PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 from 45acp

John Allen
08-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Ok, now my interest is totally peeked on this. what do I actually need to make the 45acp into 458 jacketed bullets? I figure I need to order dies off BT Sniper but do I need anything else? How about a core mold do these come from BT sniper or someone else.

Please let me know guys I am chomping at the bit to do this!!!!

Thanks John

skeettx
08-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Why would you use 45ACP when you can use a de-rimmed 44 Mag and have a 458 diameter already?
Yeah, I know they are not as plentiful, but less work and bigger bullets.

But you will need a draw die, a core mould or a cut die, a core swage die, a point forming die and proper lube. Many use a 44 Cal bullet mould for the core mould

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?154227-458-BTSniper-swage-die-in-the-works&highlight=
Mike

But to help, see here

http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=195.0

rockrat
08-11-2014, 02:16 PM
I am sure its because 45 acp brass is alot cheaper!!

John Allen
08-11-2014, 02:48 PM
oh boy, this could be as bad as my addiction to Thompson Center Contender barrels. I am waiting on a pm from BT Sniper right now.

BT Sniper
08-11-2014, 08:13 PM
45ACP works great for the .458 bullets. It is an easy draw down to size and can make very good bullets. With the 45 ACP jacket I recall I have made 458 bullet easily over 400 grains.

You can also use 40S&W brass or any other .473 based case (ie. 8mm berdian primed scrap brass). I wouldn't sacrifice 44rem brass but you could I suppose....

I'll get a PM reply to you soon.

BT

DDriller
08-13-2014, 11:17 PM
I got one of BT's .458 swage sets and the weights available to be made is awesome. I use both .40 S&W and .45 ACP brass. Get the crimp die and make Hornady XTP look a likes. Can be made easily with a cheap Lee press or a RCBS Rock Chucker.

John Allen
08-13-2014, 11:46 PM
How does the 40 sw brass work do they turn out ok?

just bill
08-14-2014, 01:05 AM
How does the 40 sw brass work do they turn out ok?
I got the same set up as DDriller. The .40' look great. What are you looking to make hollow points, or soft points. The full jacket BTX hollow point is one of the best bullets made, I don't remember the weight, but because of it's design it has kind of a boat tail, which should just help speed up a progressive reloaders.
There was a fellow who was trying to make 600 grain for his 45/70 but his die was to short. I'm making a little different bullet. My want is a 400gr jacketed hollow point as my benchmark and may go up and down from there, hoping to convert the left over brass to some type jackets. I'm using rifle brass.
Bill

John Allen
08-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Bill, I was looking at a 400 grain or so hollow point. So am I correct that you size the brass, inert the poured core and then crimp the case over to make the hollow point jacket? Is that the basic idea? Any help is appreciated. thanks John

tiger762
08-14-2014, 10:55 AM
In general, with swaging you're always bumping up to a larger diameter. Ideally, you would insert the core (loose) into the jacket, then with a punch and die you'd compress the core, which would cause the jacket to swell. Then when the pressure is relieved the jacket springs back to now tightly bond to the core. Lastly, whatever desired point form is then applied. The bullet will be at final diameter after the compression of the core. As an example, for making a 224, you'd compress a 0.191" diameter core inside the jacket and while the pressure is being applied you'd temporarily be up to 0.2245" from the 0.221" the jacket started at. When the pressure is removed, the jacket springs back to 0.224".

There are some who skip the core compression process and rely on a jacket that starts out at the finished diameter. Heck, with solder flux you could do that and pour molten lead into the jacket and have a chemical bond with the inside of the jacket. Then point form. I've never done that myself. I just stick with the process that is recommended by the die manufacturer.

shooterg
08-14-2014, 11:04 AM
So, how heavy a bullet could be made from .45 GAP brass ?

Intel6
08-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Like this?

Easy to do, just wait for Brain to hook you up.

I actually got his set to make .458" bullets for my .458 SOCOM but when I recently got a 45-70 I just added another cannelure to the bullets and loaded them up in the 45-70. I must have taken the pic with my camera at a weird angle because I looks like they are all leaning?

In the pic below L to R:

Speer 400 gr. JSP

LBT 405 gr. "M" bullet

405 gr. JSP from a .45 ACP case with dual cannelures

350 gr. JHP from a .45 ACP case with dual cannelures

325 gr. JHP from a .45 ACP case with dual cannelures

just bill
08-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Like this?

Easy to do, just wait for Brain to hook you up.

I actually got his set to make .458" bullets for my .458 SOCOM but when I recently got a 45-70 I just added another cannelure to the bullets and loaded them up in the 45-70. I must have taken the pic with my camera at a weird angle because I looks like they are all leaning?

In the pic below L to R:

Speer 400 gr. JSP

LBT 405 gr. "M" bullet

405 gr. JSP from a .45 ACP case with dual cannelures

350 gr. JHP from a .45 ACP case with dual cannelures

325 gr. JHP from a .45 ACP case with dual cannelures
Intel6 good to see you are still plugging away. A good assortment of Boolits you have there. I'm working on 400 grain jacketed hollow points based on BT's teasers he keeps showing. I started out trying 1.2" long .308 / 30-06 and any other "scrap.brass" in that family. I'm down to 1.1" or so which gives my longer scrap to experiment with jackets for .40 thru .458, maybe even .50 from 30-06 casings, no promises still trying to work out the finer points, BT has some bad ażż 50's from .45acp. if I remember correctly.
Bill

Intel6 PM sent.

just bill
08-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Bill, I was looking at a 400 grain or so hollow point. So am I correct that you size the brass, inert the poured core and then crimp the case over to make the hollow point jacket? Is that the basic idea? Any help is appreciated. thanks John

I m not up to bonding cores as of yet, tried one and got a very obnoxious smell that gave me sever coughing. I had ventilation. I am experimenting with both double cores and #7 shot to balance the weight. The military berdan primer .308's vary in weight to much for a constant core, therefore I've gone to exact length casings and balancing the cores, to the prescribed weight. No projectiles to show, yet, still on the learning curve.
Bill

just bill
08-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Oh yes two things I forgot, one: none of these things are original with me and two: all I've done is glean every thing from others on this site and a couple of Corbin's e-papers.
Bill