PDA

View Full Version : Lee bullet seating plug

trixter
08-11-2014, 02:59 PM
What should the (open-bullet end of the) seating plug look like? I have looked at it and there is just a straight sided hole, with no taper. That doesn't to seem to be right. Can you send me a photo of what yours looks like thanks.

trixter
08-12-2014, 09:08 AM
Could someone help me here? Please??

blikseme300
08-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Which die set are you asking about?

Handloader109
08-12-2014, 10:00 AM
In my 9mm it has a pretty good curve. In all honesty, for everything but the RN, it should be flat.

trixter
08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
I load Hornady V-MAX for my 223 bolt rifle, so I am looking at the seating stem/plug inside the bullet seating die (Lee). It seems to be a flat on one end, and a hole drilled in the other end. There is no taper to the hole, in other words , it is not shaped like the bullet nose at all; just a hole. There is no 'cup' shape. I'll try to get a photo of mine tonight. Thanks

Cowboy_Dan
08-12-2014, 04:37 PM
The one in my Lee 7.62x54mmR set is like that. There is just barely enough taper to notice, and if it were any smaller I don't think I could see it. But it's supposed to seat the bullet on the ogive, and it works great.

blikseme300
08-12-2014, 04:42 PM
I load Hornady V-MAX for my 223 bolt rifle, so I am looking at the seating stem/plug inside the bullet seating die (Lee). It seems to be a flat on one end, and a hole drilled in the other end. There is no taper to the hole, in other words , it is not shaped like the bullet nose at all; just a hole. There is no 'cup' shape. I'll try to get a photo of mine tonight. Thanks

The seater stem is machined to allow for different bullet shapes so it is at best a compromise. This is quite common practice by most reloading die manufacturers. The Hornady dies I use have a very similar seater stem to the Lee unit. What works is to fill the cavity in the stem with epoxy and shaping the cavity with the bullet of choice by raising a loaded cartridge into the seater. Some kind of release agent is used to coat the bullet to allow it to be extracted from the seater. Some oil in the die body will also be needed to prevent the seater plug from sticking to it.

trixter
08-14-2014, 02:01 PM
AGAIN, Please show me a photo of the bullet end of the seating plug, (Lee 223) PLEASE