PDA

View Full Version : LC 380 to LC 9?

xs11jack
08-07-2014, 08:53 PM
I just inherited a Ruger LC 380 and would like to make it a 9mm. Can the barrel, slide, and recoil spring be changed to do the job?
Ole Jack

Petrol & Powder
08-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Off the top of my head I would say NO.
Although a .380 Auto and a 9mm Lugar share the same .355" bore, there is significant differences in operating pressures. The 9x17 and 9x19 cartridges may seem similar but they are vastly different in terms of pressures. Even if there was some way to convert that pistol by replacement of the top end (slide, barrel, recoil spring, etc. ), you're looking at almost a whole new pistol. I can't foresee any advantage in attempting to keep only the frame and even that is unlikely to be feasible.

If you want a compact 9mm pistol, go buy one.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-08-2014, 01:04 PM
on any other 380 the answer would be no but the lc9 was first and the early 380s actually were still roll marked lc9 the slide might be different ,might i can't think of why it would be , the barrel is but probably only in chamber and marking

heck you could probably get a smith to run a reamer in to the barrel and load 9mm , the barrel slide and recoil spring inner and outer springs are different all other parts are the same

I would start with a call to ruger and ask , you will know for the price of the call Telephone: 928-541-8892

think about this from the angle of a production engineer , take a gun you already make , back the cutter out and make the barrel 380 not 9mm and replace the recoil springs , and if it works get a new roll stamp for the slide line , and create a gun that can be marketed in countries that do not allow military cartridges to civilians and also to women and recoil sensitive