PDA

View Full Version : New Squirrel Gun

dagger dog
08-09-2014, 09:04 PM
113054 Newest addition to my single barrel shotgun accumulation, H&R Pardner, .410" bore, full choke, 25 1/2" barrel, she has the National Wild Turkey Foundation logo laser etched into the stock. Looks 99% but no box, fellow I got it from said it was a raffle gun.

Shotgun, 1 box 3" 1 box 2 1/2" shells and a gun sock, $ 160.00. Can't wait until Fri., our opener for the hunting season.

I can smell the squirrel with gravy and biscuits cooking !

Kevinakaq
08-09-2014, 09:28 PM
I can smell the squirrel with gravy and biscuits cooking !

It has been years since i have had squirrel and gravy...fond memories of dad cooking up some from my hunts in Kentucky. He is getting up in years and when i make a trip up to the family farmland this year i am going to insist he cook some up. Will take my 36 bp with me, which incidently was last fired for that very purpose on that same property some 15-20 years ago. Funny how time slips by. He cooked the 'tree rat' from that hunt as well in his simple travel trailer. Thanks for bring up the precious memories!

Enjoy that fine splatter gun and happy hunting to yas,
kevin

rking22
08-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Looks nice, I love those little 410s. Our season is still coupla weeks away, good luck. Pan fried squirrel with bisquits and gravey, mum mum good :)

John Allen
08-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I too am chomping at the bits for this season. I picked up a nice older Savage 24 22 lr over 410. Come on season lets go!!!

richhodg66
08-11-2014, 09:38 PM
I ended up with an old Iver Johnson Champion in .410, never had a .410 before. My uncle passed away, who was a lifelong bachelor and when we went through his stuff, we found it and no one knew the history of it, my dad, his brother, never saw it before.

It's a nice little gun, I need to get it out and shoot it. Seems .410 ammo is kinda pricy, but at least it's available locally.

GoodOlBoy
08-11-2014, 10:16 PM
I love single shot H&Rs for squirrel. I have had my 20 gauge since I was a kid. Can't have a better time in the woods.

GoodOlBoy

smoked turkey
08-11-2014, 11:24 PM
My first long gun that I remember was a Mossberg .410 bolt action. I thought that was probably the most powerful shotgun on the planet. I had a lot of fun and killed quite a few rabbits and squirrel with it. You know how things go. I let it get away somewhere along the way. I saw one a while back at my BIL and as luck would have it I got a BIL deal on it! No..I really did. I have hit the squirrel woods with it and it is pure fun. Thanks for posting this thread which allowed me to relive some good memories.

John Allen
08-12-2014, 08:50 PM
I too had a mossberg 410 bolt action it was a great little gun. I wish I never sold it.

jwber
08-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Nice looking gun. I'll be out in the woods in a month with my 10/22.

I really would like a lightweight shotgun though..all I've got is my 500 in 12g

rking22
08-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Long as were talking about 410s and lightweight shotguns. You who have an Academy sports nearby need to watch the sale fliers for a Yildiz 410 single barrel. Little thing weighs 3.3 lbs with a 28 inch barrel and is adult size in stock diminenions but the frame is TINY like the old prewar 410 singles. I have a ball with mine, it folds in half and lives under the truck back seat. It points well and I can break most all the skeet singles with it if I don't goof up! It's a ball to squirrel hunt with I use it for doves and rabbits on occasion. Nice thing is 125$ price tag! I own and like Handis but the fit and finish on this thing is head and shoulders above them.
Anyone who likes little walk around guns would love it. I had a mossburg bolt 410 also at a young age, lost it to a fire and this thread has me thinking to replace it. I remember the first hunt with Dad and that gun like it was yesterday.
I generally squirrel hunt with a 22 of some sort, but every year I take a 410 a few days "just cause".

Mk42gunner
08-13-2014, 12:42 AM
An H&R Model 58 in .410 is what got me into reloading. I shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits with mine, along with several dove and quail.

Robert