PDA

View Full Version : Voila! No Leading!

jonp
08-07-2014, 07:51 PM
So, I started playing with my 45ACP again after the leading fiasco I posted in another thread. After much reading and advice from the good members here I changed the seating depth, changed the crimp, lubed with 45/45/10 before sizing down to .452 then using straight Alox again. I also changed powders to Unique at 5gr under the 452-230 TC boolit.

The upshot is after 20 rounds I have a little unburned powder but no leading. Thanks to everyone for the advice and help.

knifemaker
08-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Congrats, now go out and have some fun by shooting up a storm with your own home made boolits.

williamwaco
08-07-2014, 08:10 PM
AND.

Convert a non-shooter.

gray wolf
08-07-2014, 10:36 PM
I changed the seating depth, changed the crimp, lubed with 45/45/10 before sizing down to .452 then using straight Alox again. I also changed powders to Unique at 5gr under the 452-230 TC boolit.

That's good to hear, I wonder what change had the biggest role in your success ?
Change one thing at a time OR change everything, I guess it dosn't matter how you got there,
YOU ARRIVED-- now shoot and enjoy.

jonp
08-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Not sure what it was as i changed everything except the alloy after all of the suggestions and pm's. Now that i have lead/no lead points i am going back to my initial round that caused such problems and start changing one thing at a time to see what i did and avoid that.

I suspect oal and crimp to not be a factor and will change sizing, lubeing and then powder.

runfiverun
08-08-2014, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't not suspect them.
a stronger taper crimp has changed a leading load into a non leading load before.
think about gas flow around the boolit for a second... where is that boolit when the case opens from rising pressure?

jonp
08-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Actually i went from a .469 to a .471. It will one of the things i check

prs
08-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I have gone through the frustration of leading in 45ACP and none of the magic seemed to work in unison or combinations or whole hog. Turned-out to be the design of the barrel leade. After correcting that the "corrected" rounds worked great, so it was not a waste of time as the fellow members here gave me a pretty good education. 20 rounds may not be a sufficient proof test. My abrupt leade barrels would go about 20 rounds before any significant leading would begin; but boy o'boy would it go to h377 in a hand basket after that! If it were too easy, it would not be so interesting.

prs

runfiverun
08-08-2014, 01:02 PM
going that direction changed your boolits diameter that .002...
mucking up a boolit is easy to do in the loading process.
squishing things in a die or not squishing them makes a big difference in FIT.
that's why the LEE leftover mucked up we gotta do something with these rings die, is on so many's do not use list.

jonp
08-08-2014, 05:02 PM
I have a Lee "leftover mucked up we gotta do something with these rings" die. Used it a couple of times and it was not satisfactory with lead. Maybe with jacketed as a final step but it sits on the shelf. The boolit seated without any real bulge and I crimped very little with the Lyman Taper Crimp I bought for this purpose. I will seat and crimp one then pull it and measure it again to see if It changed diameter. Thanks for the tip