PDA

View Full Version : RIP Robin Williams

DeanWinchester
08-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Wow. I just read this. Robin Williams dead from suicide by asphyxia.

You never know what's going on in a persons life.
He was one of the funniest men on earth and certainly comfortable in the wealth department. Gotta wonder what demons were taking residence in his soul.

Rest in peace Mork.

Ben
08-11-2014, 07:27 PM
People that look " OK " on the outside are often times not " OK " on the inside.

Ben

Beagle333
08-11-2014, 07:34 PM
What a shame.

shooter93
08-11-2014, 07:40 PM
He was one of my favorites of all time. I put him right up there with Red Skelton. Red didn't need the profanity (not that it offends me) and Williams didn't either depending what venue he was in.

375supermag
08-11-2014, 07:48 PM
He was extremely talented but tormented by demons we can only imagine.

Sad...very sad

10-x
08-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Sad, very sad. Such talent but unable to deal with life. We have lost a great comic to drugs and drink. RIP Mr Williams.

timspawn
08-11-2014, 07:53 PM
It seems every "artist" has a dark side, no matter if they are a painter, musician or actor. I have a friend that is a tattoo artist that kicked a decade long heroin addiction. I have another friend that sold 15 million albums as part of a band. He is no longer part of that band because of his drug issues. He is clean now thankfully. It sure does seem that people that can really create things are more often than not, right on the razors edge mentally.

smokeywolf
08-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Spent a little time around him on the "Hook" set. He was always pleasant, down to earth and personable.

Sorry he left so soon.

Cornbread
08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
That's sad. He was my all time favorite comedian. Whenever I have a really bad day, I Google interviews with him. He cracks me up so much, his brand of funny never fails to make my day better.

auto5man
Don't know what to say :(
RIP

Finster101
Very sad. I have read that he was difficult to work with only because he could and would improvise so much he was hard to keep up with.

John Allen
08-11-2014, 08:12 PM
I enjoyed watching his stuff. What a shame.

TXGunNut
08-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Robin Williams did a lot of good in his short time here, very sorry to hear of his passing.

wyrmzr
08-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I think he was the ultimate ADHD type; he will be missed.

condorjohn
08-11-2014, 08:45 PM
If you've never seen Robin Williams' "American Flag" check it out on Utube.

Elkins45
08-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Unfortunately it seems like that the same traits that make people very creative are often shared with ones that make them susceptible to this kind of thing.

He was probably the best improvisational comic of his generation, if not ever. What a shame.

kungfustyle
08-11-2014, 09:04 PM
What a shame. Funny man, he will be missed. I wonder if he would have know that his death would reach a forum like this and if it would have made a difference.

richhodg66
08-11-2014, 09:15 PM
I remember seeing him perform in Kuwait in late 2003 or early 2004 as part of a USO show (I hadn't moved north yet at the time). Most of the celebs the USO brought wouldn't go in Iraq, Robin Williams did and when I looked at his schedule of where and when he was performing in the Stars and Stripes, he must have never slept. So many locations all over Iraq in about three or four days, he must have done a show, jumped on a helicopter and done the next show for the whole time he was there. Good man, I am very saddened to hear of his passing. Suicide is the saddest thing that can happen to anybody.

M-Tecs
08-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Funny guy with very liberal politics. http://hollowverse.com/robin-williams/

If he was a hard core conservative I wonder if the MSM would be so kind?

richhodg66
08-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Maybe, but he was in the right camp where those of us in uniform were concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA#t=190

M-Tecs
08-11-2014, 09:45 PM
He was entitled to his views whether liberal or conservative. Not for me to judge.

When Charlton Heston passed the MSM and Hollywood crowd was far from kind. Will the MSM and Hollywood crowd be so kind when Uncle Teddy or Tom Selleck passes?

That is the point. We are not judging him for his views. Wished the MSM and Hollywood crowd extended us the same courtesy

multigunner76
08-11-2014, 09:48 PM
I will never understand this. My Dad killed himself. I just dont understand what could be so bad that you would want to take your own life. RIP

35 shooter
08-11-2014, 09:50 PM
From stand up comic to movies the guy could do it all. He will be missed! Hope he finds peace now

Skipper
08-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Robin Williams dead from suicide by asphyxia

Tears of a clown............

xacex
08-11-2014, 09:57 PM
What an ***! Think what his family is going through because he couldn't tell someone he was hurting inside. I never though the man was so self centered. Tragedy yes, for his family, and to the ones who loved him. His selfishness will not be mourned in my home...

doc1876
08-11-2014, 10:50 PM
part of his act was about his pain. I loved his work &will miss his entertainment.

scarry scarney
08-12-2014, 12:07 AM
(as posted in Robin Williams, DOA thread)

I enjoyed a lot of his work. My favorite will always be the special radio broadcast he did for "us" on Armed Forces Radio, during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. It was "Good Morning Saudi" similar to his "Good Morning Vietnam." I will have to find the recording I made and listen to it again.

May he finally find peace from the Demons that haunted him in life.

Piedmont
08-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Is it certain that this was a suicide? Asphyxiation sure isn't how I would choose to kill myself. Remember David Caradine? Could it be that type of accident?

Garyshome
08-12-2014, 11:00 AM
RIP sorry to see such a great talent go.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-12-2014, 11:17 AM
He was entitled to his views whether liberal or conservative. Not for me to judge.

When Charlton Heston passed the MSM and Hollywood crowd was far from kind. Will the MSM and Hollywood crowd be so kind when Uncle Teddy or Tom Selleck passes?

That is the point. We are not judging him for his views. Wished the MSM and Hollywood crowd extended us the same courtesy
we all know the MSM and Hollywood (liberal) crowd does NOT have the "tolerance" for conservatives that they demand from us for their agenda.

btw, I guess I don't know who you mean by "Uncle Teddy", but I surely didn't have anything good to say about Chappaquiddick Teddy when he passed, I have yet to hear anything good he contributed to our society, so maybe I am a bit of a hypocrite for pointing out the fails of the Liberal tolerance, But I sure enjoyed Robin William's talents no matter what his political allegiance was too.

M-Tecs
08-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Uncle Teddy = Ted Nugent

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Uncle Teddy = Ted Nugent
OH
...I always think of him as the motor city mad man :)

dakotashooter2
08-12-2014, 12:00 PM
I remember seeing him perform in Kuwait in late 2003 or early 2004 as part of a USO show (I hadn't moved north yet at the time). Most of the celebs the USO brought wouldn't go in Iraq, Robin Williams did and .

That's because the celebs do it for the benefit of themselves and won't risk their own safety while the true artists do it for the benefit of the troops.

troyboy
08-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Sorry but it is what it is. Suicide is for cowards

tomme boy
08-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Suicide is unforgivable. It is one thing that is not forgiven!

xs11jack
08-12-2014, 09:51 PM
He died by hanging himself with a tie.

DeputyDog25
08-12-2014, 11:04 PM
I just can't believe this. It was such a shock when I read it. Depression is a very dark and scary thing to deal with, I know first hand. I am suffering with it right now, take a bunch of medication for it do the therapy also. You can look so well on the outside, while on the inside you have a raging war going on that is fought on a daily basis. RIP Robin Williams, you will be missed.

facetious
08-13-2014, 03:26 AM
Who hasn't gone through dark times? Some times all you want to do is find the light at the end of the tunnel but the tunnel seams to go on for ever, but when you are ready to give up there it is. It may still be a ways off but you slowly start having hope again that you will make it through. For some no matter how hard thy try thy can not find the end and for some there is no light at the end of the tunnel and thy find them self's at the end of a dark deep hole and no matter how hard thy try to find there way out or how loud thy cry for help the darkness slowly wins and then one day the tunnel caves in and thy are lost.

All we can do now is hope that he found the light that he was looking for and left the darkness behind.

Ickisrulz
08-13-2014, 04:50 AM

Based on what?

rollmyown
08-13-2014, 05:09 AM
Like everyone here (I assume) I never met the man, but over many years he made me laugh and smile a lot.

Thanks Robin, RIP

Del-Ray
08-13-2014, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by tomme boy

Based on what?

And don't forget dying and not knowing Jesus as your personal savior. That's not forgivable either.

And when I was a Catholic dying without being baptized meant no heaven either. So it seems there are a few. My nephew killed hisself, was a cop in St. petersburgh florida. The church refused to allow use of the church. That really hurt his mother. The church and family was all she really enjoyed. They gave her the double whammy.

RugerFan
08-13-2014, 05:49 AM
Is it certain that this was a suicide? Asphyxiation sure isn't how I would choose to kill myself. Remember David Caradine? Could it be that type of accident?

He also had cuts on his wrists.

The man will be sorely missed.

Ickisrulz
08-13-2014, 08:26 AM
And don't forget dying and not knowing Jesus as your personal savior. That's not forgivable either.

And when I was a Catholic dying without being baptized meant no heaven either. So it seems there are a few. My nephew killed hisself, was a cop in St. petersburgh florida. The church refused to allow use of the church. That really hurt his mother. The church and family was all she really enjoyed. They gave her the double whammy.

Jesus specifically said that every kind of sin is forgivable except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. This is the one thing he says cannot be forgiven. Where Christians ever got the idea that suicide is an instant trip to hell is a mystery to me. In addition, for someone to add grief to a family who just lost a loved one is cruel and counter productive. I only have a rudimentary understanding of Catholic Sacraments and the funeral/burial ritual. But, for the remainder of us the funeral is for the family and not an opportunity to lash out against the dead one last time. It is a time for comfort and even education. But it should not be used to say your recently departed loved-one is now in hell. And of course we just don't know for sure what happened in a person's final hours on earth. If you are trying to win people for Jesus, the least effective means is by saying mean things.

Piedmont
08-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Jesus specifically said that every kind of sin is forgivable except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. This is the one thing he says cannot be forgiven. Where Christians ever got the idea that suicide is an instant trip to hell is a mystery to me. In addition, for someone to add grief to a family who just lost a loved one is cruel and counter productive. I only have a rudimentary understanding of Catholic Sacraments and the funeral/burial ritual. But, for the remainder of us the funeral is for the family and not an opportunity to lash out against the dead one last time. It is a time for comfort and even education. But it should not be used to say your recently departed loved-one is now in hell. And of course we just don't know for sure what happened in a person's final hours on earth. If you are trying to win people for Jesus, the least effective means is by saying mean things.

It is murder of oneself. It is also destroying the temple of the holy spirit. That is where they get the opinion. Your points are good, though, and I am glad this one too is above my pay grade.

Cornbread
08-13-2014, 11:13 AM
If you are trying to win people for Jesus, the least effective means is by saying mean things.

I agree with this 100%. You cannot hate someone into heaven, you cannot change someones world view by hating at them either. I don't remember anywhere Jesus ever said anything about being unkind being a good or effective way to get people into heaven. But I do remember him commanding that we love one another.

deathdragon147
08-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Poor koko the gorilla lost her buddy