PDA

View Full Version : My New Wet Tumbler

Weaponologist
08-11-2014, 04:38 PM
I Decided to go from dry to wet. and after looking at all my options I went with the Bigdawg Tumbler. I wanted something that would not only take care of the big loads of competition brass but also those smaller batches that you make when working up new loads for your self and friends.
The problems with most retail wet tumblers is they only have one drum size. and there usually on the small size. then most custom made units are always just the huge drums. Well, with the Bigdawg you can choose your drum size. I personally went with the Small and the Medium drums. The Small will handle 5 to 7 pounds of Brass while the Med will handle 10 to 12 pounds of brass. He also makes a Large Drum that will hold 22 pounds of brass. With water and media the thing weighs around 60 pounds. Way to big for me. For now anyway...lol...

I needed to make a table for it, but when it came I couldn't wait to try it so, I placed boards under the feet so it wouldn't sink in the carpet and I went to work. I've cleaned around 3000 pc of brass so far and every piece looks like new. So far I'm very pleased with the results. I would like to try some of the bigger Media that's being sold here. I have the .047 but would like to try the .062 I think it is. I'm going to try that with just the pistol cases. has anyone else tried that?

http://i61.tinypic.com/34e25g8.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/zj6vt5.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/mr4u4i.jpg

GRUMPA
08-11-2014, 05:06 PM
I have the same tumbler with the medium sized drum, works like a champ doesn't it?

You can get the larger pins from a member here named Orisolo which is where I got mine from. Personally I like the larger pins since the smaller diameter pins had this nasty habit of lodging in the flash hole. Ever since I switched to the larger pins there's been no need to inspect the cases for pins..

Weaponologist
08-11-2014, 05:25 PM
That's good to know, I'll place my order for the bigger pins once I get paid this month. Probably get 10 lbs. to start with. I went with the motor upgrade on the Bigdawg and the motor is bigger than the drums..lol.. But, I can run it 24/7 with no problems now. It should be able to handle it. I like that it makes the brass look new and does it in just a few hours. I use to run my Vibratory Tumbler for the whole day while I reloaded and the brass didn't look this good.. Wet tumbling is the way to go, even if you go with a smaller unit. you'll still clean more brass at the end of the day...

GRUMPA
08-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Since I live on solar power I chose the smallest motor he used. Which is better for me since it draws just under 2Amps, and so long as the sun is up I can run it and on a good day I can run 3k in 500pc lots of my 300BO I make. The machine itself is well built and should last me a life time, never gave me any sort of an issue and I've had mine I think just over 2yrs now.

You'll love the larger pins, I put 12Lbs worth in mine, but remember I have the medium sized drum...

Bayou52
08-11-2014, 07:07 PM
I use the 0.047" pins. I switched from the 0.041" pins due to pins getting stuck side by side in flash holes with these smaller pins. I've never had a single stuck pin in a flash hole with the 0.047" pins.

Due to the success I've had with the 0.047" pins, I see no reason to go with any other size pin.

Bayou52

JASON4X4
08-11-2014, 08:37 PM
I made one of his from a set of plans he posted on a fourm. I made a small and large drum I run the larger pins. They work great and never get stuck in l the flash hols.