PDA

View Full Version : What Mec press do I need to buy?

multigunner76
08-11-2014, 09:53 PM
My primary load would be the Lyman or Lee Slug. Secondary would be #6 and #8 shot. I would want to be able to load 100 or so of each in a setting. I found info on a MEC 600 slugger but cant find any used ones on flea bay. I see the 600 JR used is less that 100 bucks on average. Just looking for some input as I have no clue what I need.

Bought a MEC JR.. WIsh I could figure out how to add attachment

too many things
08-11-2014, 10:15 PM
your best investment for a single type would be the older sizemaster. its easy to change from 2-3/4 to 3in. and change kits are not too much

seagiant
08-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Hi,
I used the junior for years and it makjes a nice shell! Spend the extra and get the primer feeder and the adjustable charge bar! Best bang for the buck IMO!

LUBEDUDE
08-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi,
I used the junior for years and it makjes a nice shell! Spend the extra and get the primer feeder and the adjustable charge bar! Best bang for the buck IMO!

I agree with every word here from SG.

I learned on a 600 Jr and stayed with it for 35 yrs. Easily pumps outs 100 Rds in bit more than an hour if memory serves me.

The only reason I went to a another loader is I messed up my left hand which throws the charge bar.

Easy to learn, and you won't be disappointed.

Garyshome
08-12-2014, 10:33 AM
MecJr.!

AggieEE
08-12-2014, 11:13 AM
I'll have to cast my vote for the sizemaster. I have more than on shotgun so do I really need to have the base of the shell size? I don't know, but it makes me feel better. BTW with a "single stage press" it will take you 45 min. to load 100 shells. I know, I did it a lot of times then bought a mec progressive.

seagiant
08-12-2014, 01:47 PM
I'll have to cast my vote for the sizemaster. I have more than on shotgun so do I really need to have the base of the shell size? I don't know, but it makes me feel better. BTW with a "single stage press" it will take you 45 min. to load 100 shells. I know, I did it a lot of times then bought a mec progressive.

Hi,
Yes, it comes down to a personal preference and need. When I had to start reloading shotshells for my sister and nephew I went all te way to a $1400 Spolar Gold! I had to try it and it is the Mercedes Benz of shotshell loaders so I guess I've been around the block on this!

Did the Spolar make a BETTER shell than the MEC jr.? No, afraid not but made them a whole lot faster! When I went back to loading for myself now use a 50 year old DL/Pacific-300 that I rebuilt!

Don't count out the older Bair and Pacific reloaders also!

Garyshome
08-12-2014, 03:18 PM
Look for a used MEC they are usually not to expensive, built well, parts are available/inexpensive. They work much better then the Lee load all's.

seagiant
08-12-2014, 04:11 PM
http://www.movietrailers-db.com/0sZm0FreeV1NBzL/MEC-600-Jr-Primer-Feed-%28Speed-Test%29.html

pathdoc
08-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Slugger will only do slugs. If you also want to load shot, and want only one machine, give it a miss.

too many things
08-12-2014, 08:42 PM
used the spolar and liked it to a point, the mec 9000 is my best choice. like Dillon I have a 650. and paid 3 times what a Lee cost
I use the lee, same as the mec 9000 it will do anything you want, and you can use the adj bar . same in any mec
just a C or D

best money used is for MEC

multigunner76
08-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Is there any reason I shouldnt buy a MEC progressive?

And I saw only one MEC jr on fleabay that has a scale on it. I assume it seating pressure? Ive only saw it on one press.

r1kk1
08-13-2014, 10:04 PM
I agree with seagiant on the 600 jr with adjustable powder/shot bar and primer feed. The sizemaster would also be a good choice utilizing the powder/shot bar. I've rebuilt quite a few 600s and would do gauge changes but they are not the easiest to do. I use a P/W 375 with different toolheads that cover me from 10 to 410 and hulls (depending on gauge) from 2-½" to 3-½". A truly versatile press. No primer feeder. I wish it did.

I don't know how a single stage press thread turned into a progressive thread. It's funny really. Two extremes used in comparison. I've own an Apex, 9000 and 800b. The 800 stayed the longest with me because of one major thing - toolheads. I'm saving up for Spolar. A few toolheads and it does 12, 16, 20, 28 and both 2-½" but 3" 410s. Nice. A truly functional piece of art work. I like versatility.

So, I would definetly agree with Seagiant on the cost effectiveness of the jr set up the way he stated.

No matter if it's single stage or progressive, I love my MEC supersizer. It comes in handy for range pickups.

Take care

r1kk1

GRUMPA
08-13-2014, 10:09 PM
I took a couple of pictures of 1 of 2 that I have, both are the same as far as the seating pressure adjustment is concerned.

This shows the numbers and that red indicator, just under that is the adjustment. Notice the silver colored rod just below that? That is what you can move up and down once the clamp is loosened that holds it in place so you can adjust the seating pressure.

Here's a slightly more level picture of the same press, just a little higher than the first 1.

I use it all the time depending on what I'm loading. For the real lite loads I make I have virtually no wad seating pressure. While the slug loads I do I adjust it so I have 50-60 seating pressure. Once it's adjusted (just takes a few seconds) and you tighten up the clamp your good to go.

Hope that helps.

bdicki
08-13-2014, 10:16 PM
I like my MEC Grabbers.

HeavyMetal
08-13-2014, 10:24 PM
The MEC's are good press's and make a nice shell. I've had both 600 jr and the next step up the Sizemaster. Production is about the same but the ability to resize a shell in the Sizemaster's collet die is a much better idea that the 600 jr. Pay a little extra and get the Sizemaster.

Now a quick note on shot shell reloaders: all of them are designed to work with 9 shot, everything depends on how the unit "vibrites" when cycled and shot bigger than 9 changes how they drop both shot and powder.

Add in recycled shot, that is a mix of 9 8 7.5 and 5 and 6 shot and your loads will be all over the place!

Select components with care and good reloads will follow!

If your going to go progressive in a shot shell go Ponsness Warren or Spolar but unless your shooting 1000 or so a month the single stage MEC's will get r gone and well!

multigunner76
08-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the pics and thanks to everyone for the suggestions. time to hit fleabay.

GRUMPA
08-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the pics and thanks to everyone for the suggestions. time to hit fleabay.

If I were you.....I would post a thread in the WTB section. You never know you may get what your looking for.
Or a better 1 at a better price.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Want-To-Buy-!

multigunner76
08-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I bought one last night.

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Let me throw in one other to look for. Pacific DL266. It is the Cadillac of single stage loaders. they are available on Ebay frequently I have one for 12 ga and .410. both are a joy to operate.

A used 12ga one will cost you the same as a used MEC and they are just nicer and smoother to use and all of the stations are directly in front of you running left to right.

I load all my specialty 12ga slug and buckshot loads on this machine and short runs 50-100 of trap loads on it as well.

I have that Spolar that Greg talked about and it is great for making hundreds of loads in a short time. However it doesn't make ammo any better than the DL266 or a MEC for that matter. It is also much more of a commitment $. It will do 900 per hour if you can stand there and feed it.

Randy

M-Tecs
08-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Selling my Pacific DL266 was one of the bigger mistakes I have made. I agree it is the Cadillac of single stage loaders.

seagiant
08-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Selling my Pacific DL266 was one of the bigger mistakes I have made. I agree it is the Cadillac of single stage loaders.

Hi,
It's funny I try to buy as well as I can as I enjoy rebuilding these loaders and have the means to do it. I tried to find a low price on a Pacific 266 and couldn't really do it! Owners were very loyal to the machine and wanted hard cash to part with them!!!

I have owned the earlier Pacific 260 and although they work very well are a little "busy" as the shell has to go left-right-left-right when going through the process. they are also smaller than the 266. The 266 fixed those problems by being a bigger open front machine where the process starts at the left and moves to the right till done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xprQBjlGF7Q

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Yes Greg, and if you set up the press with the handle on the left you use your right hand to move the hull and it is much easier than using your left hand. You also use your right hand to hit the charge bar and insert the wad.

I realize this may be **** backwards to a lefty like you, but unless you could set the machine up as a Mirror Image (which you can't) Then that is the best way to operate it.

I can do about 2 shells a minute with this machine in either 12 or .410 and the .410 requires you to place a primer manually since the primers are bigger than the ID of the hull and can't fit thru a hull sized tube so there is no primer feed system like on the 12 and 20 ga. machines. It makes very nice ammo and it is just about impossible to screw up a hull. The process runs from left to right and there is little that can go wrong.

This is the beauty of the single stage press.

I paid $50 for my 12 ga. press which was brand new never used, but it was missing the charge bar which I had to make since there are no replacement parts other than the ones in common with the DL366 progressive. I paid $225 for the .410 press, and whereas I had to completely disassemble it and clean it up it was in basically very good condition and looks essentially new after I got done with it. You know how that works, as you've done plenty of Restos on reloading presses. They always seem to be better than new when done.

How is AK treating you?

Randy