PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Barrels for Glock 19?

fourarmed
08-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I'd like to hear your experience with them. Thinking of getting one for my wife's pistol in order to shoot cast.

Love Life
08-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Waste of money.

Gus Youmans
08-07-2014, 06:12 PM
I recently installed a KKM barrel in my Glock 19. There were no issues with installation and it functions fine with everything I have shot through it. I had to install a higher front sight but have had no other issues. I never seriously shot either the factory barrel or the KKM barrel for accuracy, so cannot comment on that aspect.

Gus Youmans

MGD
08-07-2014, 06:19 PM
I have put two Bar-Sto barrels in Glocks. Both shoot exceptionally small groups at 25 yds. If I feel the need for another Glock, it will get a Bar-Sto. They are a good value for the quality.

Mik
08-07-2014, 06:30 PM
If you shoot cast to save money, the new barrel will more than offset any savings over the first thousand rounds or so. I would save the money and buy several hundred jacketed projectiles (can I say that here?). That will keep you shooting for a while with minimal effort and you will come-out ahead financially.

If you just dislike the idea of shooting jacketed ammunition, go for the barrel. There are plenty of good ones out there, in fact I don't know if there are any "bad" ones.

mtnman31
08-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I installed a Bar Sto semi-drop in barrel on my G21. It went in easily and has proven to have great accuracy potential. It wasn't cheap but I am happy with it. I didn't really need it as the factory barrel had no issues. I just wanted to try it more than anything. Unless you just "want" one or need a threaded barrel, there isn't much need to pull the factory barrel. As has been proven, factory barrels can shoot cast all day.

Petrol & Powder
08-07-2014, 09:09 PM
The first question that comes to mind is, "why"?
I agree with Mik

Mauser48
08-07-2014, 09:10 PM
The lone wold barrels are supposed to be pretty good.

garym1a2
08-07-2014, 09:15 PM
I have a KKM 40 for my glock35 and a lone wolf 9mm conversion for it. I also have a Storm lake 40 and 9mm for my Glock 22.
I rate the two 40's as great and the 9mm as good.
My results where aweful in 40 Cal with the OEM barrels,

Catshooter
08-08-2014, 02:29 AM
fourarmed,

You might be interested in reading the "Truth About Cast and Glocks" thread at the top of this forum.

I buy Lone Wolf barrels but not so I can use boolits but to gain the additional chamber support. My 23 is and older gen 2 and there is a difference. I don't get them for my 9s though.

It's a good thread.

Cat

bobthenailer
08-08-2014, 07:37 AM
IMO here is my ratings ! #1- Barsto- #2- KKM - and a distant #3- Lone Wolf.
I personanly would only buy #1 or #2

claudesapp
08-08-2014, 10:13 AM
I live near the KKM shop, good guys to stop in and chat with. Only have 1 barrel in 45ACP for a G21, and it shoots very well with my cast 45 loads. If I were to rebuy it, I'd just get the threaded one.

DeanWinchester
08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Best hundred dollars I spent was on my Lone Wolf barrel for my 19. Shoots cast better than the factory barrel did and MUCH better on brass. I've had zero issues with it.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
What did the factory barrel do to your brass?

DeanWinchester
08-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Mine would swell enough that after reloads were ran through a FCD they looked like miniature belted magnums.
The Lone Wolf barrel doesn't.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Dang. That's a bummer.

fourarmed
08-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. Our Glock is accurate enough to shoot a bull in the butt if he was in the room with you, but not much more. I would like to try another barrel regardless of what type of ammo is to be used. Bar Sto sounds great, but the price and delay make me want to look at alternatives.

Love Life
08-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Your Glock is only good for hitting a bull's butt at close range? That means it's broken and needs to go back to Glock. I have owned and fired quite a few Glocks, seen quite a few owned and fired, and most of them shot as well as the person holding them could shoot.

Catshooter
08-09-2014, 03:03 AM
I agree with LL. I've owned quite a few and they are accurate machines. I wouldn't want to try for a balloon at 1,000 yards mind you, but they do very well.

Cat

Mik
08-09-2014, 06:32 AM
Your glock should be able to do at least 4 inch groups at 25 yards.

Our department had many different types of service ammunition in circulation and ran a test to see if the different types of ammunition would cause a noticeable difference in point of impact at 25 yards. They put a glock in a ransom rest and fired 200 rounds each of 180gr winchester, 180 grain federal, and 165 grain speer at the same target. The result was a ragged hole in the target smaller than a baseball.

If it can't come close to that with one type of ammunition there might be bit of a problem, it could be the barrel, but it could also be the slide or the frame.

EdS
08-09-2014, 06:55 AM
I put a KKM in my 9mm Glock 34 and was very pleasantly surprised at how much more accurate it is than the factory barrel. This is with either cast or jacketed. Even with the Glock "target" trigger, the trigger pull is nothing to brag about, but I have no trouble getting 1.25" groups at 25 yards. I almost sold my Glock to a friend, but now I Love my G34. -Ed

wellfedirishman
08-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I have a Lone Wolf for my Glock 17 and it shoots accurately and very reliably with cast. It cost about $100 from Brownells and in my opinion was well worth it.

clum553946
08-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I have Lone Wolf barrels for my 27 & 30. For the 27, I bought a .40 to shoot cast & a 9mm just for fun! The 9mm is a hoot to shoot! The recoil is much less than the .40 & is great for plinking! The .40 barrel also works great! The 30 barrel was a replacement to shoot cast bullets, but I rarely use it since Xtreme plated bullets are so reasonable to shoot. The accuracy on the 30 barrel also leaves alot to be desired. I shoot a great deal of cast .40 cause I shoot 140 gr bullets on the rare event when I compete (usually rather slowly! lol!). I have a full race Para Ordinance for that & blow through more .40's than anything! The conversion for the 27 was the best deal in my opinion, just to have the flexibility of another caliber & the fun factor!

gpidaho
08-10-2014, 04:55 PM
My opinion of Glock is that they are combat pistols and as that are built for extreme reliability in less than ideal situations. They are to my mind the AK 47s of the handgun world. Reloaders and especially casters are not the priority in that role. My 17 was given to my daughter-inlaw as a personal protection weapon and serves that purpose very well GP

Love Life
08-10-2014, 05:41 PM
^^Correct in that Glocks are designed as combat pistols. Their biggest detriment to accuracy are the crappy sights. It's like a 4X4 is the front sight post. With careful filing I thinned the front sight on one Glock to get a thinner and more precise front sight blade. It worked well and the groups shrank significantly. You had to be very careful with the grip and slight movement as the Lincoln tunnel sized rear sight notch had tons of room for the sight to move around in and not notice.

However, I then removed those sights and stuck Trijicon night sights on it as the gun is for bringing the ruckus and not a bullseye competition.

Do I believe the Glock can be tweaked to hang with the other more accurate guns used for target shooting? It's possible as people do it with the crappy beretta, but at the end of the day I would rather just buy a target gun and leave my Glocks alone.

DeanWinchester
08-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Glock made a 17 Long Slide that is VERY accurate.

FergusonTO35
08-11-2014, 03:21 PM
I have a Storm Lake barrel on my 19 and it works great. At 10 yards, my usual shooting distance, it is dead on. The factory barrel with the same ammo is 2" high, also it seems to induce more windage "errors" in my shooting. I'm very pleased with Storm Lake and may well get one of their barrels for my Glock 26 when I get it out of layaway.

Clark
08-11-2014, 11:55 PM
I only have 3 Glocks;
1) Glock 20 10mm, the stock barrel has poor chamber support at 0.288". I got a Bar Sto 10mm barrel and a KKM barrel for it.
2) Glock 22 40sw, the stock barrel has poor chamber support at 0.235". I TIG welded up the feed ramp all the way to the case web.
3) Glock 19 9mm the stock barrel has excellent chamber support at 0.190". It can shoot much hotter ammo than a 48 pound triple recoil spring assembly will accomodate.

Lefty Red
08-12-2014, 07:00 AM
I have a Lone Wolf Dist barrel on my G19. Very accurate.

I would say you need practice or the weapon needs to be checked out because your Glock should be accurate.

Jerry

FergusonTO35
08-12-2014, 09:01 AM
The next upgrade mine needs is some real click adjustable, three dot sights. Other than LPA (never in stock) and Meprolight (pricey), anything out there? Thats one thing Ruger nailed on the SR9, they got the sights right the first time.

FergusonTO35
08-12-2014, 10:38 PM
I sent my Storm Lake barrel off to a friend to be Cerakoted and so been shooting the factory barrel for the last week or so. Boy do I miss it. Me, my ammo, and the SL barrel all get along great. The Glock barrel shoots high with every load I have ever tried in it. It's not inaccurate but the having to intentionally aim low just kills my shooting, it's like trying to focus on three different places at once while trying to properly press the trigger. With the SL barrel and my pet loads I just place the front dot on whatever I want to shoot and fire. Hard to believe but the SL barrel even seems to compensate a little for my shaky hands and bad nerves in general.

fourarmed
09-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Well, I ordered a KKM barrel from Brownell's, and I heard from them today that they no longer sell them. Back to the drawing board.

captain-03
09-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Purchased the 9mm Lone Wolf conversion for my G22. Love it!! Now I have two guns in one!! The LW 9mm barrel in the G22 shoots as well as or better than my G17 factory gun.

Catshooter
09-10-2014, 03:41 AM
fourarmed,

I have had excellent experience with Lone Wolfe's barrels. I hate their stupid wolf that they laser into the top of the chamber but other than that they are very good barrels.

Cat

lefty o
09-10-2014, 03:57 AM
Well, I ordered a KKM barrel from Brownell's, and I heard from them today that they no longer sell them. Back to the drawing board.
give B&B enterprises a try, bobby carver does alot of glock stuff, and he carries KKM barrels. as for all the aftermarket glock barrels ive played with and fitted, here's how i rank them
#1 Jarvis
2 KKM
3 barsto
4 storm lake
5 lonewolf

Love Life
09-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Have you checked with KKM?

Thumbcocker
09-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Tried lone wolf barrel. Stock barrel is more accurate and doesn't lead with .358 boolits. I had a Glock mechanic put the 3.5 lb. trigger parts in it and I put on a set of on sale meprolite adjustable signts. Despite my wanting to hate it the G19 is now a boolit shooting machine and a candidate for walk around the woods pistol. Hard words for me to write but true.

Love Life
09-10-2014, 10:00 AM
The trigger on my Gen4 Glock 21 is the smoothest and best Glock trigger I have had to date.

I have had more than satisfactory performance from the stock barrels in several different calibers and Glock models.

However, $100.00 is a small price to pay fo rpeace of mind if that is what a person wants.

cwheel
09-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Peace of mind had more to do with our KKM purchase than anything else. After reading ratings and reviews on line, we found the KKM shop was just above us east of Carson City. My son was exchanging his 1911 for the Glock 30 in the safe for a CCW. We drove up to KKM's shop with several styles of our reloads to do the plunk test with before buying the barrel to check throating of the new barrel, they all were fine. The truth about Glocks thread hadn't been written yet, or I hadn't found it yet, so this purchase was more about peace of mind than anything else. At their shop, good folks to deal with, nice clean modern shop, barrel out the door was in the $150 range for a 45 acp Glock 30. In offhand practice sessions, the new barrel seamed to be a little more accurate than the factory Glock barrel, but neither of us are long term Glock shooters and the better part was hard to quantify in our informal practice sessions. After 3 or more years of having this barrel, no regrets, would do it again, good quality local product that was a drop in fit.
Chris

Love Life
09-10-2014, 11:12 AM
KKM has a nice set up and their barrels are GTG.

Char-Gar
09-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Waste of money.

Amen to that! I am not anti-Glock having two I keep for serious social purposes, but I recognize them for what they are. They are tools, like shovels, hoes, rakes and lawn mowers and not object upon which to lavish attention and money. They are ugly, soulless killing tools.

There are many handguns more deserving of attention and money.

fourarmed
09-10-2014, 01:50 PM
"There are many handguns more deserving of attention and money."

Undoubtedly so, but they don't belong to my wife.

garym1a2
09-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Get a Glock 21, you can have a 10mm conversion for it.

With the Glock 22/35 you can have 9mm,357sig and 40s&W out of the same gun.

They may not seem like the best target handgun to some but they rule in the action sports of USPSA, IDPA and IPSC!