PDA

View Full Version : Want New Barrel For My Renegade

Dixiejack
08-06-2014, 08:08 AM
I have a TC Renegade with left hand lock in .54 cal. I want to change the barrel out to .40 cal. with a 1:12 to 1:16 twist for shooting 380 to 400 gr. cast bullets. Looking for a barrel maker that can make me the above described barrel fitted to my Renegade. Same size barrel, but 30" long. I have also thought about a barrel liner, but don't know if it will be as accurate. Anyone have a favorite barrel maker you would recommend?

fouronesix
08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Any number of muzzleloader barrel makers can probably do it. Something to think about though is a 40 cal, 30" barrel with the Renegade across the flats measurement is going to be both heavy and muzzle heavy! Would probably work OK off the bench.

johnson1942
08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
the oregon rifle barrel co. can do your work for you. you most likely will use the same breechplug and they can do that also. i wouldnt recommend any thing faster than 1/15 twist for what you want and no slower than 1/16. many black powder cartridge shooter shoot a .40 cal and use a 1/16 twist for 1000 yard shooting. i had a .40 once and the draw backs was for me that the the barrel fouled easier than the .45 and was harder to get to shoot properly. finally i sold it as my .50/s and .45/s were so much easier to shoot, set up and clean between shots. the .45/1/18 twist is fool proof. they shoot anything you put down them. i use paperpatch in all of mine now as it is so much easier than a lubed and cast bullet. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

drago9900
08-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Pecatonica River long rifle supply has a .32 caliber green mountain drop-in barrel 220.00. You could get it bored to a larger caliber possibly cheaper than a new barrel and maybe faster. Sorry I did'nt see the left handed part, would need your breach plug.

Dixiejack
09-05-2014, 09:20 PM
the oregon rifle barrel co. can do your work for you. you most likely will use the same breechplug and they can do that also. i wouldnt recommend any thing faster than 1/15 twist for what you want and no slower than 1/16. many black powder cartridge shooter shoot a .40 cal and use a 1/16 twist for 1000 yard shooting. i had a .40 once and the draw backs was for me that the the barrel fouled easier than the .45 and was harder to get to shoot properly. finally i sold it as my .50/s and .45/s were so much easier to shoot, set up and clean between shots. the .45/1/18 twist is fool proof. they shoot anything you put down them. i use paperpatch in all of mine now as it is so much easier than a lubed and cast bullet. good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks, johnson. I have decided to go with a .45 with 1/18 twist and grease groove boolits. I also need to look for a boolit mould. I'm thinking about a 500 gr. boolit.

DIRT Farmer
09-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Contact Tip Curtis Frontieer Shop, I know that he has right hand breech plugs with standard thread, not the TC thread, not sure about left hand, depending on supply he should have barrels. He will be at Friendship till after 9/23 so he may or may not get email till he gets back.

Good Cheer
09-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Bob Hoyt lined my lefthand New Englander to a .458" bore and 24" twist.
Perfection.