PDA

View Full Version : Boyd Krag stock issue

webradbury
08-08-2014, 08:34 AM
I hope this is the correct place to post this.

I have been working on a Krag project using a new Boyd full length krag stock and found yesterday that the forend is about 1/2" off center to the left. I put the barreled action in the stock for the first time and found this. I can push the forend over with finger pressure and align it with the barrel and the end barrel band will hold the stock in this position, however, I don't like it. It just bothers me knowing it is under tension. I'm sure if I built it like this and let it ride, over time the stock would be trained into this new posture or at least that's my theory. It might split wide open for all I know!

I know replacement forends are available to repair sporterized stocks and this may be an option if I can't get mine to work.

Any thoughts? How is the best/strongest way to join a new forend to a stock? I'm thinking a dowel glued under and perpendicular to the barrel channel to pin the two parts together. Thanks in advance. Will

gnoahhh
08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Yikes! I wouldn't trust such tension to not affect accuracy but I would also try it first before condemning it (because you never know for sure- but I wouldn't bet on it). Scabbing a new forend on is a viable option in any event. Make the cut under the rear band and stick a couple small dowels into the joint (or better yet mill/route a slot in the barrel channel that spans both pieces and epoxy a chunk of wood into it). I wouldn't hope for the present forend to "take a set" in an un-warped position over time, at least during your lifetime, without perhaps some artful steam bending.

Have you taken it up with Boyd's? Perhaps they'll front you a new forend off a scrap stock they wouldn't have any other use for?

webradbury
08-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Well i have been working with it today and have got the fit much better. I guess I should have done this before complaining. I took a tiny bit more wood out of certain spots and worked it in. There is still about an 1/8 to 3/16" of pull to the left. Maybe closer to an 1/8"...I think I can live with it. I'm going to finish it and see what happens. I took some pics of this and will try to post later. I also noticed that the barrel channel, for a good portion of it, is not straight on either side. I don't see it affecting anything other than aesthetics but I will have to fix it as the gaps show down the barrel and I want it flush with the barrel. I will cut a couple of 1/8" thick walnut strips and glue them down the sides of the barrel channel and reshape. Then on to the rear of the receiver which needs more wood all the way around to get a tight metal to wood fit. That should be a real PITA. But I didn't expect a perfect fit right out of the box. Later

gnoahhh
08-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I think you'll find that the gun will behave best if free floated the length of the fore arm, with about 5 pounds of upward pressure out at the very end when the upper band is installed.