PDA

View Full Version : Need information on neck reamer

TNRELOADER
08-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Do any of you know if the Forster inside neck reamer will fit my Hornady LNL Trimmer. If not do any of you have the Forster trimmer. How well does the collet system work.

Thank You and GOD BLESS.

EDG
08-15-2014, 07:46 AM
I have about everything associated with the Forster trimmers except the inside neck reamers.
They might make sense for a guy with few tools but I also have the neck turning attachment and use it instead since it is adjustable. The reamer only follows the existing hole. If the wall of the neck varies the reamer will not correct it.

As far as the collets go the Forster collet system is a push collet and it works great. There is no variation in the case lenght due to case head diameter variations like some of the old discountinued systems had.

Artful
08-15-2014, 01:24 PM
I can't answer you question about LNL trimmer but the Forster trimmer has worked well for me for 20+ years -
I have used several inside neck trimmers - usually for case formed rounds - like 243 made from 308 brass and it does work ok
As EDG said it will depend upon what you want to use it for as for making up 308 cases for match I use the outside neck turner.

TNRELOADER
08-15-2014, 03:20 PM
I was needing something to ream the necks out on 223 brass that I converted to 7.62x25.

EDG
08-15-2014, 03:53 PM
You can often find a used Forster trimmer for $25 if you are patient.

The pilots for the Forster have a .185 shank so I think the hole in the Forster cutter for the reamers is .188. I hope that helps.

Artful
08-15-2014, 06:34 PM
I was needing something to ream the necks out on 223 brass that I converted to 7.62x25.

So that would mean that the last operation on your brass was coming over the expanding die - so my rule of thumb would be to use outside neck turner on it.