PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret question(s)

Grumpa72
08-11-2014, 03:56 PM
I have had my CT now for about 5 years and I go through the indexing square ratchets fairly routinely so I must be doing something wrong. So here goes a pitiful attempt at describing my problem.

The indexing "square ratchet", SR, http://leeprecision.com/square-ratchet.html fits into the auto index clamp. http://leeprecision.com/auto-index-clamp.html My clamp has small indentations at the top that appear to be the same dimension as the SR and it would seem logical that this then holds the SR in place. However, there is round void below these indentations that the SR slips into. Once it slips down, it is usually worn enough that I toss it. Should the SR be held in place or is it free to move in the void when the clamp is closed? I actually bought a second auto index clamp a few years ago thinking that my first one was bad. They both act the same in that the SR isn't held in place like I think it should.

Can you shed light on this operation and tell me how I am screwing up? The Lee instructions are really vague on how the SR fits into the auto clamp. I have never been that impressed with their written instructions so I am trying here.

Thank you and, yes, I have posted this on a couple of other forums trying to get as much input as possible.

grumpa72

grumpa72@gmail.com

silverado
08-11-2014, 04:10 PM
when the ram is going up, the ratchet should be in the void allowing it to turn around the metal bar it rides on without turning it. When the ram is going down, the ratchet goes into the square portion of the clamp, locking the direction that it is facing. As the clamp goes down with the ram, it engages the "curved" part of the turret bar (don't know a better name) and causes the bar to turn, due to the ratchet being held in the same direction by the top square portion of the clamp.
Hope that helps. Also I recommend buying 10 or so of the ratchets as they do wear out every 1000 or so rounds for me. They can be bought from lee for $0.50 each plus shipping last time I checked. It seems to help if I lube the action bar/ turret bar/ whatever you want to call it with some spare motor oil I had leftover.

Grumpa72
08-11-2014, 05:23 PM
silverado,
your description makes perfect mechanical sense. I am getting perhaps 1000-1500 rounds out of each ratchet (it still seems premature even though I only manually move the turret when the ram is at the top) so that sounds reasonable. I will try some very light lube and see if that makes any sense. Of course, I need to then worry about whether or not the plastic ratchet will break down with petroleum product contact.

Billybumbler
08-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Hi I also have a Classic Turret Press so I know what parts you are talking about. My first question is how much do you reload with that press? I must have reloaded 10K and havent had any equipment problems just operator errors. I did take the "square ratchet" out and checked for wear. It shows wear but seems to have some life yet. There is a lip on the bottom, at least that's the way it fell out (dirty little booger!).

Grumpa72
08-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Billy,
10K? Wow! As I said, I am getting less than 2000 per ratchet. When I first got the Lee CT, I did occasionally move the turret head by hand for various minor issues and never noted whether or not the ram was up (it is supposed to be I found out, before manually turning the turret). I wore out some ratchets quickly. I reload 6-7000 per year in the various usual handgun calibers and use up a few ratchets. I am guessing but I may really be getting more than 1500 but certainly not more than 2-2500 per ratchet. I also found out that the lip is supposed to be on the bottom but Lee instructions never tell you that.

The CT is a sturdy and reliable unit and this little plastic ratchet is the only thing that ever wears.

gtgeorge
08-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Wow guys, I have yet to replace one and couldn't tell you how many thousand rounds I have churned out. I do lube everything with dry lube though (finish line). I also went over everything taking off sharp edges and smoothing things out before I set it up.

celem
08-11-2014, 05:58 PM
I replaced mine after 5000 rounds but it didn't really look like it needed to be replaced. I have found that the press works much better in general, if I live it with a dry lube . I lubricate it after each loading session. This lube cleans and then leaves a dry lube in place. Makes the press work great. See the photo.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/12/a6usyrus.jpg

rollmyown
08-11-2014, 06:12 PM
After many thousands of rounds mine is still on it's first. I read somewhere short stroking the press chops these out.

Grumpa72
08-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Well, your comments tell me that once the friction is lost between the steel shaft and the square ratchet, it won't ride up into the detents. This ratchet has definitely lost the friction and drops down into the void when it should ride up. I will replace it with a spare, clean all of the moving surfaces, ram, turret, steel shaft, etc and then actually do a count and see how many I can make.

Thanks for the comments.

dabsond
08-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Just hit the rod with a polishing wheel. No need for lube. Dont short stroke and they last forever.

Vegas Vince
08-11-2014, 08:36 PM
I have several Lee presses. I save all worn & broken parts, send them to Lee, they will replace at no charge. It does pay to have several items that break on hand. It takes a 10 to 14 days to replace things.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
08-11-2014, 11:27 PM
There are several things, including polishing the worm rod/shaft, that will help. Adjusting the turrent advance also will help. If you will adjust your turret advance so that, when the turret does not have dies, that when operated slowly, the turret will just barely make it to the lock position, then, when you load the turret with dies, it will lock up solid. This helps you by allowing you to operate the press faster and have less of a tendency to short stroke, a major item in destruction of the plastic square. I had one for quite a while and never had the slightest amount of wear on the square. Another good idea is the dry lube mentioned above. Cleaning and polishing all moving parts and fine tuning any press helps a great deal with the wear and tear on any machine/press.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Grumpa72
08-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Vince, I have had zero breakage with my Lee CT but I would assume that a plastic-on-metal part is considered expendable. Nothing to send back to Lee.

Dave, I like the idea of polishing the rod and this was also suggested on another forum. I will do that. I put a new square ratchet on and it works just as it is supposed to do. Once I finish casting some more .45 230 grain bullets, I will commence reloading. I am keeping track of this ratchet to see what I actually get out of it.

Thanks to all your suggestions. I finally understand how this works.

hound13
08-12-2014, 08:32 PM
i got 2 presses like that i dont use the index rod i just move it by hand as im going through the motions it works for me >>>> hound13

brassrat
08-12-2014, 10:45 PM
My small press parts are brand new, after 4 yrs. I never used em.