PDA

View Full Version : 50-90 Bullets !

6pt-sika
01-26-2008, 08:01 PM
I went outside this afternoon to cast some bullets for a 356 WIN and decided to try my moulds for the 50-90 SHarps even though I still have a ways to wait for my rifle yet !

I had bought a pair of LNIB RCBS moulds for the 50-90 . One is 450 grains and the other is 515 grains . And for christmas a Lyman 515142 was found under the tree !

So I went and cast about 2 dozen of each bullet from WW's [smilie=1:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0432.jpg

kodiak1
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I am surprised you ain't got them things stuffed into brass yet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice looking lead pieces. I shoot the Lyman there and really like it. Got to cast some paper patching bullets tommorrow with my new moulds from RRR.
Ken

6pt-sika
01-27-2008, 12:58 AM
I am surprised you ain't got them things stuffed into brass yet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice looking lead pieces. I shoot the Lyman there and really like it. Got to cast some paper patching bullets tommorrow with my new moulds from RRR.
Ken

I only have 40 pieces of brass :???:

But I have yet to get any blackpowder and I am out of SPG lube !

Also need to make myself a drop tube of some type !

6pt-sika
01-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Kodiak , I plann on getting a RCBS 50 caliber paper patch mould if evrything works out alright with the grooved bullets first !

EDK
01-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Take a look at LARS's black powder lube. A lot cheaper than "the high priced spread" and works just as good for LEAH (my 50/90 Shiloh.)

DON'T TRIM THE CASES UNTIL YOU'VE FIRED THEM! I now have 50 that are about 15/1000 short!

Take a look at Red River Rick's moulds. If I can ever make a decision, he'll get a check for one of his. They sure look good and CAS over at Shiloh has done some d--- fine shooting with boolits from one (Didn't he get the used mould from Kodiak?)

I used the 515142 until I got the 620 grainer from Steve Brooks. The Brooks boolit shoots better than I can hold!

Take a look at the Meacham bushing-style neck sizer dies. They are excellent and save working that expensive and hard to find brass to death.

Ain't waiting for your Shiloh like watching paint dry?

:castmine: :redneck:

moodyholler
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
50-90 making the West safe for the 45-70 for 140 years!!!!!!!! moodyholler
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/moodyholler/024.jpg
50-90 50-70 45-70

kodiak1
01-27-2008, 11:43 PM
6pt as stated by EDK Try Lars lube it is just as good and 1/2 the price of SPG.
Moulds I just got them two adjustable paper patch moulds from RRR and after casting a couple hundred in my test run I am going to in the near future be ordering two more 40 Cal and a 38 Cal.
His work is exquisite and they dropped continuos excellent bullets after I got them warmed up and going.
Both moulds were consistant 20 wrinkled bullets and then we went to work and cast. I run the pot a little on the hot side and some were starting to come out frosted.
The 50 gives me a range up to 860Grn. Flat or hollow base which ever I choose.
RRR make a fantastic mould he just can't spell worth a hoot, (my joke on him).
How long a wait you got left?
Ken

Jon K
01-28-2008, 01:47 AM
6pt,

Ditto on LARS BP lube. I also like DGL, and have at times mixed the two.

You might also look at Paul Jones moulds http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/50_caliber.htm, if you want to try before you buy a mould check Sagebrush
http://www.sagebrushproducts.com/bullets.htm,

Give Paul a call, he can very helpful. I have several of his moulds, they are easy to use, drop out perfectly round and to size. They shoot better than I can. I don't have a big 50 but know folks that do. I have 40 & 45, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Jones, Brooks lots of good custom moulds out there, you spent a lot on the Shiloh.......don't skimp on a mould.

BACO PP mould, I have a .441 I''m very happy with. They make a 500 grain Flat Base PP mould.

Lots to look at out there.......I bought a lot of production moulds for my 40-65, in fact spent way more than the cost of the PJ mould, lost a lot selling the production moulds.

Jon

WBH
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I have used a BB Lee 500 gr, a RCBS PB 500 gr, and a 650 gr Paul Jones Creedmore LR bullets in my Big Fifty. The 650 being for the longer work. Paul and David Jones are great people to work with. They just cut me a custom .459 mould for my chicken loads in my 45-70.

I would strongly suggest you NOT use anything but 20 or 30 to 1 lead:tin for your 50-90. The other alloys are just too hard to obturate properly and give poor accuracy.

I also hope that you are only going to use BP in your rifle. Black will far out-shoot the smokeless in your caliber.

Ditto on the SPG. There are lots of BP lube out there. LARS is one of them. Many, like myself, brew our own. Pioneer is another, just name a few.

Bullshop
03-24-2008, 10:42 PM
WBH
Hold up there pard I am gona have ta back ya up a few steps there.

"I would strongly suggest you NOT use anything but 20 or 30 to 1 lead:tin for your 50-90. The other alloys are just too hard to obturate properly and give poor accuracy."

No offence ment to you but I gotta tell ya it just aint so. I kin put my money where my mouth is and send ya some targets to prove it if ya want.
How bout a story instead.
I was shooting in a match at Buffalo Gap ND It was a long range buffaol match. I had started the match shooting 20/1 alloy and half way through the match we stopped to paint the targets.
A fella meanderd over to me and asked if I had any of the boolits I was shooting for sale.
Well I did have a few boxes that he took and asked if I had any more. I had about another 50 rounds loaded for the match and since I dont size cases for match shooting I pulled all the boolits and gave him those too.
I had a couple boxes of the same boolit cast in an alloy of 6pt ww to 1 pt monotype at bhn 15.
I just slipped those in the charged cases and never missed a beat. I was the only one that went 8 for 8 at 850yards and used the same sight settings that I had established earlier in the morning with the 20/1 alloy boolits.
Now it sounds to me like you are passing on some second hand information that you didnt check out yourself.
Just so you dont think I am full of hot air check the thread from a week or so ago about the 50/90 not being accurate. I did post a target there and I think the alloy is writen on the target and it aint 20/1 or 30/1 its plain ol acww.
Sorry if I seem a bit touchy about this but its just another one of those things that has been passed along for so long folks think its true but I can proove any day of the week it just aint so.
Blessings
BIC/BS

WBH
03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
WELL.................we just disagree.....let's leave it at that. I never shoot hard alloys in MY BP rifles because they shoot better with 20-30:1.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Fickle things these BPCR's. I shoot a PJ 650 in my 50/90 not because WW won't shoot but from bench testing, the best accuracy came from engraving the boolit into the rifling at loading.
Just too darn hard to push WW material in!
The mould is made to cast 0.512 with 1:30 and WW would give a much lighter boolit with different dimensions

Bullshop
03-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Maybe true of your rifle but you painted that picture with a broad brush when you made that statement.
My rifle will shoot many differant alloys hard and soft equally well.
There is more than one road to travel in search of accuracy for these guns and to suggest otherwise seems rather silly to me.
When we hit on a load that shoots beyond what we were expecting we think WOW this is it I found it and go no further. But if we were to keep going continuously trying new things we will find there are other ways to produce the same results.
One of the reasons I will likely try more things than anyone else is because of the business I am in. I cant afford to travel to compete but I sure like to shoot. I rarely ever actually take time to make boolits for myself. Generaly I shoot over run from orders I have filled. Those orders will run the gamut in alloys. Because I shoot so many differalt alloys I have learned that with load development they can all be made to shoot.
I have a few customer shooting
both black and smokless powder in both 45 and 50 cal rifles in competition ordering boolits in WW alloy. I am guessing they are not setteling for less than the best their rifles will do.
You may be correct in saying that in your experiance so far you have learned that your rifle will do best with ----- but to say that all rifles will perform just the same as yours does as I said to me just sounds rather silly.
No offence ment here, I am just voicing my opinion based on my experiance.
God bless
BIC/BS

xtimberman
03-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Some of my good friends who shoot regularly in BPCR matches are casting their bullets with harder and harder alloys with great success. In these cases, they are all shooting newly-manufactured replicas or old actions with modern mfg. barrels. I wonder if that is the main factor here. I've never had a .50-90, but I've had several .50-70s that I shot quite a lot.

It's funny how personal experiences can be so different! :???: I've never been able to get any of my old rifles to shoot as well with BP and hard (WW) bullets as with BP and a 1:30 alloy. It becomes readily apparent when I run out of soft lead and 1:30 ingots and have to shoot bullets cast from WWs! :-D That always forces me to quickly go scrounging around for some soft lead and tin.

With smokeless powder loads in these rifles, it's another story - a harder allow seems to inprove accuracy.

xtm

Boz330
03-25-2008, 06:21 PM
In my 40-65 WWs will shoot real well for 15 or 20 rounds and then the leading gets so bad I'm lucky to hit the backstop. 20-1 doesn't give me any problems at all. This is with BP. With smokeless it still leads but not as bad with the hard boolits. Could that problem be solve, maybe, but I have a load that shoots why fix it. Actually one of the best 600yrd groups that I have shot was BP and WWs but not enough rounds to lead to the point that accuracy fell off.

Bob

wills
03-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Some of my good friends who shoot regularly in BPCR matches are casting their bullets with harder and harder alloys with great success. In these cases, they are all shooting newly-manufactured replicas or old actions with modern mfg. barrels. I wonder if that is the main factor here. I've never had a .50-90, but I've had several .50-70s that I shot quite a lot.

With smokeless powder loads in these rifles, it's another story - a harder allow seems to inprove accuracy.

xtm

Since tin costs more than lead, why not use as little as you can and still get good boolit fillout?

xtimberman
03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Since tin costs more than lead, why not use as little as you can and still get good boolit fillout?

Less than the 1:30 ratio that I normally use?
There might be other considerations besides bullet fill-out. I'm really cheap, but it seems like I tried that and had some leading and accuracy issues with ~1:50-1:40. I'll have to review my notes.

xtm

wills
03-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Less than the 1:30 ratio that I normally use?
There might be other considerations besides bullet fill-out. I'm really cheap, but it seems like I tried that and had some leading and accuracy issues with ~1:50-1:40. I'll have to review my notes.

xtm

Apparently i misread something, i was not suggesting less than 1:30