PDA

View Full Version : H&R 44mag how's the recoil

s.billy
08-10-2014, 12:17 PM
My middle son is six this coming deer season and wants to go hunting. He has shot my oldest sons remington 700 in 243 and he said it hurt him which was about a year ago. I don't want to get him gun shy so that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure I want to do a 223 because it's a pretty small bullet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tackleberry41
08-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I bought a 44mag rossi single not long ago. Doesnt really have alot of recoil to it, even women will shoot it with no problems.

Nicholas
08-10-2014, 01:42 PM
A deer I shot with a 44mag rifle broadside through the lungs went at least 150 yds. A big buck my wife shot with a 223 rifle commercial brand 64 grain j-word designed for this purpose went all of about 20 feet. The bullet placement was similar to the 44 mag shot I made. Of course a single comparison is not scientific, but the 223 was definitely easy to shoot with minimal recoil. Knowing this gave the missus the confidence to make a difficult shot.

I assume your 6 year old will have done plenty of shooting with the chosen firearm before you take him deer hunting. I would consider that the most important thing to make sure the comfort level is there.

Finally, I do not understand the rush to get a little kid hunting big game. I think some dry runs for a couple of years with a parent to provide context and learn proper behavior and safety are beneficial. Such teaching can be concurrent with developing firearm and hunting skills throughout the year. This approach can develop a lifetime hunter.

Just my opinion, of course, and I am sure there are many valid reasons to the contrary.

Lonegun1894
08-10-2014, 06:14 PM
If you're anywhere near me maybe we can get together for your son to try mine. Recoil of this rifle is a joke to me, but I'm used to various other weapons, so maybe I'm a bit twisted.

rockrat
08-10-2014, 07:31 PM
To me its not bad, but your son might think differently. How about a 357 mag Handi? The 223 would work. I have heard WW 64gr sp bullets work well for deer, for those that use a 223

08-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Perceived recoil from a 6 year old is quite different recoil for you and me. A .44 mag with any kind of boolit / bullet is going to be daunting for him. I agree with the above that a proper .223 will be just fine and if he is a good shooter and has your support during the hunt, things should work out fine. I'd take close up shots only. If it's going to have a scope, make it as low a power as possible.

helice
08-10-2014, 08:40 PM
SBilly,
Like Tackleberry I have a Rossi single shot in 44 mag. The recoil can get stiff with heavy loads under heavy boolits (300+grains). The 44 mag can also digest the 44Special loads if you can find them. These are quite light.
Another thought is (as stated above) to try the .357 mag. I am very partial to the M-92 clones in this caliber and they have proven themselves capable on deer/pig sized targets. Their benefit is in the availability of stocks that can be had for jr. sized shooters. With a stock cut short enough to fit your young shooter recoil will be more manageable. Also the young (and some old guys like me) think these "cowboy" guns are really cool. These 92s can be had in 357 and/or 44 mag. Either caliber has the option of shooting a lighter load i.e. 38 or 44 Special for practice. Just my $0.02 worth. And speaking of $$$, the HandyRifles are cheaper. Another thought might be a 357 Handi now and bore out the chamber to 357 MAX later when the youngun gets bigger. The 357 MAX makes that into a much more powerful piece.
Any how, welcome aboard!
Karl

DeanWinchester
08-10-2014, 09:03 PM
I have one in .454 Casull and recoil is not abusive in the slightest. It's present, but not abusive. I can't imagine the 44 would be anything to worry about, even with higher end loads.

Goatwhiskers
08-10-2014, 09:39 PM
I would say whatever caliber you settle on, cut the stock down to fit the kid. A little guy trying to stretch around a full size stock gets the stuffins smacked out of him. Another thing that I taught my kids is that all guns have recoil, they kill on the front end, not the rear. Finally, nothing wrong with the .223 or a .357, just put in plenty of trigger time before season to teach him how to shoot correctly--besides, it's fun for both of you. GW

sawzall
08-10-2014, 10:28 PM
My 44 mag Handi is a pussycat. With factory American Eagle 240gr jhp it's less than my Savage .223. My wife has fibromyalgia and can't handle the 223 but can handle the 44 Handi.

williamwaco
08-10-2014, 10:40 PM
I think a six year old will find the .44Mag extremely unpleasant.

According to recoil charts, it is the same as the .243

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

longbow
08-11-2014, 12:10 AM
Not sure about the Handi rifle weight but I will tell you that my Marlin .44 mag can be punishing with heavy loads. It is a light little rile with a narrow buttstock and no recoil pad. I would figure the Rossi would weight about the same.

Of course there is nothing saying you have to use heavy loads. A moderate weight boolit with moderate powder charge should make things easier. As would a recoil pad if not present.

I have taken a liking to plinking with my Accurate #43-165B TC design at 165 grs. over fast shotgun powder. Very little recoil and that little boolit scoots right along. Probably a little light for deer though but a 200 to 220 gr. should do the trick ~ something about .44-40 ballistics.

My vote would go to the larger bore.

Longbow

Tackleberry41
08-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Somebody mentioned cutting the stock down for a smaller person. Rossi makes a youth model, and the LGS has a H&R stock in a package on the wall to convert a full sized rifle.

I know everybody perceives recoil different. I have fired a 243, and my Rossi in 44mag with regular store bought magnum loads in it is not as bad. It wouldn't be hard to put some weight inside the stock to reduce it more. And there is always a muzzle break, an H&R or Rossi barrel isnt hard to thread. They also have the slip on rubber recoil pads for a shotgun. I have a barrel in 45 colt for the rossi, and even running really hot 300gr bullets thru it, it isnt hard on the shoulder. As I said women who were not sure about shooting a 44 mag, were surprised at how easy it was to shoot.

bubba.50
08-11-2014, 12:40 PM
buy him a well fittin' bolt action .22 long rifle. take him with you & let him shoot at squirrels and such. don't worry about gettin' bambi while he's with ya, concentrate on makin' it fun for him. then in about 3 or 4 years worry about gettin' him used to somethin' big enough for shootin' a deer. luck & have a good'en to ya both, bubba.

Nicholas
08-11-2014, 02:00 PM
buy him a well fittin' bolt action .22 long rifle. take him with you & let him shoot at squirrels and such. don't worry about gettin' bambi while he's with ya, concentrate on makin' it fun for him. then in about 3 or 4 years worry about gettin' him used to somethin' big enough for shootin' a deer. luck & have a good'en to ya both, bubba.

This sounds like good common sense for getting a little kid involved. However, it might make deer hunting problematic. It is probably illegal in many venues, as well. But I agree that a few years observing a parent in the stand or blind is better than setting up a youngster for disappointment before they fully understand the game.

John Boy
08-11-2014, 02:24 PM
My middle son is six this coming deer season and wants to go huntingWhat State is a 6 year old allowed to buy a hunting license?

DeanWinchester
08-11-2014, 02:27 PM
What State is a 6 year old allowed to buy a hunting license?

"Allowed"? You mean "Required?" I ain't never heard of an age minimum so long as an adult is present.

troyboy
08-11-2014, 02:33 PM
There are youth stocks available for the Handi. They should fit him nicely.

troyboy
08-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Choate has them in stock. Less than 40$ with 11-3/4 length of pull.

BCRider
08-11-2014, 03:49 PM
The biggest issue I've seen with folks that get hurt by the recoil is improperly positioning the butt pad so that one corner digs in.

My advice to aid such folks of small stature is that I tell them to roll their upper body forward until they can feel the WHOLE FACE of the recoil pad and not only one spot. This often results in the oddest looking postures. But as long as they can feel contact with the whole face of the recoil pad none of them has been stung by the recoil.

And example was the two small Asian girls that returned to the rental range a couple of weeks after their first time ever shooting at all. Previously I'd talked them into shooting a 12ga 870 which they did using the above advice. When they came back it wasn't for the .22 pistol. It was for the 12ga.

I've also said the same thing to 12 year olds that wanted to shoot my Mosin Nagant. Again they came away with a smile despite the steel butt plate.

So perhaps have him try a rifle again with this advice. Don't worry about the rest of the body posture unless the recoil pad is way too low or high. Just tell him to position and lean in so he can feel full contact from top to bottom with the whole recoil pad.

Needless to say I wouldn't do this with a 300WinMag or anything similar.... :D

That being said if he's smaller in stature you may also need to get the shoulder stock cut down so he does not need to stand fully sideways to reach the fore stock. If his body is too side on then the recoil pad will slip off onto his upper arm when it fires. And that sort of skid ends up folding and pinching the skin underneath which leads to bad bruising and lots of "OW, OW, OW" sounds. The gun needs to be short enough that he can achieve the same sort of stand you do with your regular rifles. In the case of the two Asian girls I had to have them hold the shotgun right under the receiver loading area or they would have been too side on and the pad would have skidded sideways like that.

steve817
08-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Couldn't tell you about the H&R but my 92 Winchester put very large bruises on me after about a dozen shots.

s.billy
08-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Missori hunting law allows 6 years old only with a adult. My oldest has gone two years and I have not allowed him to take a shot because of different reasons from out of range to being busted. I would not let him take a shot I don't think is ethical. Thanks for the help

Jeffrey
08-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Barnes makes an X Bullet that is rated for deer size game. I believe Federal offers it in a loaded cartridge.

Jeffrey
08-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Correction Barnes is loading in their VOR TX line available now at Midway.

Mauser48
08-17-2014, 06:37 PM
Try 22-250. You can shoot the 64 grain soft points faster than 223 and still no recoil. Also perfect for varmints.

Weaponologist
08-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Lots of great advice here..I really can't add put one thing....<LimbSaver recoil pad>.... Those things really work great and you can pick one up at Wal-Mart for about 26 bucks...I've had mine every sense my favourite gun man Hickok45 said get one. and it is a must have whenever shotguns or big cal Rifles come out...lol...
As for Cal in a Rifle for little Man....any of those mentioned will work fine,,,223, 357, 44mag, ...Definitely don't turn your nose up at the 223 because I have seen many guys start there kids off hunting with one and you'll be surprised if you use a good hunting round. No cheap stuff for hunting and you'll be fine...

s.billy
08-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Went to acadamy last night and they had a h&r 223 new for $229 so got it I think I will load some with 60 grain nosler partitions so that way they don't explode when they hit bone. Thanks for all the info and help.