PDA

View Full Version : Convert 35 Whelen to (sort of) 358 Win?

Elkins45
08-11-2014, 01:32 PM
I have a Savage style (Marlin XL-7) rifle that is wearing a 35 Whelen barrel. I wonder if there are enough threads forward that a fellow could just face off the barrel until the chamber is reduced to 358 Win length. I know the taper and shoulder are different, which is why I'm calling it a "sort of" 358 Win.

If the dies were faced off the same amount you could resize 308 brass to fit the new chamber. I will admit to being lazy and not looking at the actual case dimensions prior to asking the question in the hope that somebody has already tried it, or figured out why it won't work.

skeettx
08-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Gotta ask, what is wrong with the rifle in its present chambering?
Mike

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-xl7-xs7-boltaction-centerfire-rifles/31284-xl-7-35-whelen.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?48378-Marlin-XL-7-in-35-Whelen/page2

Elkins45
08-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Gotta ask, what is wrong with the rifle in its present chambering?
Mike

Not a darned thing. Since when do gun people refrain from messing with stuff that works?:mrgreen:

Thinking long term I have a better supply of 308 (7.62 surplus) than 30/06 to make cases with. But mostly I'm just asking questions out of idle curiosity.

M-Tecs
08-12-2014, 10:28 PM
I don't think it will work. The problem is you are taking off the back end of 06 length chamber but you are planning on using 308 brass so the head of the 308 brass would have to be sized to match (about .010"). Dies don't size the head and forces required would be significant. I would think the primer pocket would also shrink if you could size the head.

Elkins45
08-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Dies don't size the head and forces required would be significant. I would think the primer pocket would also shrink if you could size the head.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Mk42gunner
08-13-2014, 01:15 AM
I don't suppose the Marlin threads are the same as the Savage's are they?

I am not a fan of setting a barrel back, it leaves such an ugly gap.

Robert

Elkins45
08-13-2014, 06:58 AM
I don't suppose the Marlin threads are the same as the Savage's are they?

Yes the threads are the same. The only difference between the Marlin and Savage is that the Marlin has 0.015 more case head protrusion. I had to have that much faced off the Savage barrel in order for it to headspace on the Marlin.

Mk42gunner
08-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Well since the Savage barrels are somewhat useable; that gives you the option of finding one that will match your current profile in .358 Winchester, or whatever other caliber you desire with an '06 head size.

Robert

rockrat
08-17-2014, 09:56 AM
It might work. I think I remember an article a couple of decades ago, where someone did that with a 308 to make a poor mans 308 x 1.5" gun. Little extra needed to size the brass the first time, but the fellow was happy with the results.

If it doesn't work, you can always run a 35 whelen reamer back in and cut a new Whelen chamber.

Let us know how it turns out, if you do it.

Otherwise, cut the barrel back, run a 358 reamer in and make it a true 358 win.

Ben
08-17-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm with Rockrat.

Why not simply send the barreled action to a good gunsmith and have him set the barrel back ( and cut some more new threads if need be ) and chamber to a standardized cartridge like the 358 Win ?

If you ever had to sell the rifle, you'd be selling a rifle that shot a standardized SAAMI cartridge.

jason f
08-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I have a Savage style (Marlin XL-7) rifle that is wearing a 35 Whelen barrel. I wonder if there are enough threads forward that a fellow could just face off the barrel until the chamber is reduced to 358 Win length. I know the taper and shoulder are different, which is why I'm calling it a "sort of" 358 Win.

If the dies were faced off the same amount you could resize 308 brass to fit the new chamber. I will admit to being lazy and not looking at the actual case dimensions prior to asking the question in the hope that somebody has already tried it, or figured out why it won't work.

i like the way you think. i have a 35 whelen barrel with the whelen chamber cut down to 1.6" of it left and stubbed into a handi rifle. 35 whelen dies were cut down to match. barrel now has a rim cut and i use 445 sm brass with one pass through cut down whelen die. basicly a 357 b&d with 445 brass.

scattershot
08-20-2014, 10:32 AM
IIRC, someone at lne time made a chamber insert to convert 30/06 to shoot .308 ammo. Maybe someone does the same thing with .35 Whelen/.358 Winchester.

skeettx
08-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Great point
I would think that maybe if you sweet talked these fellas ........
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Larry Gibson
08-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Elkins45

You might consider the 35x57. Should be plenty of barrel threads for the set back and no rechambering would be needed. Cases are very easy to use and the standard 35 Whelen dies are easily modified.

Suggest youcheck out the 30 original 30x57 concept thread at; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?24903-30x57-amp-35x57 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?24903-30x57-amp-35x57)

The basicconcept was;

Based on a coupleposts I made in other threads several members have PM'd me for more info on thetwo cartridges I mentioned for cast bullets in Mauser rifles. These are the 30x57 andthe35x57. Both are made from 8x57 cases by simply FL sizing them in theshortened'06 or 35 Whelen die. They can also be formed from '06 or similarcases which allows customizing the case to fit the chamber.

These two cartridges have 5 major attributes;

First is the case is perfect for Mauser actions. The length is correct allowingfor heavier bullets to be used without seating them below the case necks. The casetaper is the Mauser taper that the magazine and feed rails are made for, hencethey feed slicker than the scum off a Louisiana swamp.

Second is case capacity; It is just slightly more than a .308/.358 Winchester sowith correct medium or slower burning powders loading density is close to100%when using medium and heavier cast bullets in the 2200+ velocity range.

Third is; The long '06 length neck. This allows most bullets to be seated to thebase of the neck and the lube grooves are covered. Also the longer neck givesadditional support to the bullet during initial acceleration.

Fourth is; the ease of which cases are made and the fact that regular dies are used.No special custom dies are required. I shorten the dies .288" for bothcartridges. With both the FL and seater shortened you are set to go. Though I'dalso use a shortened NS die.

The fifth attribute is in chambering; I shorten the dies and form 3 cases. Theseare used as headspace gauges. The barrel is then chambered using standard'06 or35 Whelen reamers. A tight neck match reamer for the '06 might be better thoughfor the 30x57. Both reamers are readily available to rent or buy so nocustom reamer is involved.

Larry Gibson

taco650
08-20-2014, 11:14 AM
I'll have to go with Larry's suggestion as the easiest option. I liked the 35Whelen for a long time but after spending time on this site and reading what others have to say, I find I have no practical use for the 35Whelen and would be better served by the 358Win. It's a more efficient cartridge and capable of taking all game in North America at ranges I would be willing to shoot them at. I also have that need to have something different than the norm so Larry's 35x57 option fills both needs. I have read the thread he refers to and I can't argue with the logic presented there.