PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Uberti SA "Bisley Model"?

bedbugbilly
08-06-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm getting the "itch" for a new SA revolver. I pretty much am a .38 special shooter and reload most of the time for that cartridge. I'm also starting to play around with BP cartridge loading in the 38s - have shot C & B for 50 years.

Anyway - I have a '51 Uberti Navy that is an excellent shooter. I've been looking at the Uberti 1871 "open top" in 38 spl as well as their "Hombre" in .357. However, I keep going back to their Bisley page - don't know why but this SA intrigues me.

So - anybody have a Uberti Bisley and if so, your thoughts on it as compared to the standard SAA? I've never had one in my hand but I have heard that the grip angle, etc is very comfortable?

Right now - my main SAA style is a Ruger New Vacquero with a 5 1/2" barrel. Shoots great. My other favorite is my Smith M & P with a 5" barrel. If I go with a Bisley, I'm thinking the 4 3/4" barrel? Should shoot as well or close to the NV, the 5" M & P and my 4" Smith CM?

I know that there is quite a difference price wise when comparing the 1871 open top, the Hombre and the Bisley - but I'd save a little longer for the Bisley if it's worth it in terms of the comfort on shooting, the target hammer, etc. And, it would not only be a range shooter (I mainly plink) but a woods gun and carry when out in the desert areas of AZ in the winter time. (Not a CCW).

So, for those have have a Bisley - your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Do you like it better than the standard SAA? Thanks - greatly appreciated.

Piedmont
08-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Good questions. Let me add another: is the grip and hammer an exact Colt duplicate in shape? I was looking at these on Gunbroker perhaps a year ago and thought the shape didn't look quite right. Now I am not so sure.

.22-10-45
08-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Hello, bedbugbilly. I have no experiance with the Uberti Bisley..but I do own a couple of Colt Bisleys, a .32WCF & .38 colt, both
7 1/2". For me the Bisley grip gives a more solid feel than the std. S.A.A. grip..and my hands are not overly large. However, I still find them to be just as sensitive as to holding and P.O.I. as the std. Colt grip.

doc1876
08-07-2014, 10:21 AM
I also have no experience with the Uberti Bisley, however I have several Ubertis in different configurations Walker, 1860, Peacemaker, and they all preform excellent. I have held the Colt Bisley, and like 22-10-45 says, they feel real good

I recently got one of the Lipsey's Ruger Bisley in a less expensive model of the Keith #5, and I really love it. The first .44sp I have owned, and if the first box is any indication, The fit in my hand, and the accuracy will make me very happy. Gave $565 for it, so as far a price an ruggedness, you might think that direction.

Harry O
08-07-2014, 11:45 AM
I have a Uberti Bisley and two Uberti SAA's in 38-40 caliber. The entire grip frame (front and rear) and the hammer are different from each other. Most of the internals, barrel, cylinder, etc are the same for both guns.The Bisley is better at single handed target shooting at eye level than the SAA. The SAA's are MUCH better for drawing out of a holster.

Interestingly enough, Elmer Keith took a Bisley backstrap and a SAA trigger guard/front strap and combined them in his No. 5 revolver. Everyone who has handled one says it is better than both grips that it started with. The Ruger Bisley is fairly close to that shape.