PDA

View Full Version : Kroil

salpal48
08-07-2014, 10:41 PM
I did not know where to post this thread but since i feel it is an essential part of a handloading bench . I posted it here. I recently ran out of my small cans . and Found my supplier no longer stocks it. I decided to go directly to Kano to purchase. . I purchased a gallon of Kroil with silicone. This stuff is fantastic. The manufacture offers a Free can of any there products with any purchase . so I chose PENNFLITE ( kroil with grafhite). I tried this on some die lock screw and threads . another great product. Has anyone used any of there other products with good results
I noticed they make other .
Any Feedback
Sal

stu1ritter
08-08-2014, 09:47 PM
As a Mercedes mechanic I have used Kroil, SiliKroil and Penefite since 1970. I learned about Kroil from a guy who restored steam locomotives. The stuff just works.
Stu

Bayou52
08-08-2014, 11:13 PM
I just bought my first can of Kroil directly from Kano. Haven't used it yet, so I'll read about other's experiences on this thread....

Bayou52

bobby65
08-08-2014, 11:59 PM
I just bought some tonight after reading about it on another thread with a google link

Bzcraig
08-09-2014, 12:13 AM
Besides working I really like the smell. Every time I smell it it reminds me off sitting at the bench and reloading.

bbqncigars
08-09-2014, 02:55 AM
Kroil belongs in every shop. It's the only thing that can get some rusted parts free. It's also a danged good bore cleaner.

seagiant
08-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi,
"We need some of that creeker (creeper) oil!!!

A QMED I worked with from Philly!

The oil that "creeps!"

1Shirt
08-09-2014, 10:51 AM
It's good stuff 99!
1Shirt!

Pressman
08-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Check Brownells, they carried the small cans when I was there.
Ken

John Allen
08-09-2014, 03:59 PM
I have been using it for years on anything rusty. I also wipe my guns down with. I love the smell as much as my hoppes #9 for cleaning.

Adk Mike
08-09-2014, 04:00 PM
I buy it by the gallon. Keep a spray bottle out in the shop. Great stuff.

Garyshome
08-09-2014, 04:23 PM
From somewhere on the internet......."If you would stop working on junk, you would not need Kroil or blaster"

seagiant
08-09-2014, 05:21 PM
From somewhere on the internet......."If you would stop working on junk, you would not need Kroil or blaster"

Hi,
Never happen! Ha! Ha!

too many things
08-09-2014, 09:09 PM
works for mold release too
if you order from them they will send promos. and you can get it cheaper later.
the pyrolube is best on molds BUT you cant get less than a gal can. And its not cheap .
Oh the site says wholesale but that don't mean anyone cant get it . just has to ship UPS, and not to a PO box

JRPVT
08-10-2014, 08:02 PM
I've been using it for years too. On darn near anything that moves. And it will work its way out of a zip bag that you store it in on the bench. Between Kroil and Simple Green, I've moved just about all the other products off my bench.[smilie=l:
Dave

nicholst55
08-10-2014, 08:15 PM
I just ordered a case of 16-oz aerosol cans for my shop at work. I already have a good supply of 4-oz cans on hand. I use it on everything, and have found that it works really well for cleaning the carbon residue out of 60mm mortar firing mechs!

slide
08-10-2014, 08:22 PM
I use it along with JB paste for bore cleaning. It works well for what I am doing.

jgt
08-11-2014, 12:50 PM
I started using it in the early sixties. It is especially good for penetrating oil and softening up rust. I love it for bore cleaner also.

Bayou52
08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
I started using it in the early sixties. It is especially good for penetrating oil and softening up rust. I love it for bore cleaner also.

Question- How do you use it as a bore cleaner? Simply wet a patch and run it through a couple times?

376Steyr
08-11-2014, 04:09 PM
My standard bore cleaner is a mix of half Shooter's Choice, half Kroil. I think it does a superior job of getting lead and powder fouling out.

anotherred
08-11-2014, 09:50 PM
I did the kroil on my new lee mold that just came. One cavity sticks, but the other 5 throws the bullets out! Works great for a bore cleaner and even loosens rusted nuts & bolts. Awesome stuff!!

Weaponologist
08-11-2014, 10:00 PM
I just bought my first can of Kroil directly from Kano. Haven't used it yet, so I'll read about other's experiences on this thread....

Bayou52

How was the Shipping? The Price for the Kroil it's self isn't bad but I was wondering how bad will the shipping be?
50 to 60 Bucks for a gal. is not bad at all...

too many things
08-11-2014, 10:24 PM
shipping will go by the area . they are in TN so have to look up the rate or call.
anotherred did you clean the lee mold first to get their oil off.? need to get the factory stuff off first.
carb cleaner, and Dawn. dry and heat mold. then put the Kroil on and let it evaporate . then cast

kerreckt
08-12-2014, 04:58 PM
I can't find it right now but have seen the results of testing that shows "Ed's Red" is better at penetrating than Kroil and most every other commercial product i.e. PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD40 etc. I am only talking about penetrating. I use Kroil and think it is great stuff.

jonk
08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
I used to use Kroil until I found Seafoam Deep Creep. For penetration, the latter makes Kroil run away and cry, and aspire to grow up to be that good.

However, Kroil is a better all purpose oil as the Seafoam is pretty thin stuff. So for general cleaning and that I still will use Kroil too.

XDMinent45
08-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Kroil and Simple Green, every mechanism on my bench loves them. Me too!

Clark
08-17-2014, 12:43 AM
I first bought Kroil 12 years ago when Walt Berger owned Berger bullets and Walt used Kroil as part of his Moly process in his bore.

Since then I have got 17,000 views on a video where I use Kroil to get a 1936 Mosin Nagant barrel to unscrew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOjYro4w0Bc

08-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Bayou52 - Patch and wipe

Bayou52
08-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Bayou52 - Patch and wipe

Thanks, 725!

Bayou52

mrvmax
08-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks, 725!

Bayou52

I mix mine 50/50 with Hoppes and use that for a bore cleaner. I read about that somewhere years ago and have been using it for a while. So far I have not found anything better for general cleaning of firearms. There are better cleaners for removing lead but for everything else I use 50/50 Kroil and Hoppes.

gwpercle
08-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Kroil....Guess I'm going to have to shelve that "Marvel Mystery Oil" I have been using and give Kroil a try. I'm still leery of putting anything with oil in the name in my moulds, just have had too many bad experiences putting coatings in a good clean mould. But sounds like a good product.
Gary

Bayou52
08-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Kroil....Guess I'm going to have to shelve that "Marvel Mystery Oil" I have been using and give Kroil a try. I'm still leery of putting anything with oil in the name in my moulds, just have had too many bad experiences putting coatings in a good clean mould. But sounds like a good product.
Gary

I'm a big MMO fan for decades - use it in the oil and gas of all my cars, mowers, etc. Very high detergent oil. But I've not known it to be a "penetrating" oil per se. That's where Kano Kroil comes in.

Bayou52

Three44s
08-18-2014, 09:22 AM
I have found Aerokroil to be the better penetrator with Silikroil in aerosol form to lag behind it. As you apply heat the plain Aerokroil runs to heat where as the Silikroil runs away. (Another good product for breaking loose very stuborn rusted parts is thread cutting oil that has a good amount of sulphur ...... heat the parts and add that stuff, it works probably better than kroil)

I find Silikroil to lube better .... no surprise ....... and it lets the cylinders on my wheel guns to spin as if friction just went out of style.

I also have the graphite version and it's quite the lube but it sure is messy for a while if you get it on unwanted areas.

I like the economy of Kroil in a plain can but feel when the chips are down that the aerosol version might just penetrate better ........... no side by side testing but just observations over the past ten years or so.

To put it mildly, I am a big fan of the Kano line!

Another product I am very enamored with is CorrosionX (not a Kano product) ......... that's for after the Kroil has done it's thing.

Best regards

Three 44s

Clark
08-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Gary

The Marvel Mystery Oil makes an amazing lubricant for drilling mild steel.

John Boy
08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
It's the only thing that can get some rusted parts free.
Have to differ with this statement. Kroil is 4th Looser and expensive

A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils using a torque wrench to measure the foot pounds to loosen rusted test bolts. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

Airman Basic
08-18-2014, 03:42 PM

A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils using a torque wrench to measure the foot pounds to loosen rusted test bolts. The lower the number of pounds the better.

How'd they know the test bolts were equally stuck?:confused:

drizler
08-18-2014, 04:33 PM
I use that mix all the time on nasty rusty cars. It seems to work about as well as anything else like P B Blaster. Lots cheaper and sprays better out of a spray bottle. I spray it on tools too . it stays put like gun oil.

Elkins45
08-18-2014, 04:45 PM

4th loser? Don't you mean second place?

As was asked above, how did they know they were equally stuck? Not that I'm knocking it: I use a 50/50 mix of ATF and mineral spirits to soak my user serviceable silencer in before removing the baffles and it works fantastically.

gwpercle
08-18-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm a big MMO fan for decades - use it in the oil and gas of all my cars, mowers, etc. Very high detergent oil. But I've not known it to be a "penetrating" oil per se. That's where Kano Kroil comes in.

Bayou52

I generally use it as a light oil. My Dad would run it in his car, lawn mower, edger, boat motor and had gallons of the stuff squirreled away in his tool shed that I inherited. Don't like to see things go to waste so I use it as a light oil, in place of 3 in 1.

John Boy
08-18-2014, 08:37 PM
how did they know they were equally stuck?
Not mentioned in the national magazine article. Look at it this way - if the bolts were of uneven rusting - there sure would be some ******** on forums on the Internet - which there aren't

And if you feel the test was skewed in favor of the 50:50 ... Don't Use It and Buy Whatever One Wants To Use or Write to the Magazine and ask your equally stuck question. Or better yet, step to the plate and perform the same test and let us all know the results

Me? If I can soak & remove rusted bolts that are frozen from being in salt water on my duck boat - I'll trust the Article because It Works!

Bayou52
08-19-2014, 05:24 AM
I generally use it as a light oil. My Dad would run it in his car, lawn mower, edger, boat motor and had gallons of the stuff squirreled away in his tool shed that I inherited. Don't like to see things go to waste so I use it as a light oil, in place of 3 in 1.

Hi, gwpercle -

Have you tried using some of your Dad's MMO in your own engines?

I substiitute one quart of motor oil for one quart of MMO routinely when I change the oil in the cars. My oldest Honda has 132,000 miles. Looking in the valve cover opening with a flashlight, there's not so much as a brown film on the metal surfaces.

Looks like the parts are brand new.....bright and shiney...The MMO works very well.

Bayou52

brody
08-19-2014, 02:36 PM

I'm not much of a mechanic, but what is ATF?

Bayou52
08-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I'm not much of a mechanic, but what is ATF?

ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid

mrvmax
08-19-2014, 05:32 PM
How'd they know the test bolts were equally stuck?:confused:

Yep, that factor alone reveals the test is questionable.

alamogunr
08-19-2014, 05:46 PM

It has already been pointed out that Kroil is second looser but if you buy it in a gallon can, the price comes down to about half. I could be off since I bought mine about 5 years ago but still it has many uses and I don't have to mess with acetone.

I have friends that swear that whatever they use is better than anything else. Nuts and bolts just come loose by themselves.

UnderDawgAl
08-20-2014, 10:14 PM
I like Kroil a lot, and I want to try a number of Kano Labs's products. However, I have had equal success using the products from a couple competitors.

opos
08-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Another hobby of mine has been restoring antique farm engines (the flywheel type...hit and miss..."popping johnnys) and they are usually rusted into a frozen hunk of cast iron...Kroil has been my go to for years..there are 2 gallons sitting in my paint locker right now...just waiting for the next rust bucket to show up...the key is patience...it won't release 50 years of solid rust in 15 minutes but in a long term..."Kroil and tap tap" project it does better than much anything else I've found...I like PB blaster but it really stinks..Happy rust!! A couple of "before and after" where Kroil was the savior in freeing up stuck pistons, etc...

Elkins45
08-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Not mentioned in the national magazine article. Look at it this way - if the bolts were of uneven rusting - there sure would be some ******** on forums on the Internet - which there aren't

And if you feel the test was skewed in favor of the 50:50 ... Don't Use It and Buy Whatever One Wants To Use or Write to the Magazine and ask your equally stuck question. Or better yet, step to the plate and perform the same test and let us all know the results

Me? If I can soak & remove rusted bolts that are frozen from being in salt water on my duck boat - I'll trust the Article because It Works!

As I said, I'm not knocking or doubting it. I know firsthand how good ATF is as a penetrating solvent. I just don't know that a test of a few bolts is sufficient to give quantitative data. Still, for the cost difference it makes sense to try the ATF mix first. Kroil ain't cheap!

My silencer soak is ATF and mineral spirits...wonder if it would be better or worse than acetone? I try to avoid breathing too much acetone because supposedly it's a carcinogen, and also just because it really stinks and gives me a headache.