PDA

View Full Version : Does shooting PC bullets help to remove leading?

brstevns
08-07-2014, 06:50 PM
I have been searching post but have not found a answer. Does shooting PC bullets help to remove leading in a barrel?

ebner glocken
08-07-2014, 07:51 PM
In my experience there's three ways to get rid of lead fouling or any combination of these three. Those are: chemically, mechanically, or with penetrating oil of some sort. Of the last of those three penetrating oil gets under the fouling and will lift it from the barrel material (it does not break down the lead it just breaks the bond). PC is a lube on the bullet that does not just set there creeping bewteen the metals. It only is in the barrel for a very short duration of time and does not act anything like penetrating oil. So the short answer is "no" it will not remove existing lead in the barrel. It will keep lead from appearing in a clean one though.

Ebner

prickett
08-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Has anyone actually had success with penetrating oil? I submerged my barrel in Kroil for a week and it didn't do squat.

gpidaho
08-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Im not sure. Ive pretty much given up on greasy lube and haven't had a problem with leading with any PC boolit, even when running soft alloy pretty fast. I would guess and only a guess that it would work as well as a gas check as to removing lead. If a boolit is a good fit it wont lead in the first place unless pushed enough to induce skidding. Just my own opinion GP

brstevns
08-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Shot some undersize bullets in my 303 enfield by mistake. These had LLA on them. Leaded the barrel and was just wondering if PC coated bullets would be of help.

True.grit
08-07-2014, 08:16 PM
I only clean with kroil oil. Works 100% of the time. I do not use the duncking method. I think it needs time and some brushing to work properly. I have had no leading with PC at all, even full power rifle.

gpidaho
08-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Brstevns: Okay that could happen. I have a polish Mosin that has a neck too tight for its bore. I just decap clean, prime and stick a .314 bullet back in with my thumb. That's all that will chamber without neck turning. The bore slugs .315+ X.305 throat at .317. Yet the soft alloy powder coat bullet does not lead the bore, even when just .314. Love the stuff. GP

bangerjim
08-07-2014, 10:38 PM
I have been shooting PC in all my cals for about a year now and ever since, I have not had one spec of leading. I am not saying it will remove past mistakes, but once you start using it and forget grease, you will never be soaking your barrels again.

Still.......fit is king.........PC will not solve over/under size mistakes of the past. Size your PC'd boolits for your barrel after slugging it.

Some have claimed shooting PC has actually cleaned some leading out, but I cannot vouch for that. Try it! It can't hurt anything!

Using PC will also allow you to shoot softer lead, saving your expensive elemental alloys.

More boolits, no leading, more fun........cant' t beat that with a stick!

bangerjim

Blanco
08-08-2014, 06:49 AM
I had some leading in my M&P .40 that I had given up on trying to remove. I tried everything, including a chore boy.
After my first session with PC boolits the leading had vanished. So not sure of the scientific process which occurred, but it's gone now and that's good.

sdcitizen
08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Had a bit of leading towards the muzzle of a 308 from tumble lubed plain based boolits. It took 8 rounds of gc powdercoated boolits to clear any trace of lead residue from the bore. Can't find any with a brush or cleaning patches.

flyingmonkey35
08-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Nothing like a drill with a copper brush attached to it to scrub that out.

[emoji205]

Blanco
08-08-2014, 12:58 PM
I would much rather shoot it out of my barrel... so to speak

flyingmonkey35
08-10-2014, 02:44 PM
mabey if your using a gas check????

sawzall
08-10-2014, 03:22 PM
I shot 6 rounds of hot loaded Lee 358-158-RF sized to .357" and 2x tumbled in 45-45-10 out of my 16" Rossi R92 and it leaded bad! 2 shots of the exact same load only powder coated and it was clean as a whistle again. Same load same boolits sized .357" in my RCBS lube sizer with speed green don't lead at all. None of these loads are gas checked btw.

TCTex
08-15-2014, 06:53 AM
I had some leading in my M&P .40 that I had given up on trying to remove. I tried everything, including a chore boy.
After my first session with PC boolits the leading had vanished. So not sure of the scientific process which occurred, but it's gone now and that's good.

from my feeble experance, just shooting properly lubed and sized bullets in my Glock removes leading. V Smith has suggesting just shooting the lead out with good bullets. I don't see why PC bullets would be any different. It might help to use a bullet with a GC, just saying. LOL

Duane

bangerjim
08-16-2014, 12:23 PM
When I first tried HF white ESPC, I made a mistake in my alloy ( made 30:1) for 40SW. Leaded badly BUT accuracy stayed good! It leaded all the way but never got worse, ~100 rnds. Conclusion, it probably will clean some. No, it won't take out the big chunks. HiTek doesn't clean out anything that I can tell. I just use ATF, kerosine & Kroil to clean mine. Hoppe's is for J word stuff.

So how do you get Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms to help you???????

HA....ha.........just could NOT resist!

ATF = auto tranny fluid. (tranny fluid is VERY popular in SF!)

banger