PDA

View Full Version : Pc ?

tomme boy
08-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Has anyone been in contact with the manufacturers of the powder coat and talked to them about what we are doing and if they can be any help? I know they offer support to manufacturers in the industrial manufacturing sector. So maybe a phone call is needed.

prs
08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Great! Let us know what you are told.

prs

bangerjim
08-11-2014, 01:59 PM
What do you want to know?

Both ESPC and BBDT work flawlessly for me and countless others on here.

Smoke may be able to get answers if you will post your questions. He is not a mind reader but is in contact with a good powder supplier. All the ones I have contacted do not want to talk to "small pounders" like us.

List yer questions, pardner.

banger

tomme boy
08-11-2014, 02:14 PM
How to make a even coat on rifle bullets. By even I mean it cannot vary be more than 0.001" coverage. Winchester is doing this and making it work, but how.

Jupiter7
08-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Winchester doing what exactly? Moly coating?

i don't believe the molds we use and methods really lend themselves to extremes like that. After sizing, maybe we get even driving bands but none of our molds are "perfect" and by that I mean round. I don't think the hobby caster/coater has the means available for that precise control of the coating process or casting process. BUT, against all odds some of us do have very good results downrange. I've yet to put PC to the real test but have had some small wins with traditional lubed and checked bullets. Handgun accuracy is pretty much a moot point, I've never had a bad load per say.

bangerjim
08-11-2014, 06:12 PM
How to make a even coat on rifle bullets. By even I mean it cannot vary be more than 0.001" coverage. Winchester is doing this and making it work, but how.

Well, most industrial powder coating is used on lawn furniture, car/truck/motorcycle parts, tools, etc, and the evenness of the thickness at the tolerances your are dreaming about attaining are probably not critical to them. I know they do use electronic thickness gages to check random areas to meet specifications in the industry.

But that is why we size our boolits AFTER PC'ing.....to get the coating uniform. Unless you really slopped it on, it will be pretty uniform anyway. The laws of physics dictate that. All my ESPC boolits have perfect smooth, relatively even (to the naked eye) coatings. Now, BBDT can get away from you if you are not careful!

Have you done a cross-sectional measurement of those W boolits? Mabe the coating is not as uniform as you think? I have no idea how they do it. ESPC is the best way I know of to deposit a nominal even thickness of powder.

Let us know if you find out any news.

bangerjim

tomme boy
08-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Winchester has the Ballistic SilverTips in their Varmint calibers. It is a coated bullet. It is being done already. Someone just has to figure it out.

So here is a challenge to everyone here. Figure it out. I'm just trying to push you guys along. I don't have time for it right now.

Yodogsandman
08-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Isn't the Ballistic Silver Tip a coated "jacketed" bullet?

An electrostatic fluidizer bed puts an even coat on and tolerances can be controlled by the amount of time immersed in the charged powder. A conveyer can be run through it for production coating.

The challenge has been figured out by a few, just not many, myself included. PC isn't just for plinkering any more!

bangerjim
08-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Do a search for YouTube vids on home-brew fluidized bed stuff. Made with an aquarium pump and PVC fittings from HD or Lowe's.

Problem is you have to do one boolit at a time! The setup is made for painting some kind of fishing stuff. (I only fish at Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack!) It would be very VERY slow and time intensive. Preheated boolits probably. Still not guarantee it will be to the accuracy you are dreaming about.

Check it out.

banger

Handloader109
08-13-2014, 10:15 PM
I'm confused.......Figure what out? What on earth does 0.001 variance make for PCing? Not that our PCing varies by that amount. But again, what difference does it make. Most of our bullets vary that much out of round. And I know that there is variance when I cast due to the different raw materials. Even getting the lead from the same source there is significant variance in makeup and don't forget casting temp, drop temp etc. For that matter if you don't have the time, I don't know why I'm wasting mine to type this....... I think my PC'd bullets are the cat's meow.