PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Center Molds

1989toddm
08-08-2014, 04:16 PM
I acquired 2 molds the other day, my research has turned up they are Thompson Center mold blocks. I'm wondering what they are worth and does anyone have information on these molds from experience? See pictures below.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/y3e3ugeb.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/e9azyhep.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/ysezehe2.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/atuhebum.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/2y5aruse.jpg

Thanks!

fouronesix
08-08-2014, 04:57 PM
I have some TC molds from the early 70s. They seem to work well but take a little getting used to because they are relatively small and of aluminum. Once learned, they work well.

The value is up to the buyer. They don't have much stand alone "collectible" value but the ones you have appear to be for the Maxi Hunter type bullet. They would appeal to those who shoot that type bullet. The Maxi Hunter style came much later than the original Maxi Ball conical- maybe to compete with the Lee REAL and Lyman's versions along with the Buffalo conical. Since traditional muzzleloader stuff from TC is kapoot and no longer part of TC's (S&W) interest or production, the "value" of such a mold may be better?

koger
08-08-2014, 09:22 PM
I have the .50 and .54 as above, usually retail in the shape yours appear to be, very good, for $40 give or take.

Hanshi
08-09-2014, 03:00 PM
I have a .36 round ball T/C mold I bought years back. It's made from aluminum and casts excellent ball. Only thing I don't like is the overly large (to me) sprue. I prefer Lee molds because they don't leave sprues. I tumble them and it tamps down the sprues a bit. As long as I center the sprue up accuracy is excellent.

triggerhappy243
08-09-2014, 07:56 PM
I used to have one in 50 cal. I did not keep it very long. Soo much load experimentation, it was mind boggling. That one for sure you must use absolutely pure lead if you want accuracy.

1989toddm
08-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys for the input! Someday I might get another smokepole. Glad to know they are good boolits.

quilbilly
08-12-2014, 01:13 PM
I have T/C round ball molds in both 50 and 45 plus maxi in 50. Both my Cherokee and Seneca rifles have only seemed to like the RB from the 45 T/C molds (RB's drop at .434).

triggerhappy243
08-12-2014, 08:29 PM
quilbilly, are you lubing both lube grooves?

quilbilly
08-12-2014, 11:51 PM
I haven't used the maxi's in many years but when I did, I lubed both. Now I use either PRB for deer or sabots for elk because both give a good tight seal against moisture that is so prevalent in Western Washington during the "monsoon season" (I have been known to ML hunt all day and afterward the rain gauge read 7 inches but the rifle still went bang just fine). Probably not so important in Albuquerque's climate. One of these days I will dig those T/C maxi ball molds out and put them on the Swap/sell thread.

triggerhappy243
08-12-2014, 11:54 PM
I lube only the lower groove and get great accuracy. a small party balloon over the muzzle keeps the water out too.

quilbilly
08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
I lube only the lower groove and get great accuracy. a small party balloon over the muzzle keeps the water out too.
I noticed that while the balloon worked, I was getting a ring of rust around the end of the bore after only a few hours out in the rain. Switching to my "stainless" T/C Greyhawk as my foul weather muzzleloader solved a lot of those issues too.

Hanshi
08-13-2014, 01:52 PM
The target below was shot with my flint SMR using ball from my T/C mold. The two shots on the left were from another shooter and the one on the right was a prior shot. 3/4" for 5 shots with 30 grains of 3F. It was fired from a sitting position with no arm support except my knees. No! I can't do it now.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/e5c0669f-5475-48fa-8cc6-e37805917df2_zps25f8b296.jpg (http://s599.photobucket.com/user/hanshi_photo/media/e5c0669f-5475-48fa-8cc6-e37805917df2_zps25f8b296.jpg.html)

koger
08-13-2014, 08:06 PM
I have taken 46 deer with these molds you posted about, reason why I just traded you out of them for some young kids I work with in 4H! I use 90-98 gr2ffg for the .50, with fiber wad or piece of hornets nest under the slug and 110 under the .54, with fiber wad or hornets nest. Both bullets would shoot MOA at 100yds on scoped ML's, TC hawkens and renegades, both glass bedded. I never had any issues shooting them by themselves, most folks just don't shoot their ML's enough to get good at it.

hornady308
08-15-2014, 02:01 AM
I have the molds and regularly shoot .45, .50 and .54 maxi balls and have always wanted to try the maxi hunters. But, I've heard many times that the hunters are less accurate for some unknown reason. Do you guys agree/disagree?

triggerhappy243
08-15-2014, 02:41 AM
now me personally, I like to keep it simple. I shoot one type of bullet with one set charge... no matter what, for each muzzleloader I own. I practice to hunt and hunt to practice... if that makes any sense. I tried the maxi-hunter in my 50 and it was not as accurate. tried different powder combos, nothing made it any better. so I sold it and now shoot what is most accurate. the maxi-ball. I only lube the lower lube groove. lubing both destroys the accuracy. WHY FIGHT IT ??? If I cant hit what I am aiming at with a hunting load or target load, I am not going to wound and lose a deer or an elk. just not fair. If one can get the maxi-hunter slug to group good enough to hunt with, then lock and load.

P.S. I shoot all Iron sights. Scopes are another ball game.

Maven
08-18-2014, 04:39 PM
I have the molds and regularly shoot .45, .50 and .54 maxi balls and have always wanted to try the maxi hunters. But, I've heard many times that the hunters are less accurate for some unknown reason. Do you guys agree/disagree?

The .50cal. ones weren't nearly as accurate as either home cast T/C Maxi-Balls or saboted Lyman or RCBS Keith CB's in my inline. In short I was highly disappointed with them.

fouronesix
08-18-2014, 11:47 PM

Well, in a standard TC 48" twist, my experience is that solid base conicals like the Lee REAL, TC Maxi Ball, TC Maxi Hunter shoot best in the 50 and 54 calibers. Never could get any of the solid base conicals to shoot very well in 45 cal, 48" twist with the Lee 45 cal Improved Minié being the worst of all conicals in the 45.

Additionally and limiting the calibers to 50 and 54, the worst shooting solid base conical I tried was the Lyman Great Plains. Also disappointing were the TC Maxi Hunter and the Lee REALs. The Lyman Great Plains yielded some of the worst leading I've ever had in a ML. The best solid base conical in 50 and 54 cal, 48" twist rifles has been the original Maxi Ball with a fiber base wad- with medium stiff load. The best Minié conical in 54 cal, 48" twist rifle has been the Lyman Minié with light to moderate load.

Why all that worked out the way it did. I have no idea- especially why the TC Maxi Hunter didn't do better? BTW, I never have gotten the Lee Improved Minié to shoot well in any rifle or musket- no matter the caliber or twist, paper patched or bare.