PDA

View Full Version : Decided to add a 650 and GSI

AbitNutz
08-06-2014, 12:44 PM
I just ordered a Dillon 650 and a GSI bullet feeder. If you never see another post from me it means it's either all working and I'm busy or my wife found out what it cost.

bullet maker 57
08-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Hopefully it works.

VHoward
08-06-2014, 09:22 PM
The GSI collator is not worth the materials used to make it. The bullet feeder toolhead is worth it. I bought a complete setup. The collator kept jamming up. They could not trouble shoot it. I sent the complete set up back to them for a refund.

AbitNutz
08-06-2014, 09:30 PM
That's disappointing and a bit scary to hear. I hope that I don't have that experience with it. You would think that with all the collators out there that that would be the least problematic piece.

How long ago was this? Could they have made any design changes since you had yours?

The initial setup will be loading 125 gr hard cast 357 magnum. I spoke to their tech folks when I placed the order and directed them to the exact bullet design I was going to use. They were familiar with it and chose the correct ring for me.

I'd hate to get into a situation that I have to choose the bullet based on what will work in the collator. I know some have adapted other collators to work with the toolhead.

It's good to hear that if worse comes to worse and I have to bail that they will take it back and issue a refund.

VHoward
08-06-2014, 11:05 PM
It was 3 months ago. I was doing simple 230 grain round nose for 45acp.
I ended up buying a Mr Bullet Feeder and it works as advertised. I still may go buy a GSI toolhead and use it to feed and seat the bullets so I don't lose the powder check station.

AbitNutz
08-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Wow, that's depressing. At least I'm not exactly the same configuration...If I run into the same problem I'll likely do the same thing as you're thinking. One of the primary reasons I'm going with a 650 is to get the powder check....had a bad experience once and am dedicated to not repeating it.

jmorris
08-06-2014, 11:47 PM
The tool heads are the best way to feed pistol bullets on a 650 and 1050 that I know of. They didn't make collators when I received my first one so I have made all of mine.

I did try and help a friend with his GSI collator and decided it was not a very good design.

The ones I use are based on the old KISS design.

This is one of them that I use on my sizer and reloader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANEMBS_V_0

I make them from 6" PVC and 1/2" plastic. I built simple fixtures to make the wheels.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/DSC01472.jpg

AbitNutz
08-06-2014, 11:53 PM
It was 3 months ago. I was doing simple 230 grain round nose for 45acp.
I ended up buying a Mr Bullet Feeder and it works as advertised. I still may go buy a GSI toolhead and use it to feed and seat the bullets so I don't lose the powder check station.

Do you use the powder funnel/expander from Mr. Bullet feeder as well? I've read different reports about it. From "it's a miracle" to "it stretches the brass too much".

AbitNutz
08-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Now I'm a bit worried...If they flat didn't work I wouldn't think they could be in business but I wonder if there is a magic combination. There seems to be an awful lot of rings for different bullets. I guess that makes sense as there are an endless number of designs. There are 9 different ones for 9mm, plus two more for .357...45 has six. Lets see, at $35.00 ring...I wonder if it's a failed effort of trying to accommodate every style.

They did tell me to use mica or talc on the bullets and threw in a couple of mica packets.

jmorris
08-07-2014, 12:19 AM
Do you use the powder funnel/expander from Mr. Bullet feeder as well? I've read different reports about it. From "it's a miracle" to "it stretches the brass too much".

The collator is the bullet feeder, feeder. If you feed the GSI bullets base down it works quite well. You also don't need any special expander and very little "bell".

This photo shows how much I use on my 45 acp 1050 using cast and coated lead bullets.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20131009_114251_812_zps9121a3df.jpg

Because it holds the bullet as it is seated, you can get away with less bell than another method I have tried, in the last 30 years, without shaving.

jmorris
08-07-2014, 12:23 AM
The only KISS/mrbullet feeder I have is for rifle j-words but it works well too with zero expansion or bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La83ZVKnBzw

Again the collator is a different machine from the feeder.

VHoward
08-07-2014, 10:43 AM

Yes, I have been using the powder funnel from Mr Bullet feeder. I like it. It doesn't stretch your cases any more than belling does and the bullets set in the cases square and straight so they seat properly. Mr Bullet feeder sells the powder funnels separately if you want just the powder funnel.

VHoward
08-07-2014, 10:48 AM
I would like to add that the Mr Bullet feeder collator is based on the same design as Jmorris used. You can use it for any design of bullet. It just takes a small adjustment to go from round nose to swc. You only need one plate for each caliber, not several rings for each caliber just because you load different bullet profiles.

AbitNutz
08-07-2014, 10:55 AM
I would like to add that the Mr Bullet feeder collator is based on the same design as Jmorris used. You can use it for any design of bullet. It just takes a small adjustment to go from round nose to swc. You only need one plate for each caliber, not several rings for each caliber just because you load different bullet profiles.

Do you think it could be adapted to be used with the GSI toolhead?

VHoward
08-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Oh. And while I'm thinking about it. I would load on the xl650 without the bullet feeder on it to get used to it first as each maching has it's own quirks. You don't want to be dealing with possible problems while adding the complexity of the bullet feeder mechanism all at once. After you get comfortable with the operation of the 650, then add the bullet feeder.

AbitNutz
08-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Oh. And while I'm thinking about it. I would load on the xl650 without the bullet feeder on it to get used to it first as each maching has it's own quirks. You don't want to be dealing with possible problems while adding the complexity of the bullet feeder mechanism all at once. After you get comfortable with the operation of the 650, then add the bullet feeder.

I agree and it's likely to happen that way. The GSI won't ship as quickly as the Dillon. I expect there to be a week or more between delivery dates.

VHoward
08-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Do you think it could be adapted to be used with the GSI toolhead?

Yes. It might require a modification. Jmorris could probably provide pictures of how his is hooked up to give you ideas.

AbitNutz
08-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I looked at the Hornady and the RCBS collators and they look pretty much the same...and much simpler. It's interesting to note that the GSI just changed their design for mounting the 650 collator. It's the same as as the 1050 unit now. It mounts on a separate post and not on the toolhead. They use a spring/tube to feed the bullets from the collator to the toolhead. Will it make a difference? Meh? We'll see. It will make it easier to replace the collator with something else if things start heading that direction.

Crosbyman
08-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I bought a GSI for .223 for the 650, and don't like it. I took it off. If anyone wants it, I will take 350.00 for it.

AbitNutz
08-07-2014, 12:36 PM
I bought a GSI for .223 for the 650, and don't like it. I took it off. If anyone wants it, I will take 350.00 for it.

*sigh*...another unsatisfied customer. Care to share how old it is and what you don't like about it?

jmorris
08-07-2014, 06:36 PM
It doesn't stretch your cases any more than belling does
Although I don't have a pistol mrbulletfeeder, they have to do something different that the Dillon part or there would be no point in making it.

This is one of my 650s with the homemade collator.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/feeder1.jpg

There are more photos of how it works here, post 10&11.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232791-Mr-Bullet-feeder-for-star

Not sure why the video in that thread quit working but I also use them on my sizing machine and you can see how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANEMBS_V_0

AbitNutz
08-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Impressive...I'm hoping I don't have to go down this road and it all just works. I've ordered one of the LED light kits in order to help me see what's going on. I'm committed to the GSI toolhead due to being able to retain the powder check. I'm just not ready to give that up.

If ultimately I have to change to a better collator, I guess that's what I'll do.

VHoward
08-07-2014, 11:09 PM
The Mr Bullet feeder powder funnel does what a Lyman "M" die does. You can still bell by adjusting it further down, but there really is no point in it. I haven't had to.