PDA

View Full Version : Testing the Casting Waters

TulaMk2
08-06-2014, 09:47 AM
First post here, so first off hello to all!

I've recently started reloading cast bullets in my .357 that I buy from a member of my local club, and after shooting them and seeing the money that I'm saving by doing it I'm looking to try and do it across more calibres. I'm heading over to the US in a couple of weeks so I was hoping to pick up some kit while I was there. What I'm hoping to do is try and cover as many calibres as possible with as few moulds. The calibres I'm looking to cast for are .303 British, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, and 7.5x55.

I shoot outdoors generally to a maximum of 200 yds, but I would be interested in making up a load that can be used on my indoor range with a lower energy output for the Lee Enfield most likely.

I'm going to be slugging the barrels later this week to find their exact dimensions, but from what I've been reading these moulds, speculatively, cover all the bases?

C312-185-1R - .303 British, 7.62x54R,
TL312-160-2R - 7.62x39, .303 British, 7.62x54R
C309-180-R - 7.5x55
C309-113-F - Indoors .303 British

I'm not, currently, going to shell out for a lubersizer, so could all of these be happily tumble lubed?

My apologies if they're daft questions!

Larry Gibson
08-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Those moulds should cover your rifles unless the .303 or 54R slug out over .313. If so you can enlarge the mould cavities or "beagle" them.

Yes all can be TL'd and will do quite well.

I suggest the TL314-90-SWC instead of the C309-113-F for all the .31 cals for indoor shooting. Use 2.7 gr Bullseye in the 7.62x39 and 3.2 gr Bullseye in the .303 and 54R for excellent loads.

A Lee .309 or .311 sizer for the 7.5x55 and a .314 sizer for the .31 cals will also do nicely to size and crimp on GCs.

Larry Gibson

Wayne S
08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
You should slug the chambers throat, not the bore at the muzzle end. When you have those measurements order your Lee push through sizing dies to the nearest .001 over your measurements. You might check and see if you can fly back with the ready made 45/45/10 Tumble Lube, and yes all the bullets you listed are "happily TL

TulaMk2
08-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'll take on board what you say about the TL314-90-SWC, I had only come across the C309-113-F when searching for the "soup can" I've read about in so many places (Means nothing to me!) but it's great that you have experience with it in the same rifles. Got a tub of bullseye ready as well which is great as powder is difficult to get at a good price.

And you've answered my next question, I was going to ask how many sizing dies I could get away with for these rifles. Looks like I'm going to be heading back with a suitcase full of reloading gear!

Regarding the gas checks, for a beginner would it be worth me investing in something like a Freechex, or should I just buy them and see how it goes for the time being?

Wayne Smith
08-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Where will you be when you are here? If you will be anywhere near the mountains of North Carolina drop by and visit Blammer and pick up a lifetime supply of Gator Checks. He usually has a good stock but give him a heads up ahead of time if you will do this.

leadman
08-06-2014, 01:16 PM
There are vendors in the Vendor section that sell gas checks at very reasonable prices. I usually buy from 338UltraMag. Be aware that most sporting goods stores do not carry an assortment of molds and sizing dies on the shelves. I usually mail order these from several different companies.
If members here know where you are headed that might help you find what you are looking for.

303Guy
08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Welcome aboard, TulaMk2. :drinks:

Some say heavier boolits work better in the Brit and Mosin. I suppose that would depend on the throats. Availability may be an issue too and you do have the x39 to think of so maybe it's best to keep it simple. Besides, heavies consume more lead.

Wayne S
08-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Do you are staying with friends or business associates that will order what you want ahead of time ? Also do not bypass the custom mold makers here. They are more expensive BUT when you order a 314 XXX or 316 XXX mold you know that the bullets you cast will be that Dia.

TulaMk2
08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm heading to Minneapolis, MN. I've been looking for online dealers to buy my dies and moulds from, and I'm thinking that Titan Reloading looks about the cheapest. Staying with the in-laws for a few weeks so I'll have plenty of time to shop around and order online too!