PDA

View Full Version : Herter's 234 supper press!

Freightman
08-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Thought I would post some after pictures of the old press after i cleaned it and painted it.

Safeshot
08-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Looks great. Nice work. That is one nice Turret Press.

fishhawk
08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
OK guess I don't know this, was there a press maker called Hertners or do you mean Herters? Not trying to be a know it all but I never heard of that brand. steve k

MT Chambers
08-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Herter's super duper, "best press ever made" model.

clodhopper
08-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Everything Herter's made was the best ever, If you don't belive it just read the instruction sheet that came with it!
I have one of those laying on the floor in the garage, it would look much better cleaned up and painted.
To fit it in the reloading room who has to go? the dillon 650? the corbin series II? RCE walnuthill? Rockchucker? little RCBS? Something indicates the Herter's will collect more dust.

srtolly
08-08-2014, 11:49 PM
There is a Herter's show and swap meet on the 22nd and 23rd of this month in Waseca, Minnesota if anyone is interested, I'll be there.

Kskybroom
08-09-2014, 12:16 AM
.....Model Perfect....

Reg
08-09-2014, 09:09 AM
There is a Herter's show and swap meet on the 22nd and 23rd of this month in Waseca, Minnesota if anyone is interested, I'll be there.

Darn, wish I wasn't so far away. That would be fun to attend.

srtolly
08-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Darn, wish I wasn't so far away. That would be fun to attend.
I'll be thinking about ya.

Garyshome
08-09-2014, 12:43 PM
It'll be cold up there by that time!

srtolly
08-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Lived here most of my life, if we're lucky highs will be cooled down to the 70s.

Dan Cash
08-09-2014, 01:43 PM
Everything Herter's made was the best ever, If you don't belive it just read the instruction sheet that came with it!
I have one of those laying on the floor in the garage, it would look much better cleaned up and painted.
To fit it in the reloading room who has to go? the dillon 650? the corbin series II? RCE walnuthill? Rockchucker? little RCBS? Something indicates the Herter's will collect more dust.

If the ram is tight, we could put it in my reloading room. Would it take a lot of money to make that happen?

Reg
08-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Good looking old press and they work too !!!
Have one in mint condition and just leave it set up for the .401 Herter Power Mag, complete with a Herter powder measure. Herter dies, naturally.

Mine is mint except the black plastic handle coverings ( sleeves- whatever ) split and fell off many years ago. Anyone have a idea where replacements may be found ? They don't have to match perfectly, just come close. The shaft size is 1/2". dia.

srtolly, could you post a few pictures and some information on the show ? Would make interesting reading.
Have been a Herters fan since 1962.

srtolly
08-10-2014, 10:25 AM
You bet, pictures will be coming. I've been wanting to get a .401 powermag ever since I shot a friends but they are scarce even in the land of Herters.

Reg
08-10-2014, 11:23 AM
You bet, pictures will be coming. I've been wanting to get a .401 powermag ever since I shot a friends but they are scarce even in the land of Herters.

I think they are scarce everywhere but one does come up from time to time. What is really amazing is the prices they go for. Old George L. would really be surprised. 400.00 is not uncommon.

Someone mentioned that they were going to write a book about Herters a few years back. Guess it never happened but if it did, sure would like to find a copy. Have heard many stories of what happened to the company, little of it good in it's final days. A shame really.

srtolly
08-10-2014, 11:26 AM
If there is a book on Herter's it'll be there. I'll talk to some of the old timers around here and see what I can find out about the final days.

08-10-2014, 11:31 AM
reg,
No clue, but if you really want a handle end, would a bicycle grip suffice?

kopperl
08-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Started with Herters long time ago. My Dad and I would read the catalog just to laugh at the descriptions. But the stuff did perform.

Reg
08-10-2014, 12:09 PM
reg,
No clue, but if you really want a handle end, would a bicycle grip suffice?

I think one would work just fine but the ones I have measured are bigger, 5/8" being about the smallest I have seen, most even bigger and now about all are metric.
I seem to remember that a lot of the kids toys, etc. back in the 50's and 60's had these smaller dia. plastic grips on them. Has to be something out there but like many things it will take some looking unless one just stumbles across them.

Please do see if anyone knows about such a book. I have talked with several of the employees who worked for the company at the end and a few who worked with them in the haydays.
Great company with a excentric owner but a good man who really was far ahead of his times in many ways. George is always being blasted for being a P.T. Barnum approach to advertising but really, have you looked a a Cabella's sales flyer or even Bass Pro. More subtle perhaps but just as full of it. Besides, I always did like the "brass band " approach !!!!!!

BruceB
08-10-2014, 12:44 PM
For comfortable replacement "handle ends", try a HARD rubber ball of suitable size. India rubber, or a raquet-ball, or whatever.

Drill a hole in the ball, of a diameter slightly less than that of the handle. Run the hole almost completely through the ball, and then drive the ball onto the handle.

I used plastic electrician's tape liberally, to ensure the ball will not come off or move around.

The ball installed on my Lyman All-American has stayed put for many thousands of rounds, and it's far more comfortable in use than the former bicycle-type grip.

Reg
08-10-2014, 01:33 PM
For comfortable replacement "handle ends", try a HARD rubber ball of suitable size. India rubber, or a raquet-ball, or whatever.

Drill a hole in the ball, of a diameter slightly less than that of the handle. Run the hole almost completely through the ball, and then drive the ball onto the handle.

I used plastic electrician's tape liberally, to ensure the ball will not come off or move around.

The ball installed on my Lyman All-American has stayed put for many thousands of rounds, and it's far more comfortable in use than the former bicycle-type grip.

Right you are, did the same thing on a Lee press some time ago and not only did it work it was much more comfortable than the wooden ball the factory put on.
On this press, being what it is I would like to try to keep it as original as possible is why I am looking for some kind of original looking "bicycle handlebar" type grip in black.

Thanks
Reg

Freightman
08-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Forgot to add I got it for $50

Green Frog
08-10-2014, 03:52 PM
It might be sacrilege now to the collector class (now that the collector class has discovered Herter's) but a somewhat popular modification to that press back in the day was to drill 6 more holes so you could mount a whole collection of dies, suitably adjusted, at the same time, and just dial in whatever you needed. What a concept! :mrgreen:

Froggie

MN91311
08-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Last year I answered an ad locally for two reloading presses. A Herters turret press and another press marked Ch, the man said on the phone. Not knowing about the Ch, I went there and found out it was a Ch Champion O frame press, built like a rock chucker, or maybe better, stronger.

The Herters press was way bigger and heavier than I imagined, and it came with one shellholder, a primer arm, an adapter to use universal shellholders, a beat up Herters powder measure, and some misc. parts.

Each press was all I could carry with one hand. Both in vg functional condition, except for the main pivot pin at the bottom of the Herters. That was not a good fit. Anyone know where I can get a proper replacement for that pin ?

Oh, I almost forgot. The price for both was $75.

Jtarm
08-12-2014, 08:26 PM
OK guess I don't know this, was there a press maker called Hertners or do you mean Herters? Not trying to be a know it all but I never heard of that brand. steve k

That's a Herters alright, but where's "supper?"