PDA

View Full Version : CPA Stevens 44-1/2 Barrel and Block exchange.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
I am the proud owner of a beautiful CPA rifle with a 3 barrel set. Before I screw anything up could someone please give me a run down on how to exchange the barrels and block. I tried google and YouTube searches but was unable to find the help I need.

M-Tecs
08-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Why not just call them .

http://www.singleshotrifles.com/faq.htm

How do the interchangeable barrels work?The barrels are fully threaded and fit hand-tight. There is a large set screw which goes through the bottom of the frame and the tapered and of the set screw fits in a tapered recess in the barrel shank. When the set screw is tightened with the provided wrench, the barrel will adjust to zero if needed. Barrel schematic is available here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/BblShank.html).

country gent
08-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Give CPA a call and talk to them, they will give you the information you need They are great people to work with.

john hayslip
08-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Frank De Haas's book "Single Shot Rifles" would be an excellent source on both the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks I had sort of assumed being a Saturday and all nobody would answer. I checked the website and removed the set screw and block but my barrel is very tight and cannot be removed by hand. Unless I am doing it wrong.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Frank De Haas's book "Single Shot Rifles" would be an excellent source on both the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2.

Dang I have that book and didn't even think about it till now.

country gent
08-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Fouling and crud works up into the threads also if no grease or oil was used when installed it coud be rusted some. What countour is your barrel? If possible remove the fore end and get ahold of the barrel in a padded vise and try turning the barrel free with the buttstock. Otherwise a wrench will need to be padded up to grip the barrel.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Fouling and crud works up into the threads also if no grease or oil was used when installed it coud be rusted some. What countour is your barrel? If possible remove the fore end and get ahold of the barrel in a padded vise and try turning the barrel free with the buttstock. Otherwise a wrench will need to be padded up to grip the barrel.

I clamped the barrel and tried twisting the frame off by hand. No luck. Perhaps a penetrating oil?

Gunlaker
08-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but is the extractor pulled back all the way? You won't be able to rotate the barrel unless it is.

Respectfully, Chris.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but is the extractor pulled back all the way? You won't be able to rotate the barrel unless it is.

Respectfully, Chris.

Yes block and extractor are completely removed.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Well I got the barrel off. It required a padded vice and padded wrench but it is off. Unfortunately when I tried to screw on the other barrel I found it was going to take a lot more than hand tightening to get the barrel into alignment. I already had planned on send the rifle into CPA to be restocked. I'll have them once over the action and see what is up.

Gunlaker
08-09-2014, 04:30 PM
That is definitely odd given that it was a switch barrel setup. I know that some people order them with the barrels torqued on, but it wouldn't make sense if there was more than one barrel.

On mine they fit perfectly hand tight, although when I first got mine, one of the barrels wouldn't index properly. The wood on the forearm was preventing it from tightening fully.

Chris.

Tatume
08-09-2014, 06:58 PM
There is a CPA owners manual. Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

To remove the barrel you must open the action, and loosen the screw on the bottom of the action. The barrel will then screw off. The details are in the manual, which I'll send you as soon as I have your email address.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-09-2014, 07:43 PM
There is a CPA owners manual. Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy.

To remove the barrel you must open the action, and loosen the screw on the bottom of the action. The barrel will then screw off. The details are in the manual, which I'll send you as soon as I have your email address.

PM sent with my email.

The bolt and set screw where completely removed and it still took a lot of torque.

Tatume
08-09-2014, 09:27 PM
When you put it back together use a dab of Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant on the threads. The barrel is installed hand tight, and the screw turns it the last teensy weensy bit, if needed. It should be fairly easy to turn it back out, if the threads are not dry or corroded.

Tatume
08-09-2014, 09:28 PM
PM sent with my email.

The bolt and set screw where completely removed and it still took a lot of torque.

The manual was sent via email.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-21-2014, 07:57 AM
UPDATE: I sent the entire rifle back to CPA for a once over. Gail informed me that the barrels while they are their barrels weren't fitted to that action by them. In fact whoever did acquire the barrels didn't seem to fit them at all.

kokomokid
08-21-2014, 01:04 PM
I think that you have to send the action in to have a new barrel fitted. My understanding is each barrel ( or bbl sets) and action are custom fitted. LB

2ndAmendmentNut
08-24-2014, 08:49 AM
I think that you have to send the action in to have a new barrel fitted. My understanding is each barrel ( or bbl sets) and action are custom fitted. LB

That is correct and also what I was lead to believe when I purchased the rifle.