PDA

View Full Version : It drives me nuts about the RCBS LAM I and II

jonk
08-07-2014, 11:29 AM
I like the units and the jobs they do, don't get me wrong; I have one of the old LAM1s and one of the current LAM2s, both bought off the board.

The thing I HATE though is their sizing die retaining nut. 2 reasons.

1. Did they really have to thread it with the FINEST threading they could? Given it's role, getting some residue on it is unavoidable. And that residue makes it nearly impossible to get the nut started.
2. The fact that it is threaded at all. This thing should lock down like a bolt action rifle; push it down, turn, and done. Male stud on the lock, female cut out on the press.
3. The thinness of the nut. To get it going with the thin threads, I have to lower the ram and put weight on it. I have yet to find a wrench that's thin enough to turn the nut without interference from the ram above- which, coincidentally, is the SAME diameter as the nut. It should be slighlty less in diameter to prevent the wrench binding on it.

Anyone do mods to fix these issues?

Airman Basic
08-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Maybe they'll do all that with LAM3?

dragonrider
08-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Keith, The Professor, has a cure far that, not sure he has any right now due to his current condition, but I am sure he will as soon as he can.

Bullshop
08-07-2014, 11:48 AM
They made a thin wrench for the purpose. They used to come with a new unit. Perfect tool for the job. Maybe you never got one because you didn't buy new.

Guesser
08-07-2014, 01:37 PM
I bought a new LAM II about a month ago, no wrench with it or listed in the parts list. Good machine but no better than my old LAM I or either of my 450s. Just different!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-07-2014, 01:50 PM
This thing should lock down like a bolt action rifle; push it down, turn, and done. Male stud on the lock, female cut out on the press.

I like this idea for either the RCBS or the Lyman 450/4500
add a O-ring for a seal...no need to tighten a nut (or setscrew like a Lyman 45), just a 1/4 turn !

Bullshop
08-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Well I guess they quit offering the specialized wench all together then. Too bad as it makes die changing a snap. It even has a ball at the handle to aid in ejecting dies when changing. Just set the ball between the ejector pin bottom and the yoke linkage and lift the handle and dies pop right out.

Coffeecup
08-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I didn't get a wrench with any of my sizing presses, so I use a flat stamped wrench (I think my current wrench came with a tablesaw or similar--I don't know because I got it at a garage sale for $.25).

Jim_P
08-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Just got a Lyman 4500 and it did come with a wrench.

But if we can talk about that "Specialized Wench" Bullshop was referring too... :)

Silverboolit
08-07-2014, 05:42 PM
I put the nut on the sizing die, then insert into frame, put a nickel on the top of the nut, put the ram down for a little weight, take cresent wrench and turn, no problems.

jonk
08-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Keith, The Professor, has a cure far that, not sure he has any right now due to his current condition, but I am sure he will as soon as he can.Thanks. I searched older posts and see what you mean. Just the ticket. I shot him a PM and said that whenever he gets up and about and making things again, I'd be interested in ordering one- but main thing is for him to get well, no rush.

I believe the technical name for the lock idea I have is a bayonet lock. I should email RCBS and Lyman and suggest the idea.

dragon813gt
08-07-2014, 06:14 PM
A regular crescent works just fine. Lower the ram to keep pressure on the die and nut. Then just tighten w/ the wrench. The flats are slightly larger or equal to the ram size so the wrench makes no contact w/ it.

BruceB
08-07-2014, 07:37 PM
I put the nut on the sizing die, then insert into frame, put a nickel on the top of the nut, put the ram down for a little weight, take cresent wrench and turn, no problems.

EXACTLY! I use a penny, but I always was a cheap ol' buzzard,

Seriously, almost any coin will work.... it applies the down-force of the ram's weight evenly to the nut on the die, and reduces the chance of cross-threading.

Great minds DO think alike..... or, desperation forces us onto similar paths. Take your pick.

Catshooter
08-08-2014, 02:23 AM
jonk,

I can recommend the Perfessor's tool completely. I love mine and never change dies without it.

Cat

dromia
08-08-2014, 02:39 AM
I used the tuppeny bit method with success 'till I got the Perfessors tool.