PDA

View Full Version : Uncle's #4 Rolling Block Here

leadman
08-11-2014, 03:43 PM
I posted in my other thread on the value of my uncle's #4 RB but no looks probably because of the title.
It came in Friday and I am happy with the condition. Bore has a couple of small pits but otherwise shiny. Even has quite a bit of the original casehardening on the receiver. Stock was probably refinished some time in the past. It is chambered for 22 short, long, and LR. Made in 1933. Also pulled out some of my old 22 ammo and may shoot some of the standard velocity just to do it. 113255

John Allen
08-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Another Great gun on my wish list.

hightime
08-12-2014, 08:44 AM
That sure is nice. I don't no value, but I'll bet it's a bunch.

Owen

leadman
08-14-2014, 10:19 PM
I took the little gun to the range yesterday and other than the tiny sights the shooting went well. I am going to make another leaf for the rear sight with a peep hole in it. The leaf is screwed on so just have to change it and reinstall the screw, no permanent modification to the gun.
I'll post some of the better groups shot at 25 yards. I fired 5 shot groups of about 12 different 22s.[/ATTACH]113574113575113576

BCRider
08-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Now THAT is a great rifle! ! ! !

I'm assuming that "T.B." is your uncle's initials? It looks like the sort of thing a young lad would do back then to mark something as their own.

The groups aren't bad but since they are all so similar in size I'm thinking that the limiting factor is your eyes not taking to the tiny notches in the sights that well. I've got the same issue with a couple of early rimfire rifles. Apparently everyone back in those days had eagle eyes.... :D

leadman
09-05-2014, 10:27 PM
TB was my uncle's father. I know almost nothing about him but my aunt is going to help me there.
I had an extra tang sight off my Pedersoli RB in 40-65 and it mounted in the existing holes in the #4 tang. Remington used odd threads so I used smaller machine screws and a nut on them to avoid modifying the #4.
The tang sight made it much easier to shoot. Groups are now hovering around 1/2" at 25 yards. Had 3 shots go thru the same hole several times.

BCRider
09-06-2014, 01:27 PM
TB was my uncle's father....

Um.... doesn't this mean that TB was also your father's father? And thus your grandfather? Or is there some breaks in the lineage due to deaths or divorce? Or is your Aunt the sister of your father so your "uncle" was an uncle by marriage only? I'm guessing that this is the more likely situation.

Either way this rifle has some wider but deeper at the same time family connections. The value of it is becoming something far more than a simple dollar amount. The fact that it apparently shoots so well is a huge bonus.

I'm also still thinking that those initials were carved in by a youthful fella. Which makes this an even longer reach back through time.

Toymaker
09-07-2014, 09:35 AM
1933 is the year the Remington Rolling Block No. 4 was discontinued so it has a high serial number. The case hardening and bluing looks good but value would be between $500 and $800, probably on the lower end with the described bore and stock condition. The sentimental value is much higher. I'd keep it because it is an excellent rifle for teaching, with the added point that its accurate.

TCLouis
09-07-2014, 10:02 PM
leadman

That is a beautiful rifle. The kind of 22 I would be proud to own.

If the barrel is an issue one can always put a liner in it.

Looks like minute of squirrel as it is!

pietro
09-08-2014, 12:10 PM

IMHO those solid-frame #4 RB's are about the neatest of the miniature/Boy's rifles ever made.

My solid-frame #4 was a .32RF which I converted the breechbolt to CF, so I could shoot factory .32 Short Colt ammo in it. (Winchester makes a coulpe of runs of it, every year.)

It seems that, no matter how bad the bore looks from the BP rounds of the day, they still shoot good enough for Squill hunting, today.

Hooker53
09-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Very nice. Ya gotta love these old guns. I would rather have one like this then a new AR. Sorry AR fans. Lol. I would love to have a #2 roller in 32 RF or 38 RF. pref maybe a junker to reverb.

Hooker53.

leadman
09-10-2014, 01:55 AM
The gun was my uncle's by marriage to my dad's sister.

I was shooting Peters Target ammo in it a week ago and put 3 rounds in a row almost thru the same hole at 25 yards. Next time out I will move it down range and see what it will do.

The gun rivals my Contender 22LR match barrel and it wears a 7X scope. I do have to take it out for some squirrel hunting this fall. And some wrabbits!

Tom Herman
09-11-2014, 12:22 AM
A very nice gun! I have a similar one, with a serial number over 10,000 higher. No matter how you look at it, these guns were some kids' dreams during the Great Depression.... I haven't put mine on paper yet, but it does a good job at ventilating water filled aluminum cans at 50-75 feet...

BCRider
09-11-2014, 02:32 PM
The gun was my uncle's by marriage to my dad's sister.

I figured it was that. So now the two families have even a little broader tie together.

It's amazing how worn the bore can be and yet still shoot well. I've got a crusty old Crackshot 26 that shoots as well as I can hold it. If shot from bags I don't think it would match up but when used free standing I'm the limit on the accuracy. Even with being able to easily slip a bullet down the muzzle it and I can still make 2 1/2'ish inch groups at 20 to 25 yards with some care.

Seems like the only downside to a crusty looking .22 rimfire bore can be the ease of leading up if the wrong ammo is used.

6.5 mike
09-11-2014, 04:38 PM
I really enjoy the one I have along with a Favorite. Both are minute of tree rat. Just wish my eyes where, lol.

leadman
09-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Spoke with my Aunt on the phone a couple of days ago. She is going to send me his Mora hunting knife and write down some info on my Uncle's Dad. There aren't any gun people left on my Uncle's side so I will create a book to go with this gun for my boys after I am gone. I may get to teach my 8 year old granddaughter how to shoot with this gun. She is a tall girl with long arms so should be able to handle it ok.

bbqncigars
09-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Good for you. I hope the youngsters will appreciate it.