PDA

View Full Version : Having an issue with the Star sizer!

jayjay1
08-11-2014, 04:06 PM
The problem is, that I havenīt bought one earlier.
I think that I have wasted weeks of my lifetime sizing and lubing with a LAMII.

I could bite my ***, for waiting so long to get me one.

Best buy since Iīve started casting bullets, hands down.

Dale53
08-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Back in the Seventies, money was tight and a new Star was just out of the question. I was shooting at least 20,000 rounds of pistol and revolver ammo a year and casting my own bullets. The Lyman lube/sizer was getting quite a work out as was the operator (me:-(). A good friend, from a near by small suburb of Cincinnati was a friend of the retired police chief of that small community. The Chief was cleaning out his garage and wanting to get rid of "stuff". Amongst the stuff was a rusty ol' Star lube/sizer. My good friend, who has now gone to that perfect range in the sky, asked me if I wanted to buy it (for a VERY low price). I DID, I DID, I DID!! I removed all of the rust, repainted it, removed all of the dried up bullet lube from the interior and it has since sized/lubed well over 300,000 home cast bullets. It is definitely a STAR in more than name.

They can be a pain to set up, but once you have the "code" down pat, it is nothing but a pleasure to run. I have a Lyman heater (the flat kind that is drilled and tapped for a Star, Lyman, and RCBS sizer along with an adjustable power supply (you can simply use a wired up light dimmer) allows me to use the higher temperature lubes that I prefer (White Label's Carnauba Red, as an example of my preference).

Congratulations on your new acquisition!

Dale53

jayjay1
08-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks a bunch!

Couldnīt be happier!

I donīt really understand that (how long does the Star sizer now exist, thirty years or even more?) there still are Lyman and RCBS lube sizers, which are totally **** in case of effectiveness against the Star.

In fact, the Star sizer is not wellknown and even rare over here.

With my weak lube, it is a dream to work with.

MT Chambers
08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Jay jay: I think that if you check some of your earlier threads, most of us said that it would be the best money you ever spent!!

oger
08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Agree!

jayjay1
08-12-2014, 02:55 AM
@MT Chambers:

Thatīs correct.

But you can find here a loooooot of threads with lightly desperate sounding fellows having some probs with the Star Sizer (puncher setting, leaking lube, etc.) too.
So I wasnīt sure, what would happen to me and waited longer as I normally would have.

But Iīve measured out the heighth, put my lube in and started to lubesize - being to the point from the first bullet.
:D

So this was kind of a pretty big relaxation for me.
Being so happy I had to start this thread.

Huge thanks to all of you guys!
:drinks:

6bg6ga
08-12-2014, 05:53 AM
I have an open height chart for my different bullets and calibers. I also have Lathesmiths two piece punch which allows me to make minor adjustments by simply turning the punch. All my 45caliber bullets use the same punch setting.

bobthenailer
08-12-2014, 07:22 AM
The star/magnma lube sizer is like using a dillon 550 to L&S bullets compaired to the lyman & RCBS, Saeco's single stage l/s offerings, you can easyly do 1000 bullets per hr.

THE BEST MONEY YOU CAN SPEND ON CASTING EQUIPMENT

HATCH
08-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I think the best move I ever did was spend the money on a star sizer.
It was a better move then automating the master caster.

Now I think was it really cool is that now that I am doing Hitek coating exclusively on all my BOOLITS that I don't have to worry about punch settings or temp settings on the heater or pressure settings on the lube.

The other day I was able to size up a full coffee can of 38s at the rate of one boolit every 1.4 seconds. Thats over 2500 a hr!!!
This of course is using a automated star (air setup). All I had to do was try to keep up with it when I was loading boolits in the clear feeding tubes.

rbertalotto
08-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Few things in life bring such a satisfying smile to my face as operating my Star. A wonderful machine.......

Mine is set up on a Lyman heated base, Star air cylinder and Lathesmith dies bought right here on this forum.