PDA

View Full Version : Library

DrJay1st
01-26-2008, 08:48 PM
It would be interesting to find out what you guys think should be in everyones library with regards to cast boolits? What the absolute essentials for the basic library? Then what would you add for step two? And for step three, what related text?
For the short term, I need to do the reading and this might be of interest to all the new casters as well.
Jerry

JSnover
01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

Dale53
01-26-2008, 09:46 PM
1 - Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook
2 - Lyman Pistol and Revolver Manual
3 - NRA Handloader's Guide (out of print)

Dale53

DLCTEX
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and this forum, what more could you ask. Dale

HollandNut
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Cast Bullets by Col E.H.Harrison added to those as well ...

grumpy one
01-26-2008, 10:40 PM
I keep the three editions of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, the only edition of the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual that there is (AFAIK), and a Lyman Reloading Handbook, 46th edition. I suggest the third edition Lyman CBH is useful as background reading, provided you realise it is frequently wrong, and the others are mainly for comparison and reference, along with the archives of this site. So, for someone starting out, I suggest the Lyman CBA 3rd as an introductory text, provided you read it as "somebody's best guess at the time, and that was a while ago." Subsequently what you need depends on how much you like to read, and how much you like to develop your own theories versus relying on the collective wisdom. There are a lot of experimenters on this site - it seems to be a common characteristic.

MT Gianni
01-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Going past those mentioned, the NRA had a couple of reloading how-to's put out in the 60's and 70's with some good articles designed for casters. Veral Smith has a book that is full of information, not that it is easy to locate or assimilate depending on his writing style. Beartooth Bullets plagerized most of it,IMHO, when Veral was out of circulation and sells theirs a lot cheaper. Gianni

DrJay1st
02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I've received 3 of the text you mentioned...so I can get started getting back up to speed...It's been 15 or 20 years since I did much reloading or reading on cast bullets.
Jerry

VTDW
02-05-2008, 10:20 PM
The Second Edition of the book "CAST BULLETS FOR BEGINNER AND EXPERT" is complete.
This has gone from under 100 to 496 pages produced by well over 140 contributors, and is a non-profit enterprise.
Any excess of money will go to Rudi Prusok and the ASSRA archives, a wonderful resource for gun info.
A WORD copy with all EXCEL workbooks and ERRATA is available at no charge on http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/, in FILES.
WORD and Adobe Acrobat .pdf copies of the book, with EXCEL workbooks and ERRATA on a CD are available delivered for $5.
Printed copies, through cafepress.com, are available at $27.
For the CD or printed copy send cash, check or M.O. to:
Joe Brennan
11 Sombrero Blvd., #16
Marathon, FL 33050

HORNET
02-06-2008, 07:56 AM
You might want to add "The Art of Bullet Casting" by Wolfe Publications. Lots of articles from the early days of 'Handloader', when they still had writers that knew something about casting (even if they did spell Boolit funny). I've heard that there was a supplement, but I've never seen it. Lots of others from there are nice to have- Donaldson's book, 'The Bullets Flight' by Mann, their book on Harry Pope......

StrawHat
02-06-2008, 08:11 AM
depending on which caliber you load the Ken Waters chapters from his Pet Loads series is a wealth of information.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

And asa was mentioned earlier, bookmark this site.

Scrounger
02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
You might want to add "The Art of Bullet Casting" by Wolfe Publications. Lots of articles from the early days of 'Handloader', when they still had writers that knew something about casting (even if they did spell Boolit funny). I've heard that there was a supplement, but I've never seen it. Lots of others from there are nice to have- Donaldson's book, 'The Bullets Flight' by Mann, their book on Harry Pope......

I just checked Wolfe Publishing and they have the book on DVD, along with a couple of others, for $25. (http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/detail.cfm?productid=806&subcategoryid=8) I just ordered one as well as a DVD of their book on Lever Action Rifles for $7. Thanks for the idea.

JSnover
02-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Paul Matthews' "The Paper Patch" and "How to Shoot Black Powder" can still be found. Buffalo Arms has a handful of his books. They're a short read and he gets right to the point on a lot of topics.

Dale53
02-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I was reading through Joe Brennan's (and friends) "Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert" and I would put it in the "Highly Recommended" list.

Dale53

jawjaboy
02-06-2008, 05:46 PM
I was reading through Joe Brennan's (and friends) "Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert" and I would put it in the "Highly Recommended" list.

Dale53

And I agree Dale!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000628.jpg

Bent Ramrod
02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Although the powder weights and types are generally obsolete in the loading data section, Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading is an excellent overview of all aspects of reloading, with a good chapter on boolit casting and reduced load workups. It was the first handloading book I ever read all the way through, and I still go back to it after 35+ years whenever I need to review the basics. Or just for fun.