PDA

View Full Version : Mpmolds h&g 503 clone

Tom_in_AZ
08-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Love this mold! As always, a beautiful mold that drops great bullets.

Lubed with randyrat's tac x. See my review of it in the boolit lube forum if interested.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/a5agygej.jpg

My rig in a mesquite. The first 4 aren't cast ;)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/nybypunu.jpg

Tatume
08-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Yes, they are very nice bullets. The nose profile is interesting.

captaint
08-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Very nice boolits. I have had that mold for a while, but never cast the solids. Neat look. I'll have to try some of them next time. Great job. Love the holster and belt. Mike

Shuz
08-08-2014, 10:22 AM
What flavour Ruger sits in that thar holster?

MtGun44
08-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Wonderful, high quality copy of the design that Elmer approved of the most.
Nose profile was found by Elmer to permit accuracy to stay out to 500+ yards
out of a souped up .44 Spl. I have the mold and enjoy it, great casting tool,
like all my MP molds.

Bill

Tom_in_AZ
08-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Ruger 4.62" stainless super blackhawk in .44 mag

W.R.Buchanan
08-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Yes I have the mould also and it is the best one I have ever used. Mine has the Pentagonal HP Pins as well as small large round HP's I see no need for both so I will probably cut the points off the Small Pins and make Plug Pins to cast solids so I can lay the mould flat When preheating. I have always used the HP pins turned over for solids and the pins sticking out are kind of a PITA.

Soon there will be a MP 429244 mould to join it, set up for solids and HP's from the source.

He does really nice work.

Randy

white eagle
08-08-2014, 09:46 PM
I have the same mold and agree with all of you a very nice mold
could only find the plain nose so I sent it of to Erik for hp work
I got two cav's on my 4 cav mold modified with a round pin that is 1/3 the depth of the nose and another with a shallow depth maybe an 1/8" so I get 2 hp's and 2 non-hp perfect as far as I can tell

Tom_in_AZ
08-09-2014, 12:49 AM
My mold has large and small hollow point pins as well as pentagonal, but I prefer a wife meplat bullet to hollow points.

Shuz
08-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Anybody ever run some accuracy tests with one style of pin vs the others? I have all three styles of pins with my MP 431-256HP mould and "it seems to me" that I get slightly better accuracy with the smallish hp pins.

Tom_in_AZ
12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Anybody ever run some accuracy tests with one style of pin vs the others? I have all three styles of pins with my MP 431-256HP mould and "it seems to me" that I get slightly better accuracy with the smallish hp pins.

Have never tried. I would assume there wouldn't be much difference for someone of my skill level with a handgun, but I don't know.

Shuz
12-10-2014, 08:59 PM
This winter I'll cast up some using the 3 pin styles and using the same alloy to see if there is any noticeable difference in accuracy. I doubt that there is. It's a well known fact that the most important part of any cast boolit is the base. As long as all the bases are close to perfect, they should all shoot the same. Strange things happen tho, many of us have tried the Lyman 429360 design and even modified it somewhat, and it still doesn't shoot well. At least that was my experience, and I dumped mine to some other person who loves to experiment just as I do.

Tom_in_AZ
12-11-2014, 04:40 AM
Shuz, sounds like a neat experiment. Let us know what your results are!

Forrest r
12-11-2014, 08:36 AM
At close ranges and slower speeds the different hp's don't seem to matter. I have an old beater 629 classic that I use for plinking. It has a tasco pro-point reddot scope on it. I switched the reddot over to a 4x scope and did a bunch of test loads this summer looking for plinking/range fodder with a combo of 10 different powders and 4 different boolits, the 503 clone being 1 of them.

I loaded up a bunch (random hp's) of 503's & a known performer, clay's powder. Set a couple of targets up @ 25yds and got the 629 on paper. This is what I ended up with:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/503clone_zpsf918354e.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/503clone_zpsf918354e.jpg.html)

The target on the right was the final adjustments with the scope, shot 3 shots & adjusted the scope to the right & shot 3 more. I never set a scope up to hit my aiming point when testing loads. The group (bughole & a flier) on the left target was the test target after I got done adjusting the scope.

That group was shot with a random mix of small hp's, large round hp's & penta point hp's for boolits & the same powder charge for all of them. I'm sure the different hp's will make a difference in accuracy @ some point but so far it doesn't seem to matter @ 25yds or closer.