PDA

View Full Version : Surplus 9MM Brass With Plastic Inserts

MN91311
08-10-2014, 10:27 AM
I notice that in some auctions of fired brass being auctioned through GL, some of the 9mm has plastic inserts (white ) on the open end.
I never heard of this before. What are these used for, can they be removed ?
Is it a good standard, usable 9mm case undeneath the insert, when removed ?
They are boxer primed. from what I can see on the pics.
Anybody bid on and buy these things ?

Pablo 5959
08-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Adding pics would help with your question.
Pablo

Kilroy08
08-10-2014, 04:05 PM
They're probably for Simunitions. It's a force on force training tool that shoots paint rounds through a special drop in barrel that will not chamber real ammunition.

I've got a couple rounds of the stuff as curios in my cartridge collection. The brass is no good for live ammo, it's pretty much scrap brass.

Petrol & Powder
08-10-2014, 04:42 PM
They're probably for Simunitions. It's a force on force training tool that shoots paint rounds through a special drop in barrel that will not chamber real ammunition.

I've got a couple rounds of the stuff as curios in my cartridge collection. The brass is no good for live ammo, it's pretty much scrap brass.

/\ I concur
Probably reclaimed from a range used by law enforcement during training. The spent Simunitions rounds are collected along with the other spent brass.

Skunk1
08-10-2014, 06:44 PM
I have one in my odd ball collection also and was always curious of what it was.

VHoward
08-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Has anyone done a legnthwise cross sectional slice of one of those and a regular case and compared them? How do you know they are not appropriate for reloading for regular ammo?

MN91311
08-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Adding pics would help with your question.
Pablo

Yes, I went to the Government Liquidation website where I saw the auction, but I could not download the pics. The bidding on this group is not very high, so the inserts may be a turn-off for those in the know.

Mk42gunner
08-10-2014, 10:45 PM
Has anyone done a legnthwise cross sectional slice of one of those and a regular case and compared them? How do you know they are not appropriate for reloading for regular ammo?

On the Simunitions ammo that I remember a few different Seal Teams using the brass part was noticeably shorter than normal 9mm brass. As I recall it was even shorter than .380 brass, plus the plastic was crimped in.

Maybe it has changed, but if the brass was usable in a normal chamber that would tend to defeat the original purpose, i.e. semi-safe CQB training.

Robert

VHoward
08-10-2014, 11:53 PM
OK. The case is too short. That would make it unloadable. Thanks.