PDA

View Full Version : Yesterdays fun

country gent
08-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Went to a local BPCR shillouette match yesterday and had a ball. Loaded up 2 diffrent loads for the CPA rifle in 40-65. New load was the 400 grn Lymann Snoover/postel over 50.5 grns 2 f goex with a napa rubber fiber wad. Second was my normal load with 400 grn old west nasa bullet 53 grns 2f goex and same wad. I wanted to test the lyman bullet load as it perfomed good on paper at 200 yds. I started out with this load and while I only got 3 chickens offhand ( I have ms and shoot offhand sitting down from the waist up due to balance issues.) These we shoot at 100 yds. At 200 we shoot chickens from the sticks and 9 of them rang for me number 2 shot being the only miss just infront of the breast. 300 yds was the pigs again 9 hits number 3 being the miss. 400 yd turkeys things came apart ( literally) I made several windage corrections when I noticed that the back ring wiggled, the scope block mounts screws had lossened up. Only one turkey for the day ( Im normally 8-9 here). I cleraned the rifle good between strings and got 4 rams at 500 yds ( again Im normally 7-8 here). After the turkeys collapse I went to the "standard load" that I had zeros for. Even with the problems I had a ball and shot several "highs" for myself on individual stages So it was a great day with friends. Also had lunch after with friends so all was good. Im off to buy fresh locktite now.

bigted
08-14-2014, 08:00 PM
awsome. glad to hear someone is shooting. i have not gotten started here in my new surroundings yet. cant wait. my 40-65 is a original rem roller sporting rifle and i plan to install a scope on it ... just not sure yet what i want to put on it.

SharpsShooter
08-14-2014, 08:13 PM
That is just plain outstanding! It is always encouraging and heart warming to see how the shooting community reacts to individual with disabilities.

My hats off to you sir good job! Good shooting!

SS

country gent
08-14-2014, 08:51 PM
I have the MVA scope on mine Ibelieve its a model 4000 with the tall creedmore mounts on it. I have been very happy with it, today I ordered a second one for a "floater" between a couple other rifles I use. This one has the 4min ring reticle in it. The mounts are solid and repeatable front is windage adjustable also. They use the 3/8 unertal style vee blocks also so pretty easy to install. MIne is on a 30" barrel and its oblective is 2" or so behind the front sight. It is 6X so it conforms to NRA rules if that matters. I have 17" ring spacing so .010 per minute or point. I recomend them expensive but worth it.

country gent
08-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Also will be surprised if the blocks loosen up again. I cleaned everything up good with alchlol and let dry, lightly roughened seats in blocks and under side of screw heads making sure to get good mating surfaces. Recleaned with alchlol and with a tooth pick applied a very small drop of blue locktite to threads and under side of screw heads. So should now be ready to go.