original ever dies, which I don't think will ever happen.

I also have three Lyman 55's, which I leave set for a particular charge (3.5, 4.5 and 6.2 grains of Bulleye). Throw in an RCBS Little Dandy with a full set of rotors and I am ready to go.

I have never used the adjustable RCBS so I can't speak to it. I did have a Redding and didn't like it as well as the Hollywood.

Hollywood furnished these measures with a fiber insert to keep the powder level even. I started to take a picture, but my camera battery was dead. As soon as it charges, I will add picks to this post. It should be a snap to make one out of brass. They work quite well. The hole in the middle is 5/16" if you want to make one, but I don't think there is anything magic about the size of the hole.

jakharath
08-12-2014, 01:12 PM
You mean one of these:

It came with it.

Also nice that the clear powder measure 'tube' screws in.

Char-Gar
08-12-2014, 01:17 PM
You mean one of these:

It came with it.

Also nice that the clear powder measure 'tube' screws in.

Yep, that is it! From time to time the measure will get a little sticky due to powder reside on the drum. Remove the drum and scrub it clean with fine steel wool. Put a little powdered graphite on the drum and it will be slick and easy again.

If you want a larger or smaller powder thingie at the bottom, the green plastic RCBS that comes with the Little Dandy will screw right in.

seagiant
08-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi,
Wow! Hard question! I've have used both for years and like them both. Sinclair makes a kit to turn your RCBS into a "Benchrest" measure. I have actually gone with a completely different measure from the same time period that is better than both to me, which is the Saeco measure!

The Saeco's also usually come with the factory stand which is a win-win to me!

MOcaster
08-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Personally, I think you should go with the RCBS. And then let me trade you a Redding for the Hollywood! :) I love Hollywoods but I currently don't have one. I started off with one on loan but gave it back after a got an old Redding or two.

Kevin Rohrer
08-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Definitely the Hollywood, for accuracy as well as nostalgia.

I have tons of powder measures on my bench (I actually lost count), and my Hollywood is the most accurate and repeatable.

seagiant
08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Definitely the Hollywood, for accuracy as well as nostalgia.

I have tons of powder measures on my bench (I actually lost count), and my Hollywood is the most accurate and repeatable.

Hi,
Got a Saeco, Kevin???

Kevin Rohrer
08-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Hi,
Got a Saeco, Kevin???

Nope.

seagiant
08-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Hi,
Well, like I said I like the Hollywood and think it a great measure. However anyone that enjoys the older,better measures,should try a Saeco! The workmanship is superb!

salpal48
12-12-2014, 04:53 PM
I have an assortment of Older measure. I can say Not one is bad. Currently I am using The Hollywood and The Ohaus DU-O-Measure. there like having 2 measures in One

Dr.S
12-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Hi,
Well, like I said I like the Hollywood and think it a great measure. However anyone that enjoys the older,better measures,should try a Saeco! The workmanship is superb!
absolutely.I sold my hollywood because of the cheesy slotted screw that keeps the micrometer from turning. The Saeco is much better built for refined gentlemen. plus the hollywood has a rough aluminum casting with the "behind the iron curtain" feel to it.At least the one I had did anyhow. Go Saeco or just get a Lee PPM an kill yerself.

p.s. I just bagged another saeco w /stand fer 35 bucks shipped.
I buy them just to keep them out of the hands of savages.

seagiant
12-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Hi,
John if you have too many Saeco's let me know! I could use another!

Dr.S
12-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi,
John if you have too many Saeco's let me know! I could use another!
I would have to do a backround check and see if yer worthy.
These need to be kept out of the hands of trash. They lose the damn caps.

seagiant
12-12-2014, 08:11 PM

Hi,
If you don't know that already,your not getting out enough!!!

Kevin Rohrer
12-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Hi,

Don't know if I need another measure as the Hollywood gets only a small amount of use now, but I started looking on Ebay. Which model should I buy?

Kevin Rohrer
12-14-2014, 02:53 PM

I am worthy; Seagiant, Lubedude, and Pressman can vouch for me. :bigsmyl2:

smokeywolf
12-14-2014, 03:11 PM
Go for the Hollywood. It's the only measure I use.

winelover
12-15-2014, 09:09 AM
My Hollywood Senior Turret came with two micrometer powder measures and two shot measures. The previous owner was only using it for shotshell reloading. That also explains the eight 1 1/2 inch die holes. I have never tried the powder measures out. I guess maybe it's time. I also own a Uniflow but it hardly gets used anymore. The RCBS Chargemaster gets all the use!

Winelover