PDA

View Full Version : Other Press Options for CH Half Jacket Dies

lkydvl
08-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Has anyone found Other Press Options for CH Half Jacket Dies?

Or have you modified a press to work with them?

I have a bunch of jackets and plenty of pure lead but the press just operates wrong for me and is kinda weak on leverage. Am looking for a better press option.

Thanks,

Andre`

dodgyrog
08-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Hi Andre - I use a Corbin - best around!

Forrest r
08-06-2014, 06:40 PM
The old herters 9-ton press will use the same setup.

forrest r

runfiverun
08-06-2014, 08:12 PM
press change is most likely gonna mean a die change too.

troyboy
08-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Are the dies special? I was under the impression any press would work

williamwaco
08-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I no longer have the dies but when I did, I used the RCBS Jr.

Safeshot
08-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I am using an old Herter's "C Frame" Press to swage .45 Cal bullets. In the past I have used a Herter,s "O Frame" and a Herter's "U Frame" Press. The "U Frame" Press had an extended handle (The end of the handle was drilled and tapped for a stud and a Pool Ball - drilled, tapped , screwed and epoxied onto the stud and the end of the handle.) This lengthened the effective length of the handle and was more comfortable to use. I have put "Ball" handles on most of my presses.

lkydvl
08-08-2014, 11:16 AM
I am only swaging pistil caliber bullets not rifle. So I have no need for the expense of a Corbin setup or changing die type and such.

Swag-0-matic dies are a different size and thread pattern than current CH4D's swage dies made now. The current dies fit 7/8 x 14. The SOM dies are larger in diam. I don't have a problem converting a current mfg. press to fit them, was just wondering if someone else had so as to avoid making the "same" mistakes they might have.

Andre`

runfiverun
08-08-2014, 12:42 PM
I know what you mean pulling up on the handle is a different sensation.
those dies are an odd diameter and the only thing I have been able to think of is to maybe pull the bushing from one of the older rcbs presses and have another one made.
you'd also have to figure out the rod configuration for the bottom.

Sitzme
08-09-2014, 09:37 AM
The Lee Classic Cast has a larger thread in the press and the ram is also threaded. Maybe you could have adapters built. On the other hand, you could probably find a used SOM for under $150 on eBay if you watch and wait.